snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 October 2017, 02:27 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
For those whose own children say the first, it made me wonder how often Mom drives when both Mom and Dad are in the car. Because if Child only ever sees Mom driving when Dad isn't available, then it's not that odd that s/he would think women only drive when men aren't around. Something to think about, anyway.
I know both my daughters say "My Mom can't drive."

They both now have their licences and still say that. I've been gone for years of their growing up (work related) and Mom has been the only driver during that time. But they recognised early that hard stops, hitting curbs, frequent evasive manoeuvres and horns being honked are not signs that you are in a car controlled by a skilled driver.

Now, my wife also recognises that she is not a good driver. She did not want to teach our daughters how to drive. I did when I was around, but we also paid for a professional driving school for both.

I know that is a far cry from "Women can't drive", but if someone heard that from my daughter, they might wonder...
Old 19 October 2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I can't find the thread where there was a discussion about young children saying things like "women can't drive" or "women can't be doctors".

For those whose own children say the first, it made me wonder how often Mom drives when both Mom and Dad are in the car. Because if Child only ever sees Mom driving when Dad isn't available, then it's not that odd that s/he would think women only drive when men aren't around. Something to think about, anyway.

Seaboe
I was part of that conversation and I think this is a valid point. Certainly it's the rare situation among my family and friends where "Mom" drives if "Dad" is in the car. That doesn't change that kids do see women driving but as you say definitely something to think about.
Old 19 October 2017, 02:46 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Certainly it's the rare situation among my family and friends where "Mom" drives if "Dad" is in the car. That doesn't change that kids do see women driving but as you say definitely something to think about.
I find that interesting. My Mom did most of the family driving growing up. Dad controlled the radio. Dad did drive some times, but for family outings, Mom did the lions' share of the driving.

And with my family, it depends on which car. Get in the orange car, my wife drives. Get in the white car, I drive.

I never really looked at driving as a male thing. Need to be more observant when I am out.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:24 PM

Driver

My wife does not like to drive, so unless there is a compelling reason, I drive, even though the car technically belongs to her. This has led my nieces to believe their aunt, my wife, can't drive.

they know women can drive because their mother and grandmothers drive them around, but in our car, only uncle knows how to drive even though I have told them that, yes, my wife knows how to drive.
Old 19 October 2017, 05:03 PM

I work in IT for a large corporation. When my area needs estimates from other areas of IT, we submit a formal work request. If the request is associated with one of our internal work requests (called WRTs), we include the WRT number in the name.

I received a corrected estimate for a request associated with one of our WRTs, and forwarded it to the woman who manages WRTs on the business side (approving/rejecting, prioritizing, slotting/assigning to a team, etc.). The request name, including our WRT number, was in the subject line of the email.

She responded "Which WRT is this associated with?"

To be fair, she doesn't submit the requests, so she doesn't know the naming convention. The request name is long and written without spaces, so I could see how the WRT number would get lost if you weren't familiar with the convention. Plus she's been sick with the flu, and is (I hope) still at home, but answering some emails.

But at some point I really should explain the naming convention, for her convenience.
Old 19 October 2017, 06:26 PM

Glasses

Lainie, it's been my experience that a lot of people miss information if it's only in the subject line. I sometimes send inquiries about people, computers and legal matters to our IT people. We include the person's ID number, the computer's asset tag number, and the matter number in our subject line. I've learned, however, that I need to repeat all of those numbers in the body of the email or I'll be getting a reply asking for one of the three (rarely for all three).

Seaboe
Old 19 October 2017, 07:19 PM

Good point. I've learned to pay closer attention to subject lines because when my boss has a very short message for us, she'll often just put it in the subject line with "EOM" (end of message) at the end. Like:

Quote:
Mary is sick and won't be in today EOM
Old 20 October 2017, 11:35 AM

A friend just shared this video about the various boundaries used for "London":

Do you live in London?

For some reason I've long been fascinated by these definitions (because I like looking at the maps, I think) and I always tend to imagine needing to explain them to people on the boards, like when people sometimes get confused about "the UK" and so on. So now you can just watch the video instead.

(I don't live in London by any definition, although I'm only 6.5 miles from the nearest Underground station. Even if that is Amersham).
Old 20 October 2017, 01:52 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(I don't live in London by any definition, although I'm only 6.5 miles from the nearest Underground station. Even if that is Amersham).
You live out in the British Backwoods. So far back, in fact, you have to leave a pub in London proper promptly at 11pm just to catch the last train to the middle of nowhere.

Old 20 October 2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
No.

That was easy, don't know what all the fuss is about.
Old 20 October 2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
There are a load of comments under the video saying "This is actually very simple. If you live within one of the 32 London Boroughs or the City of London, that is, within the Greater London area, then you live in London. If not, then you don't. Pointless." I can't help but think they've missed the point a bit...!

So who knows, maybe you do live in London after all.
Old 20 October 2017, 11:08 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
No.
In your case? The confusion is caused by your proximity to the London Bridge.