snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 07 February 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Yeah, gotta be puffs.
These weren't "jumbo", they were the ordinary size that I'd expected, but yes - other than that they do sound very similar to Darth Credence's description. I can't remember the Spanish word for them because it didn't mean much to me (although I managed to convince myself that it meant "unflavoured"...).

Which is a shame, otherwise I could have a "Do you know what they call Cheetos Jumbo Puffs in Spain? They call them Cheetos Royale ..." conversation with people...
Old 08 February 2018, 02:06 PM

Glasses

They have regular sized puffs, too, Richard. Eating them is very much like eating those corn-based packing peanuts.

Seaboe
Old 08 February 2018, 09:26 PM

That's definitely what these were, then. I've tried eating the packing peanuts too, and they had more texture... but marginally less flavour.

(eta) I mean, the packing material did - the last bit wasn't meant to be a punch-line. It would have worked as a punch-line if the Cheetos had had less flavour, but despite being pretty similar, and having less texture, I'd still rather have eaten the Cheetos than a bag of packing thingies that size. On the whole I'd rather not eat either in future, though.
Old 08 February 2018, 11:28 PM

That feeling you describe, Richard, of the puffs almost making you more hungry, has been studied, and snack makers strive for it. In the radio piece I heard, it was described by an expert as "vanishing caloric density." Because the snack melts away while you are chewing it, your brain/body responds differently, and you don't feel satiated. Instead, you can just keep crunching, as if the food disappears after you crunch it a few times.

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/va...ic-density.htm

Last edited by erwins; 08 February 2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09 February 2018, 12:52 PM

These days, when I want Cheetos, I go for these.

ETA: They look more like packing peanuts than the traditional ones, but taste better, IMO.
Old 09 February 2018, 01:25 PM

Those are my favorites too. I like the puffy kind better than the crunchy, but I like having flavor. The texture is different from the regular puffs too, I think. The regular puffs are . . . coarser maybe?
Old 09 February 2018, 01:33 PM

Chef

I'm a puffy-not-crunchy fan myself, and sometimes go for the bargain-priced Chester's Puffcorn. I also liked the original butter flavor, but that's hard to find around here these days.
Old 09 February 2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Those are my favorites too. I like the puffy kind better than the crunchy, but I like having flavor. The texture is different from the regular puffs too, I think. The regular puffs are . . . coarser maybe?
Yes, I think that's it. It's a finer-grained texture. Softer.
Old 10 February 2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
These days, when I want Cheetos, I go for these.

ETA: They look more like packing peanuts than the traditional ones, but taste better, IMO.
One of the first things I buy when I arrive in the States. There is no equivalent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
These weren't "jumbo", they were the ordinary size that I'd expected, but yes - other than that they do sound very similar to Darth Credence's description. I can't remember the Spanish word for them because it didn't mean much to me (although I managed to convince myself that it meant "unflavoured"...).

Which is a shame, otherwise I could have a "Do you know what they call Cheetos Jumbo Puffs in Spain? They call them Cheetos Royale ..." conversation with people...
Cheetos Gustosines? No cheese included. I tried some when I was in Madrid 2 years ago. Very disappointed.
Old 10 February 2018, 03:54 PM

Circus Peanuts look more like packing peanuts to me, but they taste like no food on God's green earth.

"This is LOSER candy"--Candy Chiu
Old 10 February 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Cheetos Gustosines? No cheese included. I tried some when I was in Madrid 2 years ago. Very disappointed.
Yes, exactly those! So they were indeed "without flavour" as well as being the puffy texture. Thank you.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:38 PM

Cheeseless Cheetos? Sounds like an abomination to me.

ETA: On second thought, I think it must be like the "hull-less popcorn" we have here. I'm not a fan, but it's not quite an abomination.