snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 28 December 2017, 02:11 PM

I can honestly say Google has never nagged me. Yet.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:21 PM

Roll eyes

I keep getting prompts to activate, turn on, use, etc the Google Assistant. It's easy! All I have to do is say something--ask and I shall receive!
Now I like the other Google features: Docs, Drive, Gmail, but I really do not need an assistant, and yes I do wonder about security. I also don't see the need to be constantly logged in. YMMV.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Google, I do not need an assistant! Shut up and go away!
Clippy will make his grand return sometime.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:49 PM

Clippy was cute, if not remotely helpful. Sometimes I miss the days when my computer really had no idea what I was doing or what to do about it. I haven't turned on Google Assistant either, though it keeps trying, but I know in the long run resistance is futile because everyone else's devices will be surveilling me at all times; I might as well get the benefits.
Old 03 January 2018, 04:25 PM

France

Dear tablet, when I want to write in english, that's because I'm writing on a english forum. So I don't want to see the english words I use being replaced by french words, and having to to delete them and start all over again. And that goes for you too, smartphone !
Old 03 January 2018, 04:58 PM

France

Kermor, is there some kind of toggle that enables you to switch to English?
Old 03 January 2018, 08:49 PM

Would it really be all that hard to make the cash machine remember that I prefer English over Spanish? Perhaps encode it on the card itself?
Old 03 January 2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Would it really be all that hard to make the cash machine remember that I prefer English over Spanish? Perhaps encode it on the card itself?
No it's not. My Golden1 machines remember just that, much to my annoyance when I accidentally switched to Spanish for a bit. And while I could remember enough high school Spanish as well as just recall the layout to get simple cash. I could not do anything more complex, including switching back to English until I sought help from the banks staff.
Old 04 January 2018, 02:46 PM

Dear Apple:

It would be nice if those instructions on how to use the iPad that come loaded on the iPad as an ibooks document were more complete, or more accurate, or whatever.

After several days of frustratedly tapping on the x in the corner of a safari tab in an attempt to close it, as the instructions indicated; and sometimes succeeding in closing it by swiping left, but sometimes not, because apparently you have to swipe just so; I hunted around online and discovered that tapping on the x will indeed work -- but only if you first tap on the separate tabs indicator at the top of the screen.

Upon reflection, this makes sense, as it probably prevents a lot of accidentally closed tabs. But the basic instructions should have mentioned it, don't you think?
Old 08 January 2018, 01:16 PM

Icon02

Word, all I want to do is to paste something onto another document--what's with all the choices? Just paste the damn thing!
Old 08 January 2018, 01:59 PM

Dear new computer (thanks very much, assorted family!):

I should not have to worry about accidentally doing something that will wind up causing you to remove all my documents from my computer and put them in the Cloud instead. I do not want them in the cloud. I want them here at home, where I know I can get at them whatever my connection is doing.

(The only official Apple document I can find on this appears to assume everything's already in the cloud, and tells you how to turn it off, but that this will then make all your docs seem to disappear and you'll have to download them from the cloud again. Which can apparently take quite a long time. I think that as long as I don't give the new setup an apple ID it stays inactivated; but I don't know whether using the ID in some other fashion -- such as to get the full iPad manual -- might also feed it to iCloud.)
Old 08 January 2018, 02:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Word, all I want to do is to paste something onto another document--what's with all the choices? Just paste the damn thing!
Some of us like all the choices.

Seaboe
Old 08 January 2018, 03:19 PM

Yes. It matters to me whether the text is copied in its original format or in the format of the destination document, for example.
Old 11 January 2018, 08:05 PM

Dear cash machines outside of Switzerland,

If you want to display a different language, perhaps try asking which language the user would like? German is not the only language in Switzerland, and I do understand English and would prefer it.

(Strangely this was only a problem in Scotland and England. The cash machines in most countries either give me a choice or only had the local language.)
Old 11 January 2018, 11:39 PM

Semi-dear new iPad,

Why, oh why, will Pages not load, whatever I do?

Not-as-dear-as-you-used-to-be-Apple:

Why, oh why, when I search you for various permutations and wordings of why isn't pages loading, do you keep giving me instead instructions for how to use pages on an ipad if only it would do so?
Old 13 January 2018, 01:11 PM

Icon02

Google, I believe we talked about this: no one cares that I was in the Costco yesterday! No I am not posting a photo and providing a review!
Old 19 January 2018, 01:05 AM

This is sort of a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" thing.

I use the samsung health app to keep track of my sleep and most of my activity during the day. (I don't have a fitbit or other device, so it only tracks when I"m carrying or holding the phone, but I'm okay with it underestimating or underrepresenting my activity to some degree).

The thing is even though both these tools are part of the same app, they aren't in any way synced with each other. So despite the app knowing (well, "knowing") I go to bed between 9:15 and 9:45 95% of the time, I get notifications at like 8:30 encouraging me with "You've made your activity goal for the day with plenty of time to spare! Want to step it up? (button appears to schedule an activity for later)"

Umm, health app, you're not supposed to do cardio within 2 hours of bedtime!!! Are you trying to sabotage me???

(It doesn't actually bother or upset me- I get that it's just programmed to say that if you've met your goal before, like, 11pm- I mostly just think it's funny. I think on one late-staying-up night I even got the text at like 10:30. Really???)
Old 19 January 2018, 12:14 PM

Dear Mac 10.13.2,

There is supposed to be a difference between 'sleep', 'restart', and 'shut down'. If I ask you to do the first, you should not be substituting one of the others.

(This is apparently a known bug that may, a number of people are hoping, be fixed in the next update.)
Old 25 January 2018, 11:14 AM

Laptop- why did it take fifteen minutes from waking you out of hibernate mode to be able to open a folder, open a pdf in that folder, and then print that pdf?

*sigh* At least I wasn't in a rush yet....

m "needs to clean up this machine" bravo
Old 01 February 2018, 05:35 PM

Jaded

MS Word, contractions are legitimate words--there is no reason to flag them and suggest the two original words! I know that contractions are normally not used in formal writing, but not everything I write is formal.