snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 22 May 2018, 09:16 PM

Default Memes that annoy you

Two I just saw:

1. "This is Army Sgt. *Name* . Recently he learned that his 16-year-old daughter had been raped by two Syrian refugee brothers. He took the law into his own hands and beat them to death. Now he faces life in prison. Let's make this post GO VIRAL and show our support for this American Hero!"

2. "Apparently the Santa Fe shooter can't get the death penalty because teenagers can't tell right from wrong, but we're supposed to listen to them about changing our Constitution."
Old 22 May 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Two I just saw:

1. "This is Army Sgt. *Name* . Recently he learned that his 16-year-old daughter had been raped by two Syrian refugee brothers. He took the law into his own hands and beat them to death. Now he faces life in prison. Let's make this post GO VIRAL and show our support for this American Hero!"
But he killed foreign people, so that's ok. (/sarcasm ends here).
Seriously though, what's "heroic" about killing two people without trial, and it's a trial that he could not have been part of (except as a witness).
Is this even true. Was there ever a case like this.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:22 PM

Given the number of stories about refugees committing crimes that turn out to be false? Probably not.
Old 22 May 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
2. "Apparently the Santa Fe shooter can't get the death penalty because teenagers can't tell right from wrong, but we're supposed to listen to them about changing our Constitution."
Yeah, it's impossible that tens of thousands of teenagers saying they're tired of being killed by guns know what they're talking about. On the other hand, those hundreds of pro-gun teenagers are like super-duper smart!
Old 22 May 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Is this even true. Was there ever a case like this.
A certain fact checking website says it's false.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/se...gregory-hayes/
Old 27 May 2018, 05:39 PM

"If money is the root of all evil, why do they ask for it at church?"

It's the LOVE of money...
Old 27 May 2018, 05:55 PM

While that's true, I've seen more than a few churches that really seemed to love their money.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:43 PM

This is a older meme, but "you never see any cat skeletons in trees."

No, but if you hang out at a veterinarian's office you'll see a lot of cats who've gotten injured by jumping or falling out of trees.
Old 29 May 2018, 10:13 PM

No

Especially if they've been up there for a while and they get weak from hunger/dehydration.
(I learned this from Animal Cops Miami.)
Old 30 May 2018, 02:47 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Yeah, it's impossible that tens of thousands of teenagers saying they're tired of being killed by guns know what they're talking about. On the other hand, those hundreds of pro-gun teenagers are like super-duper smart!
Iíve done plenty of long-winded rants about how our culture hates and despises teenagers. Iíll probably type up a rant later on, though, but all the responses regarding the Parkland movement, are a pretty good example of one aspect of that hatred: teenagers are hated on for being shallow, too obsessed with pop culture and celebrities, yet when they do express an interest in a major political issue, they are hated for daring to care about something that will affect people all over the world.

Teenagers are seen as disrespectful and rude, but honestly, I canít blame them. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe theyíre so rude and disrespectful because thatís how the adults (who are supposed to set examples) are towards them? It makes some sense. I almost want to egg them on. Never bow and scrape to earn the favor of shitstains. Itís not worth the time and energy and it never works.

Though I still wonder why the wider culture hates teenagers so much. Thereís some love for kids who are still small and portable, but teenagers are mostly left to their own devices. Sometimes I think it might be due to a sense of rivalry; the older generation realizes that the kids are reaching the point where they will have some power and be able to compete with them.

Okay, my hated memes. As Iíve said in another thread, I wish we could retire the phrase ďWorking Class,Ē because it is pretty much a euphemism for White Dudes. Apparently women and PoC donít work. They make a living on welfare and accusing innocent White Dudes of sexual assault, because there is a ton of money to be found in those fields.

It kind of ties in with another meme that makes me grind my teeth: The Real American Cityô. This meme shapes so much discourse as everyone, Very Serious People and the like, debate how to best cater to those simple folk.

From what I can tell, in these discussions, the Real American City is depicted as being small, rural, a land of diners, churches, and people working various blue-collarish jobs, trying to make a living. Women do occasionally make an appearance in these stories, but the population of Real American City is overwhelmingly White and Male, who drive pickups and drink cheap beer. Thereís almost a complete lack of PoC, unless the setting is at a Black church in one of these quaint little towns.

Even though in major metropolitan areas of the country like, say, New York City, you can step outside and see a veritable see of humanity in all shapes, sizes, and colors, they can never be considered Real American Cities. Nay, the truest wisdom can only be found in among the quaint, simple folk of flyover country.

For those needing an example of how this meme is discussed and used, David Brooksís infamous column for The Atlantic is the Uber-example. A sample paragraph:

Quote:
Different sorts of institutions dominate life in these two places. In Red America churches are everywhere. In Blue America Thai restaurants are everywhere. In Red America they have QVC, the Pro Bowlers Tour, and hunting. In Blue America we have NPR, Doris Kearns Goodwin, and socially conscious investing. In Red America the Wal-Marts are massive, with parking lots the size of state parks. In Blue America the stores are small but the markups are big. You'll rarely see a Christmas store in Blue America, but in Red America, even in July, you'll come upon stores selling fake Christmas trees, wreath-decorated napkins, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer collectible thimbles and spoons, and little snow-covered villages.
This is a meme Iím particularly ranty about because, unlike the Very Serious People, I actually live in a small town, rural community. I am currently living in the reddest part of a red state, so chances are pretty good that these Real American City memes are referring to communities like the town Iím currently living in or one of the many Iíve lived in the past.

Most of the people who utilize this meme, are basically like David Brooks: affluent White men who live in massive metropolitan areas and make a comfortable living talking about issues related to small towns, even if the longest time theyíve been in one, is about a week.

As a someone who has actually lived in small towns, I know the general attitudes of their people and I know the actual issues facing their communities. There are legitimate problems that warrant addressing, which is why all the patronizing BS makes me so mad. Said discussions also reek of elitist attitudes; you can practically hear David Brooks going, ďAw, look at all those small town people trying to make a living. Arenít they just adorable?Ē because at the same time they lionize the citizens small towns, they also regard them the way someone might regard a small child and heap lavish praise whenever we accomplish anything.

Anyway, sorry for the never ending rants. Iím done for now.

*I know some of you are probably thinking Iím dumping on David Brooks too much, but if anything, he doesnít get dumped on enough.
Old 30 May 2018, 02:40 PM

"I Stand With Roseanne. Share if you do, too."

"If Archie Bunker were around, he'd make Roseanne look like a saint."
Old 30 May 2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
"If Archie Bunker were around, he'd make Roseanne look like a saint."
That's supposed to be a good thing?
Old 30 May 2018, 03:52 PM

I assume it is a comment on how everything's too politically correct nowadays and things used to be perfect back then.
Old 30 May 2018, 05:13 PM

Sigh. They do not get that Archie Bunker was a character who was written to look bad. If they are identifying with Archie Bunker they missed what Norman Lear and Carrol O'Connor et al were trying to do. To quote another famous racist "sad".
Old 30 May 2018, 05:59 PM

Carroll O'Connor the actor was about as far away from Archie Bunker the character as you could get in terms of his sociopolitical views. He was dismayed by how many viewers missed the point and felt as though Archie was speaking unvarnished truth that they could get behind.
Old 30 May 2018, 06:09 PM

These are the same people who've been ranting all over social media and message boards about how the only reason Roseanne got fired is because she's conservative. What they can't, or won't, realize is that by insisting that this is what happened they are saying that to be conservative is to be a racist, conspiracy theory spouting asshat who has no boundaries. Is this person really someone they want to defend?

Last edited by Sue; 30 May 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 30 May 2018, 07:37 PM

But those were jokes!
Old 31 May 2018, 03:05 AM

Mouse

Ugh...the Joke Dodge. Iím always trying to think of a name to label this fallacy. Suffice to say, I am so sick of the ďIt was just a joke. God, why do you have to be so serious about everything!Ē bit that Iím almost wishing we could outlaw jokes entirely, no matter how little sense it makes.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:25 AM

It is sort of annoying if the joke consists of the use of irony or satire to say the opposite of what you mean, or to propose something exaggerated. I'm sure in many cases it isn't, and that the person also means the statement behind the "joke", but I'm equally sure that in at least some cases, the person making the joke actually agrees with the person objecting, and is saying that it was a joke because it was a joke...
Old 31 May 2018, 01:50 PM

Richard W, try asking the "joker" 'But why do you think that's funny?'

Do you seriously think that in this case Roseanne's explanation* would be 'because it pokes fun at racists'; or that people reading the tweet could reasonably be expected to think that was the explanation?

*from what I've read on this, no, that doesn't seem to be her explanation.

ETA: and, if some specific joke actually is meant to poke fun at racists/sexists/body shamers etc.: if significant portions of the audience can't tell that, then it's not a good joke.