snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 January 2018, 06:22 PM

Jaded St. Peters Company Sells Holocaust-Style Yellow Star for 'Gun Owners'

Quote:
The persecution of gun owners in America has an "uncanny" similarity to the abuses Jews suffered under Nazi rule — at least, that's true according to a remarkable item description for a "morale patch" shaped like a yellow Star of David that's currently being sold by a St. Peters gun store.
https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsbl...for-gun-owners

I'm going to be sick. The persecution complex of these yahoos has been taken to ridiculous levels.

This store has removed the patches out of their online catalog. The company that makes the patches is mentioned in a linked update. I don't know about you but that company makes some other patches that feature characters that belong to a certain mouse empire. They might want to know about this copyright infringement. There is a BB-8 one that isn't even a parody.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
We do not invoke this historical symbol lightly. The similarities of the current attitude of the legislative environment and the systematic persecution that this star represents are uncanny. There's no difference.
There's no difference?

I guess all my relatives on my father's side are alive and running around the place hunting deer in season, then. Odd that nobody seems to have noticed them over the last seventy-some years.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:32 PM

Bang Head

For the record, no one has come to our house to remove DH's guns.

Thanks [gun store] for making us 2nd Amendment supporters look like a bunch of paranoid kooks. Stay classy bastards.

Thorny Locust: maybe your relatives are running around because they're trying to elude Barack Obama and his assorted minions.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:40 PM

I remember my history classes. How everyone kept saying it was too soon to talk about banning Jews, how people pointed out that the only protection was a good guy with a Jew, how the legislature rigorously protected the rights of Jews despite the fact that a significant majority of the country was in favor of at least some limitations on Jew rights.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:42 PM

No

I wonder if the gun owners who bought the yellow stars would also welcome such a patch in the shape of a pink triangle, representing another persecuted group. I don't usually like to stereotype, but I suspect they wouldn't.

BTW, the name of the retailer shows just how classy they are.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Thanks [gun store] for making us 2nd Amendment supporters look like a bunch of paranoid kooks. Stay classy bastards.
While I recognize that a lot of 2nd Amendment supporters are nice, reasonable people, there actually are a lot who are a bunch of paranoid kooks.

What we're seeing now is the National Gun-Manufacturer's Association, excuse me, Nation Rifle Association scrambling to find new ways to stoke that paranoia now that both Congress and the Presidency are in Republican hands.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:38 PM

ChasFink, no pink triangles but the company does have a patch that says "so long gay boys".

I got a response back from the mouse empire. They are glad I reported this and take such things seriously. Yes, I'm causing minor trouble for horrible people.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
While I recognize that a lot of 2nd Amendment supporters are nice, reasonable people, there actually are a lot who are a bunch of paranoid kooks.
Depending on how you define it, the majority of gun owners are not paranoid kooks. Over 3/4 of gun owners favor full background checks on private gun purchases (what is usually called the "gun show loophole"*) and over half favor a federal database to track gun purchases. Pretty sure paranoid kooks would be against any government tracking anything.

* Private gun sales have nothing to do with where the purchase is made. A legal purchase at a gun show would be legal through any other means.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:50 PM

If there was ever someone who deserved to be on the receiving end of the Mouse Empire's fully armed and operational legal department...