snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 19 March 2008, 07:40 AM

Hello Kitty Cats break backs chasing laser pointers

Comment: A friend of mine has recently heard a rumor...

"After a fun night at the pub, it was brought to my attention that one
common ailment for cats is a broken back due to playing to vigorously with
a lazer pointer. This was very disturbing, since we play with the cats
with lazer pointers often! Can anyone find evidence of this?"
Old 19 March 2008, 07:54 AM

I that is true it would mean any vigourous play including chasing mice-on-strings, ribbons etc would cause broken backs. A cat isn't going to break its back unless it falls badly or something falls on it. They have flexible spines and just leaping around won't break the back (might get some muscle strains though). it is just about possible a cat gets too excited and takes a fall, but I've never found this to be common.
Old 19 March 2008, 07:55 AM

Maybe this could happen if you make the cat chase the laser pointer over a cliff or into oncoming traffic or something. Otherwise, I doubt it. How could a laser pointer cause more harm than chasing a moth or a mouse? I would think those fishing-pole style toys would have a greater chance of being harmful; one of our cats will make some pretty impressive leaps in the air after those, and sometimes he crash-lands on nearby furniture.

ETA: semi-spanked by llewtrah
Old 19 March 2008, 07:58 AM

Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
Maybe this could happen if you make the cat chase the laser pointer over a cliff or into oncoming traffic or something. Otherwise, I doubt it. How could a laser pointer cause more harm than chasing a moth or a mouse? I would think those fishing-pole style toys would have a greater chance of being harmful; one of our cats will make some pretty impressive leaps in the air after those, and sometimes he crash-lands on nearby furniture.

ETA: semi-spanked by llewtrah
Of course, none of us would use those fishing poles to arrange for one cat to land on another. Never would do such a thing. Don't even know why it would occur to me...
Old 19 March 2008, 08:03 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhull View Post
Of course, none of us would use those fishing poles to arrange for one cat to land on another. Never would do such a thing. Don't even know why it would occur to me...
I am shocked--shocked!--that you would even mention something like that.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:10 AM

I've had to stop using the laser pointer with my two; it makes Pixie go a bit mental and Merlin become downright paranoid. I've put it away for their sanity, after much experimentation to make sure that I was right about such things.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:52 AM

Thenie has sussed out that the light comes from my hand. When I try to use a pointer as a game, she attacks my hand. Even my cat is a geek!
Old 19 March 2008, 09:52 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
I've had to stop using the laser pointer with my two; it makes Pixie go a bit mental and Merlin become downright paranoid. I've put it away for their sanity, after much experimentation to make sure that I was right about such things.
I would be too if there was a high powered laser pointer burning a trail towards me.

Or maybe you've got S.W.A.T. Cats? Police cats know what it means to be marked with a red dot.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:53 AM

It's not exactly high powered; it's watch-battery powered
Old 19 March 2008, 10:55 AM
Lady Neeva

I spend a LOT of time laser-pointing my cats (hey, if googling can be a word now...) and assorted other pets. Yes, my fish will actually chase it around the tank, the goldfish anyway. Moo doesn't seem to care.

Never had one break anything, much less it's spine.

Mine are actually kind of funny with it... they all have different preferences. Lightning runs in terror (he's the biggest wuss in feline history) so I don't use it with him. He prefers his feather on a string heh.

Isis, Zeebee and Keiran know *exactly* what that keychain sounds like when I pick it up, and they will come charging in from anywhere in the apartment and take up their battle stations. Yes, they have worked out battle stations.

Isis is up on the corner of the bed, Keiran takes a spot near the door, and Zeebee kind of roams the middle. These are the same stations they take for their feather on a string, and it's even more hilarious with that (because they stay in position, the laser pointer they chase it everywhere but return to their stations as soon as they lose it heh).

Keiran will bat it when it's on his little white paws. Isis will only go after it when it's on a wall. Zeebee... Zeeb loses her mind and just chases it EVERYWHERE as fast as her legs can go. She spins in circles, she leaps (she can get up to shoulder height on me, and I'm nearly 6' tall!), she runs full out so hard that if she stops sudden she'll flip up over her front paws.

She even bites at it! hehe
Old 19 March 2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Thenie has sussed out that the light comes from my hand. When I try to use a pointer as a game, she attacks my hand. Even my cat is a geek!
Smart kitty!
Old 19 March 2008, 12:30 PM

You can really NFBSK with their heads by clicking it off when they jump on it. They will spend AGES looking for it under their paws.

I'm so evil.
Old 19 March 2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Smart kitty!
Affy was the same with fishing rod games. I one day saw her visually trace the almost invisible thread to the pole and then she attacked my hands. Scrapper, however, used to retrieve the fishing toy from a high shelf and bring it to me when he wanted a game. Now that is a clever kitty!
Old 19 March 2008, 01:22 PM

My husband has always told me that it's dangerous to play with kitties and laser pointers, says it can hurt their eyes if you accidentally shine it in their faces. Seems logical as it's hard to keep the laser out of the kitties eyes considering how much they move around, so my kitties have never played with one. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 19 March 2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
My husband has always told me that it's dangerous to play with kitties and laser pointers, says it can hurt their eyes if you accidentally shine it in their faces. Seems logical as it's hard to keep the laser out of the kitties eyes considering how much they move around, so my kitties have never played with one. Has anyone else heard this?
The cheap keychain pointers don't even have a warning label anymore, so I'd say they are pretty safe.

This also means that they will be of little use against an Imperial Star Destroyer.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:18 PM
Lady Neeva

Actually it's pretty easy to avoid hitting their eyes... keep the dot on the floor, and the cats will look *down* at it -- meaning even if their furry little heads get in the line, it'll hit them between the ears.

The couple seconds it takes them to think to look UP for it is more than enough time to move it so that it won't hit their eyes. Even super zippy Zeebee... and that cat acts like a complete spazz when she's chasing it heh.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
You know they are not actually lasers? They are just red flashlights with a narrow beam.
Old 19 March 2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Maybe she is. Do you talk to yourself, or to Thenie? If so, stop!!! She's learning all your geek secrets and will tell them to the rest of her kind. Then people will be in big trouble!
Old 19 March 2008, 05:19 PM

Cats will not break their backs chasing laser pointers. They will break lamps and teacups, but certainly nothing that actually belongs to them.

Ever watch a cat watch a laser dot on the ceiling?
Old 19 March 2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Cats will not break their backs chasing laser pointers. They will break lamps and teacups, but certainly nothing that actually belongs to them.

Ever watch a cat watch a laser dot on the ceiling?
Ever see a cat make like a gecko and try to walk up a wall in pursuit of said dot?