snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 26 January 2018, 09:16 PM

France 'They are like animals': French shoppers brawl over cut-price Nutella

France has seen nothing like it: supermarket aisles of brawling customers throwing punches, pulling hair and shoving the elderly out of the way.

A decision by the Intermarché store chain to offer a hefty discount on jars of Nutella – France’s favourite chocolate spread – caused near riots in shops around the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ounted-nutella
Old 26 January 2018, 10:39 PM

France

Wow, I mean Nutella is good, but not punch an old woman good. (I am down with punching old women for a lot of other reasons, however.)
Old 26 January 2018, 10:46 PM

Can't abide the stuff myself. They can have my share.
Old 27 January 2018, 02:26 AM

Icon24

I loved this headline when I saw it earlier. For various reasons that I am currently either unable or unwilling to unpack.
Old 27 January 2018, 11:08 PM

I’m with you Richard. Maybe it’s because it seems like the French never riot unless it involves food. Like cake. Or the lack thereof.
Old 05 February 2018, 08:39 PM

A few months ago I came across a recipe for brownies that used nutella. Never having bought the product but having seen it hyped everywhere for a while (well everywhere near me here in Ottawa anyway) I thought I'd try it out. Nope. Didn't even try it because the price of a small jar of the stuff was ridiculous ! I guess if I was hooked and there was a massive sale I'd brawl too (hopefully wouldn't knock over or punch any little old ladies) but as things stand - no thanks. I don't see it making its way into my pantry anytime soon.
Old 05 February 2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
A few months ago I came across a recipe for brownies that used nutella. Never having bought the product but having seen it hyped everywhere for a while (well everywhere near me here in Ottawa anyway) I thought I'd try it out. Nope. Didn't even try it because the price of a small jar of the stuff was ridiculous ! I guess if I was hooked and there was a massive sale I'd brawl too (hopefully wouldn't knock over or punch any little old ladies) but as things stand - no thanks. I don't see it making its way into my pantry anytime soon.
My mom's IGA in Quebec sells the 1kg jar for C$9.49. Kraft peanut butter is C$3.99 for 500g, so about C$8 for 1kg. Not a big difference, but chocolate/cacao is more expensive than peanuts.

The 26.5oz jar in the US is US$4.98, so about US$6 for 1kg.

I sometimes buy the Aldi brand. Cheaper but not quite as good.

OY
Old 05 February 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
My mom's IGA in Quebec sells the 1kg jar for C$9.49. Kraft peanut butter is C$3.99 for 500g, so about C$8 for 1kg. Not a big difference, but chocolate/cacao is more expensive than peanuts.
I guess if I was going to use it the way I would use peanut butter I might not have been as negative about buying it. As it was the small jar I saw was the amount I would have needed to make the brownies. If one ingredient costs me more than buying a pan of brownies ready-made I'm going to think twice. Maybe even thrice .
Old 05 February 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
The 26.5oz jar in the US is US$4.98, so about US$6 for 1kg.
Which is like 1 cent per 8 calories worth. Nuts and chocolate are both calorie dense, so a little goes a long way. $2.50 to meet the daily caloric requirements of a typical adult is objectively not all that expensive of an ingredient. The brownie recipe must have been very decadent or a large serving.

I usually only have Nutella as a crepe filling, and one jar will make a lot of crepes. With sliced banana and real whipped cream (not from a can).
Old 05 February 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If one ingredient costs me more than buying a pan of brownies ready-made I'm going to think twice. Maybe even thrice .
It was a wise choice. Better not to start the addiction in the first place than try to kick the habit later.