snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 01 April 2018, 01:54 PM

Jaded Memes that annoy you

(Paraphrased)

"We bullied our classmate for three years until he finally snapped and shot up the school. Now we want to ban guns. "
Old 01 April 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
(Paraphrased)

"We bullied our classmate for three years until he finally snapped and shot up the school. Now we want to ban guns. "
Yes, because "We bullied our classmate for three years until he finally snapped and punched us in the nose" doesn't make it to the headlines.
Old 02 April 2018, 12:56 AM

I bet that the vast majority of people echoing that meme also bitch about any anti-bullying measures by accusing the victims of being weak or similar.
Old 02 April 2018, 01:58 AM

I've seen "There will always be bullying, so we need to teach kids to stand up for themselves."
Old 02 April 2018, 03:18 AM

Mouse

And while I hate to toot my own horn (well, not really), as I’ve pointed out, the Parkland Asshole wasn’t just some misunderstood misfit pushed too far: he was an entitled jagoff with a log history of being an entitled jagoff and just an overall horrible person.

Even if the meme was true and the Parkland students had bullied him relentlessly, that still doesn’t make it right for him to shoot them. It also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to pass tighter gun laws, so when a jagoff lashes out, he’s not doing it with the civilian equivalent of a machine gun. Getting rid of assault weapons wouldn’t solve all problems forever, but it would greatly reduce the death toll which is, in itself a victory. If it means we have one less family burying a relative, one less maimed or traumatized survivor, that would be worth it. We won’t be able to completely keep bad things from happening, but if we reduce the amount or just the toll, it is an accomplishment worth achieving.
Old 05 April 2018, 07:09 PM

One I saw on twitter today and did not understand until I read an article about the Youtube shooter...

Murders commited by PETA members 1 (photo of Youtube Shooter)
Murders commited by NRA members 0 (photo of Superbeet Lady)

Wasn't the guy who shot "American Sniper" a NRA guy as well as a veteran?
I don't know, and I don't think I have the google fu to untangle this one.
Old 05 April 2018, 07:24 PM

Annual number of deaths by animal in the US: ~1,600
Annual number of deaths by firearm in the US: ~11,300
Old 05 April 2018, 07:24 PM

My guess would be that over the years there have been quite a few murders committed by NRA members (especially if one says just 'murders' and not 'mass shootings'); simply on the grounds that there are an awful lot of people who either are, or have at some time been, members of the NRA, and I don't think they're any more immune from becoming murderers than any other large group of humans.
Old 05 April 2018, 07:33 PM

I suspect there have been other murders committed by PETA members too for that matter. Not that most memes are necessarily well thought out but that one really wins the biscuit for makes no sense!
Old 05 April 2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Last I saw, no one other than the shooter has died from the YouTube shooting, so that part is wrong.
And at least one murder has been committed by an NRA member. In 2013, a lifetime NRA member shot and killed a motorist in Florida and was convicted of murder for it.
Old 07 April 2018, 02:46 AM

What is it with all the videos of elderly people dancing? It's even more common than babies dancing or cats playing piano. OMG old people can do stuff too? Who knew?
Old 07 April 2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
It's silly to think that all shooters in the USA are members of the NRA, as clearly they are not. But it is the NRA that is providing the means for the 'bad' shooters to own guns. This is the crux of the problem.
Old 08 April 2018, 06:56 PM

All of the "name" memes. Just lists of names with some arbitrary characteristic attached to them. They're so stupid and I don't understand why anyone finds them fun. The one that pushed me to make this post was one that had like 60 women's names listed and was captioned something like "Girls with these names are ready for some summer fun in the sun!" I know they're just there for clickbait and for people to post either "Yup that's me!!!!," "Huh my names missing?????," or link a friend who is either listed or not listed, and I know it doesn't take much effort to read it and respond to it so it's not like people are spending lots of time or effort responding to the posts......... but still...

It's never an interesting commentary, like that one story about the kids named Winner and Loser and Loser grew up to be a doctor or something and Winner never found success as an adult, just a dumb trait that can be applied to just about anybody and then a list of names that were popular for babies 30 years ago.

(I wonder if this hatred I feel is how some people feel about horoscopes.... but at least those require a little effort on the writer's part!!....)

(Hmmm. Though now i kind of want to make one like "Girls with these names are SO looking forward to Gone with the Windat the matinee screening" and it's all names that were popular at the beginning of last century )
Old 10 April 2018, 02:58 AM

Mouse

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but this one seems to be the best. If I am wrong, let me beseech the almighty site guru for forgiveness.

Anyway, I am an absolute sucker for People magazine, but really with any magazine, I actually enjoy reading the Letters to the Editor. Unlike comments on Internet news articles, to which my kneejerk reaction is "Nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure," magazine comments can occasionally be worth reading.

Then there are ones that just make you facepalm. This is one of them.

Quote:
Guns aren't the problem, allowing nuts to buy them is the problem. Stricter rules to buy guns are needed. Criminals buying guns is wrong. They are the problem, not the guns!
Because I try every now and then to be charitable and slightly less bitchy, I will point out that at least she (and it is a she. Thought I ought to leave off the name.) admits that regulations on guns are needed. The rest, though...

Does she think that gun control advocates believe that people are being gunned down by sentient, hovering guns? Because we've been advocating for regulations keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and nutbars.
Old 10 April 2018, 04:41 AM

My guess is that that comment* means that whatever rules are in place should completely prohibit criminals from buying guns without causing any change to the way non-criminals like the writer buy guns or make any gun or gun component illegal for non-criminals to own and use.

* If there is any thought behind it. Which cannot be assumed.
Old 10 April 2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
My guess is that that comment* means that whatever rules are in place should completely prohibit criminals from buying guns without causing any change to the way non-criminals like the writer buy guns or make any gun or gun component illegal for non-criminals to own and use.

* If there is any thought behind it. Which cannot be assumed.
Which totally ignores the fact that
a) until someone does commit a crime, someone intending to commit a crime could purchase a gun to commit said crime
b) someone who committed a minor infraction could be barred from ownership, despite having been rehabilitated.

but then again, the author probably doesn't believe rehabilitation is possible...
Old 10 April 2018, 04:01 PM

Point a) is especially pertinent as several of the mass shooters had no convictions for major (or any) crimes prior to the shooting.
Old 10 April 2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Does she think that gun control advocates believe that people are being gunned down by sentient, hovering guns? Because we've been advocating for regulations keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and nutbars.
Considering there a meme (that annoys me) I've seen before of a picture of a gun sitting on a table with the caption "Huh, my gun hasn't killed anyone yet. I guess it must be broken", or something along those lines, they do think that. Or more precisely that's a strawman they use to try to discredit gun control advocates.
Old 10 April 2018, 05:27 PM

It's the classic "wisdom" about guns not killing people, but people killing people. Which of course ignores two salient points: a) gun control measures are often about keeping guns from the type of people who would kill people or limiting how quickly people can use guns can kill people and b) guns make it much quicker and easier for people to kill people.