snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 04 July 2007, 08:16 PM

Snake Busting Summer Myths

Common Summer Safety Misconceptions, from Snakebites to Swimming:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Summer...ory?id=3338075
Old 05 July 2007, 04:52 AM

Icon24

So some people really call a hangover "the queasies" ??
Old 05 July 2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
So some people really call a hangover "the queasies" ??
Not only have I, like you, never heard of this in my entire life (or frankly, anything referred to as "the queasies"), I don't think the article was talking about a hangover here. Although IMO it is true that the staying hydrated thing is by far the best way to prevent a hangover (and what; I am doing right now), I think instead the article was using "the queasies" to refer to an upset stomach a la food poisoning or something like that. Not only are there no bacteria involved in a hangover (hopefully!), but if your hangover takes a "couple of days" to go away, I recommend you change your drinking patterns!

Still, I find that nothing settles the stomach like pepto bismol. Even if the effect is mostly/purely psychological, I feel so much better after a shot of the ole PB!

ETA: A google search for "the queasies" reveals it referring to motion sickness or morning sickness, but neither hangovers nor food poisoning.

Last edited by Jahungo; 05 July 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05 July 2007, 07:23 AM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
ETA: A google search for "the queasies" reveals it referring to motion sickness or morning sickness, but neither hangovers nor food poisoning.
Add me to the list of never hearing that usage with Montazoma's revenge (okay, no option near what I mean on spell check. I think this is how we ended up with "queasies".

Also, I would also like to add to this list. If you only put on sunscreen once you are protected.

False: have a brain. Thank you.

( I swear, I'm going to start a running bet on when the random 'it's that time of year' articles start showing. Also, double bets that amusement park stories are the shark stories of this year and about August we will get stories of backpacks are too heavy for kids.)
Old 05 July 2007, 08:44 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Any snake that has yellow in its skin is dangerous.
Huh? I can think of several non venomous and completely harmless snakes that have "yellow in their skin." In fact, I can't really think of any species of snake that dosen't occasionally have some shade of yellow in the belly or back scales.
Old 05 July 2007, 09:11 AM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie23 View Post
Huh? I can think of several non venomous and completely harmless snakes that have "yellow in their skin." In fact, I can't really think of any snake that dosen't have some shade of yellow in the belly or back scales.
Yeah, talk about useless advice. Snakes with yellow: corn snake, milk snake, king snake, coral snake... I suppose it's okay to avoid them all but (if I recall correctly) only the coral is poisonous -- the most poisonous snake in North America. On the other hand, coral snakes aren't very likely to bite you.

Come to think of, none of the (few) poisonous snakes I've seen in the Eastern US did have a noticeable amount of yellow! (Diamondbacks, copperheads... -- and they are pretty likely to bite you, if you bother them.)

Unfortunately, there isn't any easy test for poisonous vs. non-poisonous. Just leaving all snakes alone is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Old 05 July 2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
People don't realize that there are snakes all around the country, not just in the desert.
I thought I was safe from snakes, here in swampy Florida.
Old 06 July 2007, 11:38 AM
Seraphina

Quote:
Remove any constricting jewelry, wrap a loose dressing around the area and maintain it above heart level, if you can. Head to the hospital. Trying to suck out venom won't help and can damage soft tissue around the bite, says Edward J. Wozniak, an ophiologist at the Texas A&M University Institute for Biosciences and Technology in Houston.
I always thought that this is the correct method;
First Aid for Snake Bites:

Do NOT wash the area of the bite!

It is extremely important to retain traces of venom for use with venom identification kits!

Stop lymphatic spread - bandage firmly, splint and immobilise!

The "pressure-immobilisation" technique is currently recommended by the Australian Resuscitation Council, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/venom/s....html#firstaid
Old 06 July 2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
I thought I was safe from snakes, here in swampy Florida.
Yes, who are these "people" who believe there are only snakes in the desert? They must live in the desert, because if they lived anywhere else they'd know there were snakes there.

I spent my young childhood in Arkansas, and by the time I was 4 I knew that snakes were plentiful especially under rocks, in piles of leaves or high grass, and in swimming holes. I do not think I was a genius to know this, it was pretty common knowledge among children and adults alike. The most common snakes around my house were cottonmouths and copperheads, which have no yellow but are venomous, plus maybe a rattlesnake with some yellow, but really the rattle is a better signal there!

I visited family in Oklahoma and Louisiana as a child, and found there were snakes in scrubby areas and swamps, too. And when I moved to Virginia, there were snakes in the woods there, just like in Arkansas. Nobody there ever expressed the idea that snakes live only in the desert. Even when I moved to San Antonio for college, which is in the desert, I never met anyone who thought the desert had some sort of snake monopoly.
Old 06 July 2007, 05:26 PM
charlie23

I think we can safely assume this here ar-ti-kul was written by a city dweller nestled safely in his/her cubicle.
Old 06 July 2007, 05:38 PM

Icon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
Still, I find that nothing settles the stomach like pepto bismol. Even if the effect is mostly/purely psychological, I feel so much better after a shot of the ole PB!
I find that nothing is more likely to trigger a vomitting attack than taking Pepto Bismol. The taste, along with toothpaste or anti-nausea syrup, is among one of a few things that cause instant retching when I am not feeling well.

Avril
Old 06 July 2007, 06:35 PM

*whispers* I like the taste of Pepto Bismol. But it does nothing for me.

Morrigan
Old 07 July 2007, 05:56 AM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
*whispers* I like the taste of Pepto Bismol. But it does nothing for me.

Morrigan
I like the taste too...it prompted my first 'drug' lecture from my mom. I pretended to have a stomach ache because I wanted 'pepto bismo' as I caled it (our local drugstore always put the price sticker in the same place; I never saw the 'l' until my mom got sick of me calling it that and peeled of the sticker once to show me).

She gave it to me.

She waited about ten minutes.

Then she sat down and started talking to me about how medicines were drugs, and drugs were bad, and if you took medicine when you weren't sick, it was the same as taking drugs and that it could make you very sick. I started crying, and she reassured me that my pepto bismo wasn't going to make me sick....leaving me very confused.

But I still love the taste today....
Old 10 July 2007, 04:01 PM
Dog Friendly

Try wintergreen Life Savers. Or the pink Necco wafers. I, too, love the flavor of wintergreen, and would buy Necco wafers by the case if they sold all-pink packages the way they sell all-chocolate ones.

Avril, you should probably avoid brushing your teeth in conjunction with taking Pepto-Bismol.

I was about twelve when not one of the dozen or so adults I asked at a public swimming pool could give me any kind of an explanation for why it was dangerous to go swimming after eating. Particularly since what I'd eaten was, in fact, a candy bar. So I went swimming, and didn't drown.
Old 10 July 2007, 05:29 PM

We have snakes up north..here in New England. There is only one kind of venomous snake that lives here...in an area called Blue Hills, which is in the rich suburbs right outside of Boston, they have found a species of Rattle Snake...they had them on display at the guest center/small zoo when we went on a hiking field trip....kinda scared the crap out of me, being 13 and petrified of snakes.