snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 14 May 2007, 03:08 AM
graduatepsychstudent

Icon05 Innie and Outie Belly Buttons

A friend of mine had noticed that all three of my children have outie belly buttons. She questioned why I hadn't taped quarters to their bellies when they were babies to prevent this from happening. She said her family for generations has done so and there isn't a single outie in her family. She even said her sister had an outie for a while, but her mother didn't want that and so she taped a quarter there for two weeks and it went back in. What in the world? I never thought one way or the other about innies or outies, let alone how I could "train" the first scar my children ever received for how to be more socially acceptable. I told her I had never heard of such, and it had to be an old wives tale, but she insisted that it is done, has been done and that it works. As to the veracity of the tale, I am not concerned. I am however, curious as to how prevalent this tale is. Have you heard of it? Is it widely attempted? Why are outies seen as something to prevent?
Old 14 May 2007, 03:14 AM

I've never heard of that, I doubt it would work. When my mom was eighteen she popped her outie belly button with a pin to make it an innie, and it ended up getting infected, but that's a whole other story...

ETA: Welcome to Snopes!
Old 14 May 2007, 03:39 AM

Icon97

Welcome to the boards! I don't see how that could work either. My two oldest kids both have innies. My youngest has an outie.
Old 14 May 2007, 03:41 AM

Since most people have innie belly buttons (90% according to an uncited Wikipedia article), your friend's family would be likely to have innies whether they intervened or not. (I could say that all of my children are right handed because I tied their left hands to their sides when they were infants.)

Wiki says:
Quote:
The reason for the occurrence of an outie is extra skin left from the umbilical cord or umbilical hernias, although a child with an umbilical hernia will not necessarily develop an outie. As well as the visible depression on a person's abdomen, the underlying abdominal-muscle layers also present a concavity; thinness at this point contributes to a relative structural weakness, making it susceptible to hernia.
My third baby had an umbilical hernia when she was about two months old. The doctor (who'd been my dad's doctor when he was a baby) said back in the old days he would have recommended binding her belly with a quarter over the navel, but that they've since found that that is ineffective. With our daughter, as with most, he said, the hernia went away on its own.
Old 14 May 2007, 03:41 AM

I think "outie" belly-buttons look weird in an unpleasant way, but that's because everyone I know has an "innie". To each his own severed umbilical cord...
Old 14 May 2007, 03:44 AM

pfft. they're all just heaolous that THEY don't have outies!

I soooooooo wanted an outie that through my teens, I wore a bandaid [usually one with cartoon characters on, of course] over my [very innie] bellybutton!

The Mr has a "flattie" - his innie is so round and flat that you could lay a small coin in there. I'm also jealous of that one....
Old 14 May 2007, 04:07 AM
sparklygirl

I always heard it when I was growing up. My youngest brother had a quarter taped to his belly button for quite a while. Although I don't attribute it to the quarter he did grow up to have an innie.
Sparklygirl
Old 15 May 2007, 01:49 AM
We'veBeenHad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Wiki says:

My third baby had an umbilical hernia when she was about two months old. The doctor (who'd been my dad's doctor when he was a baby) said back in the old days he would have recommended binding her belly with a quarter over the navel, but that they've since found that that is ineffective. With our daughter, as with most, he said, the hernia went away on its own.
I had the same thing, and grew out of it as well. My daughter also spent her first 5 or 7 years with an outie for the same reason, and hers went away too. The Dr. said if it didn't, we could operate but it would be purely cosmetic. I wasn't about to do that; if she had stayed an outie and wanted surgery later that would be her own decision.
Old 15 May 2007, 02:19 AM

I can't recall one child that had a quarter taped to their belly button, but I heard about it enough as I was growing up, so someone must've had one.
Old 15 May 2007, 03:36 AM

Icon97

I've never heard of the quarter part, but my grandma said that when she had her children, the hospital gave mothers "binding belts". They were just thick cotton rags you wrapped around the babies belly so they would have an "innie".

My 3yo daughter has an outie like nothing else. No part of it goes in, at all, and it sticks about a third of an inch out of her tummy. Honestly, I couldn't care less. (in fact, it may keep her from wearing belly-bearing shirts as a teen, and that's ok by me! ) I was told it all depended on how the cut umbilical cord healed. And I'm with We'veBeenHad, if she wants it "corrected" when she is older, that's up to her. We aren't going to do it to her just for looks.
Old 15 May 2007, 06:17 AM

People sure are weird about belly buttons.

When I was a kid at summer day camp, all the girls changed into their swimsuits together in the girls' bathroom, and the boys changed together in the boys' bathroom (the bathrooms were single, large units without partitions.) I remember one day the innocent little angels got it into their heads to refuse entry to any girl with an "outie," because "that's gross!" Apparently, it wasn't seeing the belly button itself that grossed them out, as the girl they excluded had worn two-pieces before; it was as though letting her in would be akin to letting a boy in while they were changing. (I didn't know who Freud was at the time, but that memory came back to me when I studied the history of psychology in college.) I had to lift my shirt to prove I had an "innie" to get past the barricade. At first, I was just relieved to not be the one they were excluding, for once. Then, once I got inside and realized my friend Kimberly was outside crying, I felt horrible.

I had a taste of what a freak she must have felt like a few years later, when my older cousin was showing off her new navel ring. I thought the idea of wearing jewelry on one's stomach was teh kewlest thing evr!!! (and still do, kind of) especially since my mom wouldn't even let me pierce my ears. I asked my cousin how old you had to be to get one, and she laughed at me. She said I didn't have a normal belly button, and therefore couldn't get it pierced. She pointed to her own navel, which had a shallow depression partially obscured by a tiny fold of skin across the top. It was this fold that was pierced. My belly button didn't look like that; mine looked more like the indentation left when someone stuck a finger into a ball of Play-Doh. She said that since I didn't have that piece of skin, I could never get mine pierced. I was terribly upset, and carried the despair of having a freakishly unpiercable belly button for a long time.

Years later, I met a girl with a navel that looked almost exactly like mine--and it was pierced. She rolled her eyes when I told her what my cousin had said, and pinched up a bit of skin on her arm. "See this?" she said. "Anywhere you can do this, they can pierce. It's not (expletiving) rocket science."

I'm not sure she was right about that, but I was able to get my flap-less navel pierced at eighteen, and I've loved it ever since. When I change the barbell, I always think my unadorned stomach looks strange and naked.

I remember one other time belly buttons were a huge issue among my social circle. One night my freshman year of college, a bunch of us did several shots in a row and decided it would be a good idea to play strip poker. None of the girls was hesitant to remove her pants or top, but one insisted on keeping her navel covered. It was very weird to be sitting around in a nearly naked coeducational group of piss-drunk eighteen- and nineteen-year-olds, one of whom had cleavage, moles, and cellulite galore exposed but refused to let us see her belly button. I never did see it, and I never would have thought about it had she not been so adamant, but ever since then my curiosity was piqued. What could be so private about that ordinary little scar that she would rather cover it than her tits?
Old 15 May 2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Years later, I met a girl with a navel that looked almost exactly like mine--and it was pierced. She rolled her eyes when I told her what my cousin had said, and pinched up a bit of skin on her arm. "See this?" she said. "Anywhere you can do this, they can pierce. It's not (expletiving) rocket science."

I'm not sure she was right about that, but I was able to get my flap-less navel pierced at eighteen, and I've loved it ever since. When I change the barbell, I always think my unadorned stomach looks strange and naked.
Small hijack, but yes, she was right. However, anywhere without a natural ridge usually needs specially-shaped jewellery, called surface bars, or it tends to grow out. [/hijack]

I've never understood why people are weird about belly-buttons. I suppose it's just one of those different = bad things.
Old 15 May 2007, 06:12 PM

This thread has made me realise that I don't know whether mine is in or out! I suspect out because there's not much of a hole but it's mostly sunk into my belly (I don't have a big belly but any flesh at all makes a fold) and so doesn't stick out. I also vaguely remember it being more protuding when I was little but I now have a slightly more womanly belly so it looks different now.

For curiosity's sake, I pushed into my belly to see it better and the only hole is a curved line underneath a little blob. It was like my belly button was smiling at me!

This concludes that I clearly have never cared about belly buttons (so perhaps it shouldn't be smiling at me?). Nor has anybody else who's known me as I've never been pelted with rotten vegetables by people with pitchforks, fearful of my freakishly different belly button.
Old 15 May 2007, 06:59 PM

This thread has made Sandra Boyton's Belly Button Book run through my head.

"Beebo!"

I so need to get out more.
Old 15 May 2007, 07:39 PM

Other than being handy to store salt in whilst lying on your back and eating radishes, I don't see any advantage to having an innie. Just one more silly thing for folks to fixate on and pick on people about!
Old 16 May 2007, 01:11 AM
graduatepsychstudent

Well, thanks yall. I guess I can't call my friend and her family totally weird since others have heard about it too. Of course she is standing by it as the gospel truth since it has "worked" in her family for generations. When I told her that 90% of the population has innies anyway, she figured more people must be using the quarter method than she had thought!
Anyway, since this was something I had never even thought of, add this as another concern I'll have for my children to be treated differently. I had only previously considered the things I was picked on for, ya know... the basics: my second toe being longer than my first, I spoke "wrong", my parents didn't have the "coolest" whatever, my parents had something that was too cool, and on and on and on... kids are so mean.
I really joined this group to give feedback to others and the first thing I do is ask a question. Thank yall for being here when I just can't ask anyone else.
Old 30 May 2007, 08:30 PM

I did tape a quarter on my son's belly button when he was a baby and he does have an innie, it really did seem to make a difference but I have no clue why. He probably would have had an innie anyway, it seemed to make the process faster maybe the quarter taped to it just pushed the stub in and helped it start healing that way I didn't see any point in it but my mil is very bossy and I didn't see what it could hurt.

There is also another part of the tale that I've heard that you push the belly button in with an egg, tape the quarter to it and then bury the egg. I didn't want to waste any eggs, though.
Old 30 May 2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graduatepsychstudent View Post
I had only previously considered the things I was picked on for, ya know... the basics: my second toe being longer than my first. . .
Oi. Kids can be such nasty little things. That's not even uncommon.