snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 16 September 2016, 01:16 PM

Canada This Small Town Will Give Land and a Job to Anyone Willing to Move

Cape Breton is a small island at the eastern end of Nova Scotia. It features all four seasons, the population (as or 2001) is just under 150,000 and the community is true to its small town roots. The Farmer's Daughter Country Market, a bakery and general store, is a staple of this hidden paradise and it is looking to expand. They have everything they need, except people. After hiring all the qualified locals in need of a job, the business put out a nearly too-good-to-be-true call for help on Facebook. Anyone willing to relocate (and meet the needs and qualifications of the store) will be offered a job and two acres of land to live on. However, since the town is not qualified for the Foreign Worker Program, it can take only people who are legally authorized to work in Canada (just a few extra steps for any foreigner who really really wants the job).
http://www.countryliving.com/life/a3...ian-town-land/
Old 16 September 2016, 06:03 PM

Does the two acres include a house, I wonder, or will the applicant be living in a tent until they've saved enough to build one?

(Also, 150,000 people sounds like a fairly large town to me, and I'd have thought Nova Scotia was rather less populated than the UK. Are definitions different there, or is it a misprint?)

(eta) Looking at Google Maps there are three or four medium-sized towns close to each other at one end of Cape Breton, plus a lot of tiny places and emptiness, so I guess that's the total population of the island, and the jobs must be in some of the emptier bits.

Last edited by Richard W; 16 September 2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 16 September 2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(Also, 150,000 people sounds like a fairly large town to me, and I'd have thought Nova Scotia was rather less populated than the UK. Are definitions different there, or is it a misprint?)
I think that the mean that the whole island has 150,000 people, not the town.
Old 16 September 2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Does the two acres include a house, I wonder, or will the applicant be living in a tent until they've saved enough to build one?
The FB page for the business that is recruiting people makes it clearer that only land is provided.

Quote:
If you decide this opportunity might fit your dreams and goals for a close to nature and community focused life, then we are willing to offer you 2 acres of woodland where you can immediately set up your tiny house or quaint cabin.
There are other details about the plan, too -- that you have to work for five years to get actual ownership of the land.
Old 19 September 2016, 02:45 PM

Canada

It's good to see the old traditions kept up!

Old 19 September 2016, 03:32 PM

Canada

If I was closer to retirement I'd jump at the chance to do this .
Old 19 September 2016, 05:17 PM

Tiny house or quaint cabin? I've got a raised ranch on 0.11 acres! Two acres would be an incredible amount of land for us.

Tempting... Cape Breton was one of the locations that came up when I was idly searching real estate in Canada after the results of the Republican primary.
Old 19 September 2016, 06:31 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Tiny house or quaint cabin? I've got a raised ranch on 0.11 acres! Two acres would be an incredible amount of land for us.

Tempting... Cape Breton was one of the locations that came up when I was idly searching real estate in Canada after the results of the Republican primary.
Buy enough brew and we could do a Snopes barn raising at your new, Canadian, homestead!

Old 20 September 2016, 12:34 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Buy enough brew and we could do a Snopes barn raising at your new, Canadian, homestead!

I've never been to Cape Breton...
Old 20 September 2016, 01:03 AM

Baseball

My Dad's family if from Cape Breton. If I had my way I'd retire out there. Beautiful country, great people, winters can be harsh, but the past 3 centuries have shown that you can survive fine with a moderate income.

In other words, I won't have to be rich to retire there.
Old 20 September 2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Winters can be harsh, but the past 3 centuries have shown that you can survive fine with a moderate income.
Root cellar full of root vegetables. [Which I have not been able to grow in 3 years in SC for some reason]

OY
Old 23 September 2016, 05:56 PM

Canada Farmer's Daughter in Whycocomagh excited to welcome newcomers

Quote:
The first family drawn to Cape Breton by a Facebook ad promising a job and free land has arrived in Whycocomagh.

Kerry and Brett Walkins arrived with their two young children on a rainy Sunday night. Two more families are expected to follow them. All of them are from B.C.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...land-1.3769673

I had forgotten the "company" offering the land was called Farmer's Daughter. I was expecting a different story...
Old 23 September 2016, 06:08 PM

I don't really expect anyone except Canadians to take up the offer...

OY
Old 23 September 2016, 07:36 PM

As the offer clearly states it's only being made to people who already have a legal right to work and settle in Canada, yes, I'd expect applicants to be Canadian.

If the offer instead included such rights being provided to people who don't already have them, I'd expect them to be inundated.
Old 23 September 2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
As the offer clearly states it's only being made to people who already have a legal right to work and settle in Canada, yes, I'd expect applicants to be Canadian.
Right. However, when I was looking for a job in the US (from Canada), I did all the legwork myself to make sure that I could do it legally. So much so, in fact, that if I had to answer "Are you legally allowed to work in the US?", I could legitimately answer "Yes, with a job offer". Which was (and still is) accurate.

OY
Old 25 September 2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The first family drawn to Cape Breton by a Facebook ad promising a job and free land has arrived in Whycocomagh.

Kerry and Brett Walkins arrived with their two young children on a rainy Sunday night.
Is this a news article or a pitch for a reboot of The Shinning?
Old 25 September 2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Is this a news article or a pitch for a reboot of The Shinning?
Well, we are prone to rough winters that limit travel and knock out power, and Whycocomagh is near a First Nations reserve with a cemetary, so there's the 'native burial ground aspect' covered....
Old 25 September 2016, 07:35 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Kerry and Brett Walkins arrived with their two young children on a rainy Sunday night.
Prospective dwellers on the threshold of the pursuit of the almighty Canadian dollar.