snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #861  
Old 19 October 2017, 02:27 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,655
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
For those whose own children say the first, it made me wonder how often Mom drives when both Mom and Dad are in the car. Because if Child only ever sees Mom driving when Dad isn't available, then it's not that odd that s/he would think women only drive when men aren't around. Something to think about, anyway.
I know both my daughters say "My Mom can't drive."

They both now have their licences and still say that. I've been gone for years of their growing up (work related) and Mom has been the only driver during that time. But they recognised early that hard stops, hitting curbs, frequent evasive manoeuvres and horns being honked are not signs that you are in a car controlled by a skilled driver.

Now, my wife also recognises that she is not a good driver. She did not want to teach our daughters how to drive. I did when I was around, but we also paid for a professional driving school for both.

I know that is a far cry from "Women can't drive", but if someone heard that from my daughter, they might wonder...
Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 19 October 2017, 02:34 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I can't find the thread where there was a discussion about young children saying things like "women can't drive" or "women can't be doctors".

For those whose own children say the first, it made me wonder how often Mom drives when both Mom and Dad are in the car. Because if Child only ever sees Mom driving when Dad isn't available, then it's not that odd that s/he would think women only drive when men aren't around. Something to think about, anyway.

Seaboe
I was part of that conversation and I think this is a valid point. Certainly it's the rare situation among my family and friends where "Mom" drives if "Dad" is in the car. That doesn't change that kids do see women driving but as you say definitely something to think about.
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 19 October 2017, 02:46 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,655
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Certainly it's the rare situation among my family and friends where "Mom" drives if "Dad" is in the car. That doesn't change that kids do see women driving but as you say definitely something to think about.
I find that interesting. My Mom did most of the family driving growing up. Dad controlled the radio. Dad did drive some times, but for family outings, Mom did the lions' share of the driving.

And with my family, it depends on which car. Get in the orange car, my wife drives. Get in the white car, I drive.

I never really looked at driving as a male thing. Need to be more observant when I am out.
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 19 October 2017, 04:24 PM
Alarm's Avatar
Alarm Alarm is offline
 
Join Date: 26 May 2011
Location: Nepean, ON
Posts: 5,094
Driver

My wife does not like to drive, so unless there is a compelling reason, I drive, even though the car technically belongs to her. This has led my nieces to believe their aunt, my wife, can't drive.

they know women can drive because their mother and grandmothers drive them around, but in our car, only uncle knows how to drive even though I have told them that, yes, my wife knows how to drive.
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 19 October 2017, 05:03 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,387
Default

I work in IT for a large corporation. When my area needs estimates from other areas of IT, we submit a formal work request. If the request is associated with one of our internal work requests (called WRTs), we include the WRT number in the name.

I received a corrected estimate for a request associated with one of our WRTs, and forwarded it to the woman who manages WRTs on the business side (approving/rejecting, prioritizing, slotting/assigning to a team, etc.). The request name, including our WRT number, was in the subject line of the email.

She responded "Which WRT is this associated with?"

To be fair, she doesn't submit the requests, so she doesn't know the naming convention. The request name is long and written without spaces, so I could see how the WRT number would get lost if you weren't familiar with the convention. Plus she's been sick with the flu, and is (I hope) still at home, but answering some emails.

But at some point I really should explain the naming convention, for her convenience.
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 19 October 2017, 06:26 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,437
Glasses

Lainie, it's been my experience that a lot of people miss information if it's only in the subject line. I sometimes send inquiries about people, computers and legal matters to our IT people. We include the person's ID number, the computer's asset tag number, and the matter number in our subject line. I've learned, however, that I need to repeat all of those numbers in the body of the email or I'll be getting a reply asking for one of the three (rarely for all three).

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 19 October 2017, 07:19 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,387
Default

Good point. I've learned to pay closer attention to subject lines because when my boss has a very short message for us, she'll often just put it in the subject line with "EOM" (end of message) at the end. Like:

Quote:
Mary is sick and won't be in today EOM
Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 20 October 2017, 11:35 AM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,194
Default

A friend just shared this video about the various boundaries used for "London":

Do you live in London?

For some reason I've long been fascinated by these definitions (because I like looking at the maps, I think) and I always tend to imagine needing to explain them to people on the boards, like when people sometimes get confused about "the UK" and so on. So now you can just watch the video instead.

(I don't live in London by any definition, although I'm only 6.5 miles from the nearest Underground station. Even if that is Amersham).
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 20 October 2017, 01:52 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,655
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(I don't live in London by any definition, although I'm only 6.5 miles from the nearest Underground station. Even if that is Amersham).
You live out in the British Backwoods. So far back, in fact, you have to leave a pub in London proper promptly at 11pm just to catch the last train to the middle of nowhere.

Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 20 October 2017, 02:21 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 24,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
No.

That was easy, don't know what all the fuss is about.
Reply With Quote
  #871  
Old 20 October 2017, 04:05 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That was easy, don't know what all the fuss is about.
There are a load of comments under the video saying "This is actually very simple. If you live within one of the 32 London Boroughs or the City of London, that is, within the Greater London area, then you live in London. If not, then you don't. Pointless." I can't help but think they've missed the point a bit...!

So who knows, maybe you do live in London after all.
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 20 October 2017, 11:08 PM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,020
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
No.
That was easy, don't know what all the fuss is about.
In your case? The confusion is caused by your proximity to the London Bridge.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unhijackable Seaboe Muffinchucker SLC 1056 08 March 2017 02:17 AM
Unhijackable quink SLC 17 21 November 2016 12:45 AM
Unhijackable smittykins SLC 1014 28 April 2016 11:19 PM
Unhijackable Gutter Monkey SLC 1054 25 June 2015 02:31 AM
Unhijackable Seaboe Muffinchucker SLC 1003 15 December 2014 06:24 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.