snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 09 May 2018, 11:18 PM

I fear he might actually be reelected. I didn't think so until recently, and I can't fathom why his approval rating is going UP, but here we are.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:33 AM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
In this case a competent villain who understood things like pragmatism when not to start a fight would be a significant improvement.
Thatís about why I long prefer competent villainy. A competent villain can and will cause great damage to the rights and lives of others, but they donít leap in, swinging their fists at anything and anyone, and they donít throw hissies over everything and everyone. Competent villains arenít afraid to start fights if needed, but if thereís a way to solve a problem that doesnít involve violence, they will opt to do that. Violence is messy and carries the possibility of a spectacular blowback that could leave you rotting in jail.

Like I said, Trump is basically a seventy-something Joffrey Baratheon. Though Iím more likely to cut Joffrey a very small amount of slack, since Joffrey was thirteen, so there was still the futile hope that he would mature and change his ways. Plus, again, heís thirteen and thereís a difference between picking on a grown-ass adult and a godawful bratty kid. Also, Joffrey was at least surrounded by people smarter than him and thus could mitigate the damage he does.

Though as I keep saying, the modern Right has all the prejudices of their predecessors, but none of the work ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
There is one : Milton Krest in Ian Fleming's The Hildebrandt Rarity, a short story found in For Your Eyes Only. Except that, of course, Melania won't stuff a fish down his throat anytime soon.
:reads summary at Wikipedia: You might actually be onto something there. Congratulations, you may have found Trumpís fictional counterpart. You can hold your head with pride, as you drink continuously until either nuclear war breaks out or Trumpís out of the White House, preferably after being run out on a rail.

Quote:
-- I'm kind of reminded of the BMOC in high school who gets to college only to discover that college is full of people who were also BMOC in high school, and are not particularly impressed. Except that ~18 is a better age to run up against that wall than 70; and college freshman is a much better position to be learning the lesson in than POTUS.
At 18, thereís still a chance that BMOC can change their ways after being hit by brutal reality. With Trump, Iím fairly certain not even visits from three ghosts will do the trick.

A popular comparison, regarding Trump, is to compare him to a toddler, which I have some objections to. Toddlers do throw screaming tantrums, but they also possess a basic level of empathy and overflow with natural curiosity. Does any of that sound like Trump? Plus again, thereís still a chance that a toddler will grow the heck up and contribute positively to society. As for Trump...uh, what emoji or onomatopoeia accurately portrays bitter laughter.
Old 10 May 2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I fear he might actually be reelected. I didn't think so until recently, and I can't fathom why his approval rating is going UP, but here we are.
I am very, very concerned about the next pres. election. I am concerned about people being blocked from the polls or in other ways being manipulated to keep them away from the booths.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I am very, very concerned about the next pres. election. I am concerned about people being blocked from the polls or in other ways being manipulated to keep them away from the booths.
Who gets elected on the state and in some cases local levels also matters. That's where a lot of such controls happen.

Everybody, please research all candidates, and please show up at the midterms!
Old 11 May 2018, 12:26 AM

John Bolton wrote an opinion piece at the Washington Post that "explains" why the deal was so terrible. None of it made sense to me and seemed like a whole lotta distortion, half-truths and lies.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:29 AM

John Bolton is one of the few people in the country who seems to have less relationship with reality than Dump does. He's wanted a war with Iran for decades, and now it looks disturbingly like he's going to get one.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:30 PM

Well, Afghanistan has not worked out well, and Iraq has been a disaster, so a larger, better armed, more coherent state should be VERY easy. Good thing is, my kid will be draftable in 8 years, right when they are ready to call up Surge 5 (This Time It's Gonna Work For SURE!)
Old 11 May 2018, 01:45 PM

There isn't going to be a draft again. A draft leads to protesting. An all "volunteer" army of people who don't have a lot of other prospects keeps a lid on that.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:04 PM

Another problem with re-instituting a draft is that last time we had one, there wasn't even a conversation about 'why are women exempt'? It was taken for granted; of course women were exempt.

Now, if they try to draft only men, even if it's only men into combat positions, there'll be a huge commotion. And if they go ahead and draft women -- especially into combat postions -- there'll be another huge commotion. Maybe in another fifty years it'll be taken for granted that, if there's a draft, it has to be everybody; but we're not there yet.

So I doubt the USA is going to reinstitute a draft any time soon -- at least, unless we get the sort of full scale emergency that might actually justify one, such as the country being invaded by someone who might actually pull it off. Which I think is also unlikely to happen any time soon.
Old 11 May 2018, 03:02 PM

That's a good point.

Meanwhile, we've Trumpanzies calling John McCain "Songbird John" and talking about how he totally proves torture works. Yeah, except he totally doesn't because when he was tortured for information in Vietnam, all he gave up was the names of the Green Bay Packers.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's a good point.

Meanwhile, we've Trumpanzies calling John McCain "Songbird John" and talking about how he totally proves torture works. Yeah, except he totally doesn't because when he was tortured for information in Vietnam, all he gave up was the names of the Green Bay Packers.
I thought you meant one of the anonymous Trumpette followers but come to find that this comment was actually made on Fox (quelle surprise) and by a retired Air Force Lt General. What a total and complete ass. I'd love to think the others on the show at the time jumped all over him but I'm guessing that didn't happen.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except he totally doesn't because when he was tortured for information in Vietnam, all he gave up was the names of the Green Bay Packers.

That is going to be harder and harder to do these days, it might appear, with internet access.

How long would it take for a web search to reveal a handful of names and their common link is a football team?
Old 11 May 2018, 04:54 PM

Well, the people the CIA was torturing in black sites while we were invading Afghanistan and Iraq were giving up all sorts of ridiculous, obviously false stories and we were told about how it was so effective.
Old 11 May 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I thought you meant one of the anonymous Trumpette followers but come to find that this comment was actually made on Fox (quelle surprise) and by a retired Air Force Lt General. What a total and complete ass. I'd love to think the others on the show at the time jumped all over him but I'm guessing that didn't happen.
I just read an article about this where it is noted that the host of the show apologized - after the fact:
Mr Payne tweeted that the comments were "very false and derogatory" and "should have been challenged". Too little, too late. The time to challenge was when the comments were made, not in a tweet later that many if not most of your viewers will never see.
Old 12 May 2018, 02:11 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
There isn't going to be a draft again. A draft leads to protesting. An all "volunteer" army of people who don't have a lot of other prospects keeps a lid on that.
Both parties are pretty much desperate to do anything to avoid instituting a draft. Any party that does, will effectively sign their party's death warrant. Everyone is pretty much doing whatever they can to avoid instituting a draft. Though given how we're pretty much fighting several undeclared wars all over the Middle East, I'm not sure how long they can stave it off.
Old 12 May 2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Meanwhile, we've Trumpanzies calling John McCain "Songbird John" and talking about how he totally proves torture works.
It's just unbelievable to me that the right so quickly and easily threw away their most cherished principles. I guess somehow I believed that while we didn't see eye to eye on many things, well, at least they stood for something. Then, in a flash, our allies became enemies, adversaries became allies, and actual war heroes - war heroes who spent most of the rest of their lives working for conservative causes - are openly ridiculed. At any moment I expect my jaw to become unhinged and hit the floor. I've talked about the extremes of cognitive dissonance on the board a lot and perhaps I have some rather extreme views on that subject but even I never imagined how extreme that would get.

Will they wake up one day and look at who they're sleeping with and get a similarly extreme shock? I don't know. It seems unlikely at this point there will ever be any attempt at a reconciliation of actual conservative values with what we see... Maybe the whole conservative movement will continue this horrific slide into conspiracy theories and alternative facts. I never thought I'd look back on the McCain, Romney, even GHWBush and think "you know, they weren't that bad..."

Sue remarked in the other thread that "2014 wasn't that long ago" but it feels like an eternity.
Old 12 May 2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I want to say, ďthatís not possible,Ē but Iím one of those people who thought that the first time around.
Old 12 May 2018, 12:43 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Both parties are pretty much desperate to do anything to avoid instituting a draft.
Really? I'm not doubting you, I'm just surprised. My impression has been the Republicans have been nosing around for an excuse.
Old 12 May 2018, 04:22 PM

There was a huge backlash about the potential of instituting a draft back when the US invaded Iraq. As far as I know, nobody's tried bringing it up since.
Old 12 May 2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Really? I'm not doubting you, I'm just surprised. My impression has been the Republicans have been nosing around for an excuse.
No way. With a draft, their kids might have to go (or, more accurately, they'd have to get their kids out of it, and their constituents' kids would have to go).

ETA: A draft is a more democratic (small d) way of fighting a war. The Republicans don't want any part of that.