snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 10 July 2018, 03:18 PM

When I was in high school, I had a cat that loved toast. If you left a loaf of bread on the counter, she'd claw her way into the bag to eat it (this happened twice).

One time when she was a kitten, she came into the kitchen while Mom was eating toast for breakfast. Seeing Mom's toast, Robin proceeded to climb up Mom to her shoulder, then walked out Mom's arm, stood on Mom's wrist, and ate Mom's toast.
Old 10 July 2018, 05:07 PM

My replacement Discover card has nothing on the front, except for the Discover logo and the chip.

All of the other information is now printed on the rear of the card.

The card just seems naked without the card number and my name on the front.

The upside is the new card does not have the account number embossed into the card, which is good, for the reason I've replaced the card is the old card was cracking on the embossed account number.
Old 10 July 2018, 06:38 PM

Icon23

I was going to grill some meat for dinner last evening but I ran out of propane and had to prepare the meat inside on the the stove top. A related FWP is that I need to stop at a Home Depot on my way home from work to pick up some more propane because I want to try a new grilled corn recipe.
Old 10 July 2018, 10:48 PM

Instead of buying or rather exchanging an empty cylinder for a filled one, if there is a propane dealer nearby, take the empty cylinder to the dealer and get it refilled. Usually this is cheaper. but takes a little longer.
Old 11 July 2018, 04:06 PM

Good idea! This a small tabletop grill, so I'd need to get a hose to attach to a larger tank. I've been using a small welding torch tank for as long as I've had the grill. I really should look into getting the hose and start getting a larger tank.
Old 12 July 2018, 04:08 PM

Icon204

Air Force One is such a dump!
The color scheme sucks, and the bed's too small.
Old 12 July 2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Air Force One is such a dump!
The color scheme sucks, and the bed's too small.
Not enough gold and marble and plush carpets like his Trump Shuttle planes.
Old 12 July 2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Not enough gold paint and faux marble and cheap plush carpets like his Trump Shuttle planes.
fixed it for you
Old 16 July 2018, 03:16 PM

I'm doing a jigsaw puzzle that I actually started to do about a year ago, then had to roll up in a jigsaw roll because I needed the space in the room it was in. It was rolled up for ages, then I unrolled it in a new place (my dining table) thinking there would be room for it on the table, but there wasn't, so I rolled it up again and unrolled it back where it was originally. There was also the box full of unsorted pieces and a separate tray full of sorted pieces knocking around for all this time. I hadn't got all that far with it originally - just done the edge, mostly - and the puzzle sat for ages before I started to do bits of it again, just a few pieces at a time as I walked past.

Anyway, eventually I thought I'd carry on properly and have now done two thirds of it. But it appears that in all the moving around, I might have lost some pieces. It's an antique world map, and the equator is a distinctive dotted line across the middle. There are three pieces of equator that I've not found yet, and it's distinctive enough that I'm pretty sure they're not in any of the remaining pieces in the box or that I've sorted out.

And this is stopping me from doing the rest as well, because if I'm looking for a particular piece, I'm no longer sure it's going to be there. And I'm not sure at what point these pieces would have fallen out and got lost. My flat's not usually very tidy and it might be hard to find them.

I've still got enough left to do that I can't be completely sure these pieces are missing, though! There are still two or three hundred loose bits left...

I suppose that if they are missing, trying to find them will give another incentive to tidy up. But doing puzzles is supposed to be relaxing, and I don't want them to turn into another sort of chore or niggle!
Old 16 July 2018, 05:28 PM

Bah! My life is nothing but problems at the moment! I just went shopping, and my debit card (contactless payment) was declined. I wondered for a moment whether it was just a random check, as apparently they do that sometimes, but it quite firmly said "card declined" with no explanation or invitation to try again using the PIN. So I used my credit card to pay for the shopping.

Then I spent the whole way home worrying about how I could have spent my entire balance, including the overdraft limit, without even noticing. This would have meant I'd spent well over a thousand pounds more than I'd expected, in only a few weeks. I knew of one big payment that was coming out, and I realised I'd been buying lots of beer lately because of the world cup and generally just not paying much attention to spending, and I'd been meaning to check the balance for a while, but I couldn't work out how I could possibly have spent that much more than I'd thought. Also, last time I went overdrawn slightly (and miles from hitting the limit), the bank texted me to warn of a charge, and they'd not done so this time that I'd seen.

So I got home and gritted my teeth and checked my balance and it was fine - positive, and more than I would have expected (disregarding the panic) even though the large payment had come out. I rang the bank and it turned out it was just a random contactless check, because I've apparently not used the PIN for too many transactions. When they do this, you're supposed to then use the PIN to authorise the card instead - but it just said "declined", which looked pretty definite, and the checkout woman didn't offer the opportunity to use the PIN pad.

Stupid banks, making me think I was poor...
Old 16 July 2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
missing puzzle pieces
This story reminds me of a puzzle I had as a young child. It was a 100-piece puzzle of the solar system that I religiously would complete every day (I believe to the point where I would actually do all the pieces in the same exact order as well). The piece that included the second half of Mercury went missing early in the puzzle's tenure and I never, ever found it, and had to come to accept it as a feature of the puzzle....

I hope you find your pieces, even if it takes a while of unintentional "discovery" finds while cleaning.

My FWP: The mail gets here relatively late in the day. We usually don't get it until anywhere from 4:30-5:45. It's not really a "problem" problem, just that we are impatient and want to catalog our rsvps.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:25 PM

My mail jumps back and forth between arriving early, 10ish, to very late, sometimes after 5pm.

For a while it was always on the early side. During this time my schedule was such that I could get a Netflix in the mail, watch it and have it out in the same day's mail.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I rang the bank and it turned out it was just a random contactless check, because I've apparently not used the PIN for too many transactions. When they do this, you're supposed to then use the PIN to authorise the card instead - but it just said "declined", which looked pretty definite, and the checkout woman didn't offer the opportunity to use the PIN pad.

Stupid banks, making me think I was poor...
I think it is some of the newer machines that are showing a flat decline rather then prompting for the PIN. The same thing has happened to me a number of times on my accounts over the past year or so. Particularly annoying when using my company debit card as I have not committed the PIN to memory!

Also, Richard If you want a good challenging Jigsaw, I have one to gift you that is right up your street. Mrs Off finished it in under a week. Can you beat that? POM me your address and Iíll pop it in the post!
Old 17 July 2018, 01:00 PM

Tantrum

There's a lunar eclipse coming up on July 27 but I won't be able to see it.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:37 AM

Mouse

My iPad died. It's still covered under warranty, but the trouble I went to, so they'd send me an envelope (so I could return my damaged iPad), has gotten me mad enough that I want to go on a road trip to Cupertino, just so I can desecrate Steve Jobs's grave. And since Steve Jobs was, by all accounts, a total asshole, there will probably be a line.
Old 21 July 2018, 09:54 AM

Whalephant

I bought a replacement Kindle Fire 8 because mine is dying. They don't make it in Tangerine any more. I had to go with Marine Blue.
Old 21 July 2018, 12:29 PM

Is Marine Blue like Navy Blue, only (more/less) [stereotype characteristic of sailors] ?
Old 21 July 2018, 12:37 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is Marine Blue like Navy Blue, only (more/less) [stereotype characteristic of sailors] ?
Hey, autocorrect capitalized it, not me.
Old 24 July 2018, 12:46 AM

My city isn't going to accept shredded paper in their recycling bins anymore. It used to be allowed as long as it was bagged. I can't stand the thought of just throwing it in the trash. I guess I'll just have to compost it, or use it as mulch, or packing material...
Old 24 July 2018, 02:05 PM

Glasses

WildaBeast,
Seattle hasn't accepted cross-cut shredded paper for long time, but they do accept it in the compost bins. Apparently, shredded paper (especially cross-cut) isn't really recyclable because the fibers are too short to make new paper.

Seaboe