snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 December 2017, 10:59 AM

Icon06 Little things that make you sad

A close friend of mine's son didn't get invited to the birthday party of the kid he considers to be his best friend. The kid is understandably upset and my friend is heartbroken as well, his son is on the spectrum and has really struggled to make friends his whole life.
Old 18 December 2017, 12:45 PM

My sister in law has been upset for over a month and a half over some comments that we made about her family. We had no idea until this week that she was upset, and that was only because my brother told us. It makes me sad that she couldn't tell us herself and it makes me sad that my mother was so upset over it.
Old 02 January 2018, 09:51 PM

It shouldn't be next to impossible to find a therapist and psychiatrist with non-traditional hours here in the 14th largest metropolitan area in the United States. It took a month of looking to find a therapist who could see me before work, and I gave up on finding a psych who could do that.
Old 03 January 2018, 12:55 AM

I'm so sensitive to rejection that it's ridiculous. I can go from "I think this person accepts me" to "This person clearly hates my guts" based on the twitch of an eyebrow. I've been on a wait list for therapy since October. Boo.
Old 03 January 2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
I'm so sensitive to rejection that it's ridiculous. I can go from "I think this person accepts me" to "This person clearly hates my guts" based on the twitch of an eyebrow. I've been on a wait list for therapy since October. Boo.
It took me months to find this guy. Tiny office, the guy does his own scheduling, and even billing is all on him. Great listener, and seems to have some definite insight.
Old 15 March 2018, 01:14 PM

Icon06

A lifetime of excessive pronation has wrecked my knees to the point where it's painful to walk long distances without feeling it in my knees and back. Walking has always been my favorite type of exercise. Even the custom orthotics I have only help to a certain extent.
Old 15 March 2018, 03:01 PM

Glasses

Dawn, can you get a knee brace? I'm not talking the stretchy ones you buy at the drug store. My BIL has a brace so that his knee stays straight as he walks, and it lets him walk without (too much) pain. He also gets most of his exercise through walking.

Ah--like this one (yes, I know it's expensive, although it's the cheapest one I saw in a quick search).

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2018, 04:14 PM

I never thought of that! I'll have to look into it, but that price!
Old 20 March 2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Walking has always been my favorite type of exercise.
Walking has always been my favourite exercise as well, one time I spent half a day walking right across the city visiting the various different houses that I'd lived in over the years. But then I screwed up my feet and I've never been able to walk as much, so I've piled on some weight and haven't been able to get it back off.
Old 20 March 2018, 09:04 PM

The last big storm we had took a young evergreen tree in our back yard and left it bent at the trunk so that the top touched the ground. The next day I went out and cleared as much of the snow as I could off of it and pushed it up. It got to about a 60 degree angle (measuring point where it meets the ground to the top) but the branches are all pushed up and over, and it would require weighing the branches down to counterbalance them in order to get the tree straight again.

We are due another immense storm tomorrow, they say. I do not want the tree to just get pushed over again. The branches are turning brownish so I don't know if it is already in the process of dying. I took an old wooden ladder and shoved it under the tree to prop it up. It's at maybe 75 degrees upright now. I'm worried the snow will just break off the top half or however much of the tree, above where the ladder meets it, but also didn't want to just leave it with no support to just inevitably get weighed down again.

It is a transplant tree that we grew from a twig from a family vacation 10 or 11 years ago.
Old 21 March 2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
The last big storm we had took a young evergreen tree in our back yard and left it bent at the trunk so that the top touched the ground. The next day I went out and cleared as much of the snow as I could off of it and pushed it up. It got to about a 60 degree angle (measuring point where it meets the ground to the top) but the branches are all pushed up and over, and it would require weighing the branches down to counterbalance them in order to get the tree straight again.

We are due another immense storm tomorrow, they say. I do not want the tree to just get pushed over again. The branches are turning brownish so I don't know if it is already in the process of dying. I took an old wooden ladder and shoved it under the tree to prop it up. It's at maybe 75 degrees upright now. I'm worried the snow will just break off the top half or however much of the tree, above where the ladder meets it, but also didn't want to just leave it with no support to just inevitably get weighed down again.

It is a transplant tree that we grew from a twig from a family vacation 10 or 11 years ago.
Would it be possible to lash it to a post and use other posts to form a tripod around it? It would only be a temporary solution until the ground thaws out enough that you could hammer stakes into the ground but it should be fairly stable.
Old 21 March 2018, 03:37 PM

Glasses

If the needles are turning brownish, the tree is seriously injured. You need to prepare yourself for the possibility it may not recover.

Seaboe
Old 21 March 2018, 06:43 PM

Can you maybe take a healthy twig now, to restart the growing process? You would get a "tree that we grew from a twig from a tree that we grew from a twig from a family vacation", and that's better than no tree at all.
Old 21 March 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Would it be possible to lash it to a post and use other posts to form a tripod around it? It would only be a temporary solution until the ground thaws out enough that you could hammer stakes into the ground but it should be fairly stable.
I wanted to do this but the ladder was just a last-minute type save I did as I was coming home and still in my work clothes. I don't know where we would ahve kept the necessary supplies for staking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
If the needles are turning brownish, the tree is seriously injured. You need to prepare yourself for the possibility it may not recover.

Seaboe
This makes a lot of sense. It was very badly bent and was held down by the snow for a long time- less than a full 24 hours but still bad. I probably should have tried to prop it up sooner, though who knows whether that would have helped with the severity of the weight.

I hope some of the branches will remain healthy enough that perhaps we can transplant again. Part of the problem was it was close to our shed, so the branches on the out-facing side (the one it eventually drooped to) were much heavier with foliage.

We lost another long-needled pine tree near that part of the yard a few months ago. Spontaneously all of the needles turned brown/orange. Just not good luck out there for our young trees.
Old 13 June 2018, 11:27 PM

A cousin in a distant town posted about a stuffed animal toy found at a local convenience store. It is a Gerald toy from Mo Willem's Gerald and Piggy books. Willems also wrote Knuffle Bunny about a child losing her favorite stuffed bunny. This just makes it all extra sad.
Old 13 June 2018, 11:58 PM

Here's hoping they bought a Tile. (warning, that video is like the one from The Ring except it summons hordes of onion-cutting ninjas)
Old 14 June 2018, 12:06 AM

I was looking up a few authors of "cozy mysteries" that I was following and found that of the 4 authors I checked 3 have died within the last few years . Sometimes being able to easily google information sucks.
Old 31 July 2018, 03:47 PM

Glasses

As you all know, my BFF is struggling. Her father is 90, has a brain tumor, and is failing. All of her cats are developing kidney issues (the youngest is 8 or 10, IIRC). One of her cats (the youngest) just had surgery for cancer.

Yesterday, her oldest cat, who had been at the vets for dehydration and other issues, died. His heart stopped while they were trying to figure out what was wrong, and she had a do-not-resuscitate order, so he died. She didn't even get to say goodbye.

Riley is one of the cats who came camping with us in 2005, who introduced me to the "joys" of cats as heaters (not actually joyful, since a hot cat is a restless cat), who had to be forced to drink fluids because he was really picky about his water bowl. He was an omega cat, bottom of the totem pole--and thus the only one that all of the other cats would play with. Also, the last of her indoor cats that I really knew. Now he's gone.

And my BFF is crushed. And I'm in Seattle where I can't do much to help, except listen to her when she calls.

Seaboe
Old 31 July 2018, 07:00 PM

That must be so hard for her, and for you by extension. Kitty snuggles have gotten me through a lot of stress and grief these last eight years; I can't imagine losing that when I need it most, or grieving the loss of my cat while already so vulnerable. Don't discount the value of what you can offer your friend, though; "just" listening is among the most important things anyone can do.
Old 17 August 2018, 05:47 PM

Icon06

One of our cats is just not meant to be in a mult-cat household; DH and I just hope we can get her into the county's barn cat program. We tried, Lord knows we tried, but she's just to shy and semi-feral.