snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 February 2018, 02:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24k Kate View Post
Our garage door cable came unspooled yesterday.
Is there a story behind this? It sounds like there should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I now have more money then I ever had in my life.
Congratulations! I hope you find it easier than you expect to make it last.

Seaboe
Old 23 February 2018, 02:30 PM

My right mouse button is a bit sticky. It still clicks, but it requires extra force and makes different noise, more of a thunk than a click.
Old 23 February 2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Rules vary from congregation to congregation; but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some groups allow phones that can't access the net, but don't allow phones that can. I've been told that at least in one of the congregations around here using a computer offline as a word processor is fine, but going online isn't.

-- and what I've got is also an old flip phone. It cost me $20 some years ago, and I can keep it alive for roughly $7 a month. A smart phone would be much more expensive. Other people must make the same sort of decision, because the phones are still commonly for sale, and so is the three-months-for-~$21 phone card.
To clarify, it wasn't the fact that it was a flip phone that made it odd or seem old. This was so long ago that smartphones hadn't yet become commonplace. Probably before the iPhone was even released, and the only smartphones were Blackberrys and such. I would have had a flip phone at the time as well. It was just the fact that it was a really big one. Likely one that predated the the switch from analog to digital networks. Maybe not quite as big as the phone that Gordon Gekko used in Wall Street, but you get the idea.
Old 23 February 2018, 06:16 PM

The Weather Channel keeps featuring little vignettes from various places in Florida. They never say that these are actually paid commercials/informercials - which they most definitely are. They present them as if they are bringing us some sunshine on a winter day just for fun. I hate this.
Old 23 February 2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
My right mouse button is a bit sticky. It still clicks, but it requires extra force and makes different noise, more of a thunk than a click.
Soomething very small is probably stuck in it. That happened to me a few weeks ago and I found a staple wedged under there.

Just dismantle it and bang it about a bit. Things might fall out!
Old 23 February 2018, 07:59 PM

It is more something fluidy got dried inside it sticky, not something solid inside it sticky.

I just got a new one, the old one was getting a bit worn anyway.
Old 23 February 2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

ETA: Dasla, congratulations! Hope the state of solvency stays around a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Congratulations! I hope you find it easier than you expect to make it last.

Seaboe
Thank you.
Well it's enough to pay off the mortgage, which is going to make a HUGH difference to my day to day expenses. And there will be a bit left over. I will give it a few days to settle and then seriously think about what to do.

In the short term I can go to the supermarket and get everything on my list rather then adding it up as I go. So like I can spend $30 rather then adding up as I go so I don't go over $10.
Old 23 February 2018, 11:09 PM

I just had an order delivered from my favourite Chinese restaurant. The hot and sour soup didn't taste the same, the chicken wings were downright greasy and the beef and broccoli was way more broccoli than beef. This was a treat I'd been promising myself for months and now I wish I'd just made a sandwich. Oh well on the plus side I won't be ordering from them again so that will save me money and calories!
Old 24 February 2018, 12:18 AM

Sue- that has happened to me very many times- you are looking forward to a usually reliably delicious treat only for it to disappoint. Seems like it happens more often with takeout too, and goes unnoticed until you're comfy and back home and don't want to drive back to get the meal fixed.
Old 24 February 2018, 01:32 AM

Yeah Sue, it has happened to me too. And I have usually walked a distance to get it on top of it all.
Old 24 February 2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I just had an order delivered from my favourite Chinese restaurant. The hot and sour soup didn't taste the same, the chicken wings were downright greasy and the beef and broccoli was way more broccoli than beef. This was a treat I'd been promising myself for months and now I wish I'd just made a sandwich. Oh well on the plus side I won't be ordering from them again so that will save me money and calories!
Perhaps itís not the regular chef. Isnít it close to Chinese New Year? that might be a factor somehow!
Old 24 February 2018, 01:34 PM

I think you could be right that for whatever reason the chef has changed. I've noticed this before, especially for some reason, with Chinese restaurants. Not that the change is always a bad thing but there are certainly changes to the way a particular dish tastes. Anyway I won't be ordering again anytime soon! I hate to write them off completely though so perhaps I'll pop in there for lunch sometime and spend less (this is another thing that is bothering me - how much I spent for a terrible meal) and see if there is an improvement.
Old 24 February 2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Anyway I won't be ordering again anytime soon! I hate to write them off completely though so perhaps I'll pop in there for lunch sometime and spend less (this is another thing that is bothering me - how much I spent for a terrible meal) and see if there is an improvement.
You could even call them up, ask whether the chef has changed, and say politely that while you've always gotten very good food from them before you were disappointed with the last batch. Or say all that when you go in for lunch.

If you just disappear without saying anything, how are they to know?
Old 24 February 2018, 05:36 PM

I second telling them. It might even be something as simple as a tainted batch of oil spoiling most of the dishes. If they donít know there is a problem they wonít be able to fix it.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
Well it's enough to pay off the mortgage, which is going to make a HUGH difference to my day to day expenses. And there will be a bit left over. I will give it a few days to settle and then seriously think about what to do.
So I paid off most of my mortgage. It was bit confronting transferring that much money. I didn't pay it all off as I have a redraw facility on my account so I can withdraw the money if I am ahead. But still have a sizeable amount. And I will have to see/ring someone on Monday because the automatic mortgage still come out and I couldn't see how to stop that online.

I realise this is now in the wrong thread but I was referring to this post of mine.

Quote:
I am due a big payment. We were informed on Tuesday and I have been checking everyday. I am guessing it won't be until Monday now. And Mum and Dad will be out of town. I was hoping to do to the bank with Dad to organise something.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So I paid off most of my mortgage. It was bit confronting transferring that much money. I didn't pay it all off as I have a redraw facility on my account so I can withdraw the money if I am ahead. But still have a sizeable amount. And I will have to see/ring someone on Monday because the automatic mortgage still come out and I couldn't see how to stop that online.
Congrats on paying down so much of your mortgage.

I found out recently that I could only stop automatic payments that I had set up with e-banking. Any automatic payments which were started at the bank I could not stop online. Seems to be a rule at my bank - might be the same as yours.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:06 PM

We decided not to do our groceries last night and this morning I have no bread for toast . I could have cereal or make some eggs (if I want to keep to a breakfast food theme). But I want toast and the only way i'm getting it is to go out in bad weather or make some. So not happening.
Old 25 February 2018, 02:25 PM

Do you have flour, oil, sugar, salt, and yeast?
Old 25 February 2018, 02:30 PM

I do. I even have a bread maker. Which I may need to learn to use if the weather doesn't improve (it is still
"mint in box" -they come with directions, right?). Why didn't I go do some damn groceries last night? I'll tell you why, because I was in my comfy clothes in front of the TV and couldn't summon up the gumption to go out "let's go tomorrow" I said. Great plan, Sue! Now it's freezing rain out there. I may be reduced to eating the cereal that's been sitting in the cupboard for 3 years. This may not end well.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:10 PM

I've got a similar problem to Sue's. I have the ingredients to make a fish pie for tea, but I just checked and I've not got enough potatoes for the mashed potato topping. I could go grocery shopping but it's cold outside and it's already 6pm and I don't want to go all the way into town and back and then still have to cook! And I had a takeaway last night to avoid cooking, so I don't want to get another. And I don't have any bread, either.

I could make a Spanish omelette - I've enough potato for that, but I'm quite hungry and I'm not sure that will be enough, especially without bread. I was thinking of making that for breakfast tomorrow, anyway. Or I could go into town, buy some bread and potatoes and then eat in the pub before coming home. Which is probably what I'll end up doing, thus spending money I shouldn't be spending.

(eta) I've got sausages in the freezer too. I think I'll just stay at home and eat those. I've enough for one serving of potatoes. Oh well.

Last edited by Richard W; 25 February 2018 at 05:33 PM.