snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 04 January 2018, 08:45 PM

Default Maybe a stupid question, but happens during editing?

When a post is still valid for editing and is being edited, is the unedited post still visible to other viewers?
Old 04 January 2018, 10:55 PM

I believe so. On another forum, if I make and then edit a post quickly enough, it just looks like a normal post. If I take long enough or the thread is just active enough that someone reads my unedited post before/while I'm making the edit, the board then adds a line about "last edited by mbravo at 1:45 1/4/18" or whatever. I think the same might apply here, although I also think the "last edited by" pops up regardless of whether anyone's read it yet. (Time to check it out-)

edit to add edit

I was fast enough that no one has read the post yet so it didn't get the 'last edited' mark. I'm pretty sure it's based on if any other users (or maybe bots too) have read the post. So yes, users can read the unedited post.
Old 04 January 2018, 11:01 PM

I read it between your first and second edits. I know the tag gets added if you put in a reason, and I always thought there was just a time limit after which it gets added, so you can get quick corrections in. But maybe it has to do with whether anyone has posted after you?
Old 04 January 2018, 11:15 PM

There's a time limit after which "last edited by..." gets added in. I think it's about 5 minutes.
Old 05 January 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
There's a time limit after which "last edited by..." gets added in. I think it's about 5 minutes.
But if you type a reason in the box when editing, it gets added as soon as you edit, even within the limit.

Last edited by Richard W; 05 January 2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Like this.
Old 05 January 2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I read it between your first and second edits. I know the tag gets added if you put in a reason, and I always thought there was just a time limit after which it gets added, so you can get quick corrections in. But maybe it has to do with whether anyone has posted after you?
Neat! Thanks for helping correct my misconception.
Old 05 January 2018, 09:52 PM

Now I'm wondering how much of the edit history we can see. You can't see the edit history on other people's posts (or at least, I can't) but on your own posts, there's a link on "Last edited by" which shows a certain amount of the history, and lets you compare versions to see differences.

(eta 1) However, it seems that link only lasts as long as the edit window - 20 minutes I think?

(eta 2) And the "Reason for Editing" box shows only a single line of text at a time, so I'm wondering whether there's more than one version of that, because the history implies it should be a version label.

(eta 3) Indeed, although only the latest "Reason for Editing" shows up in the post, the previous "Reason[s] for Editing" are used as labels when you look at the edit history using your "Last edited by" link.

(final eta) It's labelled just as "Reason" under the post, of course. I wanted to do a final edit to wrap things up. I must admit that I usually leave out the Reason altogether - if I think I can get away with a quick correction before the 5-minute limit when "Last edited by" appears, then I'll do so without mentioning it, and if I'm adding anything substantial I'll mark it with (eta) in the post itself. ("eta" = "edited to add", which I believe is a more general acronym and not just one that I invented - I hope so, anyway. People seem to understand it.).

Last edited by Richard W; 05 January 2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Adding final paragraph
Old 06 January 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
("eta" = "edited to add", which I believe is a more general acronym and not just one that I invented - I hope so, anyway. People seem to understand it.).
I hope it's a general acronym, anyway; I use it too, though generally I capitalize it.

I also have occasionally wondered whether people can read a post while I'm editing it. Good to have it answered.
Old 05 January 2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I believe so. On another forum, if I make and then edit a post quickly enough, it just looks like a normal post. If I take long enough or the thread is just active enough that someone reads my unedited post before/while I'm making the edit, the board then adds a line about "last edited by mbravo at 1:45 1/4/18" or whatever. I think the same might apply here, although I also think the "last edited by" pops up regardless of whether anyone's read it yet. (Time to check it out-)

Okay, so it looks like the original post is still available to those who read it between the time of the initial posting and the edited posting.

And I added this to the edit.

Thanks.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 05 January 2018 at 03:44 PM. Reason: adding addition