snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 23 February 2018, 02:09 PM

United States 'Nation of immigrants' no longer: USCIS updates mission statement

News about the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services from USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ays/366207002/

Quote:
USCIS's previous mission statement:
"USCIS secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system."
Quote:
USCIS's new mission statement:
"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services administers the nation's lawful immigration system, safeguarding its integrity and promise by efficiently and fairly adjudicating requests for immigration benefits while protecting Americans, securing the homeland, and honoring our values."
BTW, I'm really getting tired of this "homeland" business. Sounds a little too much like "Fatherland".
Old 23 February 2018, 02:28 PM

Agreed on "homeland" sounding too close to "fatherland", especially with "Homeland Security".

Also note that the new statement removes the part about granting immigration or citizenship and just promises to look at requests. And note the ordering, the very first two things in the original statement were to help immigrants, the first two things in the new statement are suggestions of threats that need to be avoided. Same thing happens in the ending of the new statement, two of the three directly suggest threats to actual safety, the last suggests a threat to the "American way of life".

Subtle, but potentially very effective. Turns the USCIS from a help-the-immigrant agency to a save-us-from-the-immigrant agency.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:22 PM

Very Orwellian.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:41 PM

I don't know what you are talking about. We have always been about welcoming immigrants protecting real Americans.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:42 PM

Aaaand -- L. Francis Cissna, USCIS's director? The one who apparently decided on, and certainly is defending, this change?

His mother immigrated from Peru.

And his mother-in-law from the Middle East.

Hey, Cissna. We sure as hell are a nation of immigrants. And you are a prime example.
Old 23 February 2018, 05:09 PM

That's hardly new. It seems that nearly every generation of immigrants or their descendants have some that wants to shut the door behind them. That was even the title of Senator DuRant Smith's speech in Congress in 1924.
Old 23 February 2018, 05:14 PM

Huh. The overly aptly named DuRant even managed to get in there a demand that opponents not politicize the issue.

Quote:
I do not believe that political reasons should enter into the discussion of this very vital question.
As if what he was doing weren't political.

ETA: And, GenYus, of course you're right. This happens over and over again: People already in the USA say 'Group X can't possibly assimilate! We need to save the country for Real Americans™ *!' Maybe twenty years later, many of the people in Group X, plus previous immigrant generations, say 'Of course Group X is fine but Group Y can't possibly assimilate! We need to save the country for Real Americans™ *!' A generation after that, many of the people in Group Y, plus previous immigrant generations, say 'Of course Group Y is fine but Group Z can't possibly assimilate! We need to save the country for Real Americans™ *!' Repeat ad infinitum, or until either we evolve into a more sensible species or the country disintegrates.

*"Real Americans™" should not be taken to mean the people who were actually here first.

Last edited by thorny locust; 23 February 2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 23 February 2018, 10:48 PM

This happens in Australia too. And I bet it happens in every multi-cultural nation.

In grades 3 and 4 my teacher* would organise "international days" on which we would learn about a particular country and a parent of a student in the class, who had ancestry of the country in question, would come and cook a dish from that country.

Once upon a time, people would complain about Italian immigration, now spaghetti bolognaise is one of Australia's most popular meals.

Thank God for immigration, because as much as I like a good steak, I don't want it every night. And I don't like lamb.

*The teacher moved up a grade with us.
Old 24 February 2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
This happens in Australia too. And I bet it happens in every multi-cultural nation.
I expect you're right. It's something wrong with the species, not something specifically wrong with Americans.
Old 26 February 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Agreed on "homeland" sounding too close to "fatherland", especially with "Homeland Security".

Preach it!
Old 27 February 2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

In grades 3 and 4 my teacher* would organise "international days" on which we would learn about a particular country and a parent of a student in the class, who had ancestry of the country in question, would come and cook a dish from that country.

Once upon a time, people would complain about Italian immigration, now spaghetti bolognaise is one of Australia's most popular meals.

Thank God for immigration, because as much as I like a good steak, I don't want it every night. And I don't like lamb.

*The teacher moved up a grade with us.
My elementary school did a week (maybe more, it's been a while) for studying Japanese culture, which included some green pudding and some other things which I've forgotten. Now you can't go too far without running into a sushi place, even in land-locked Switzerland. I am very glad, because pork, potatoes and cheese gets really boring. Not to mention Swiss wines.