snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 15 March 2018, 08:45 PM

Florida New Pedestrian Bridge at FIU Collapses, Killing Multiple People

A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews had dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place in a project that was intended to give Florida International University students a safe route across the busy roadway.

The bridge crashed across six lanes of heavily traveled Tamiami Trail, crushing a still undetermined number of cars and killing a still unclear number of people. Police on the scene said at least six people could be dead.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...205316174.html
Old 16 March 2018, 02:08 PM

Roll eyes

People are saying "how could they let cars travel beneath an unfinished bridge"? I don't see that they had many choices. I mean, yes, they could close lanes of the freeway during certain stages of the project, but they can't close the entire freeway.

A pedestrian bridge similar (in idea, at least) is to be built across I-5 at Northgate. It's going to be very long, per this design sketch. Ultimately, it will have to cross 8 lanes of the freeway, plus an off-ramp. At least they can cross in stages.

Seaboe
Old 16 March 2018, 02:43 PM

Cars travel under unfinished bridges, and bridges that are being repaired/replaced, all the time.
Old 16 March 2018, 04:15 PM

The security camera footage I saw on the news this morning will give a structural engineer a good place to look for the cause of the failure since the video seems to show the point of the initial failure.
Old 16 March 2018, 06:19 PM

Glasses

BoKu posted some pictures on facebook and was discussing the purpose on a particular item. Something about a tensioner.

Seaboe
Old 16 March 2018, 06:29 PM

Like Lanie said, you travel under unfinished bridges all the time. I currently drive under three or four unfinished bridges on the way to work.

The bridge was being built using a rapid assembly procedure that is designed to minimize how long the road underneath was closed. Six days ago (March 10) this technique and this bridge was considered a marvel;
FIU installs new pedestrian bridge over the Trail in a few hours
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...204506084.html
Old 16 March 2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
BoKu posted some pictures on facebook and was discussing the purpose on a particular item. Something about a tensioner.Seaboe
An article I read this morning said that they had already determined that the suspension cables where not at the proper tension and where in the process of tightening the tension on the cables when the bridge collapsed.