snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 11 July 2018, 09:23 PM

Down: The lunch I brought from home today was too small, and I was quite hungry again by 2:00.
Up: I found a nice veggie and cheese tray in the break room, apparently leftover from a meeting, which made for a nice mid afternoon snack.
Old 15 July 2018, 09:20 PM

Up: I had written a while ago in possibly the gardening thread about my orchid plant that was dying. In my new apartment that doesn't have any cats or other predators, I've been able to keep it in a very sunny window and it has really come back to life!!! A bud formed on the top of the plant (near where I had cut off the old dead flower from October) and is slowly unraveling, leaf after leaf, and I wonder when it will begin to blossom!

down: The plant is staked and today I was messing around with the clips holding it to the stake. I accidentally rubbed the plant up against the stake and broke off a second bud that was forming a few inches below the larger opening bud.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:36 PM

Glasses

Down: one of my BFF's cats has cancer.
Up: she can afford to have it treated (surgery has been performed).
Down: she may still lose her cat, because it has another mysterious health issue the vets don't think is related to the cancer.
Up: Mallory (the cat) is still eating and enjoying life.

Down: my BFF's father has had another decline.
Up: he was quite responsive yesterday, and seems to have stabilized again.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 06:19 PM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
D

Down: my BFF's father has had another decline.
Up: he was quite responsive yesterday, and seems to have stabilized again.

Seaboe
I'm sorry to hear that Seaboe.

UP: I've hired some landscapers to start clearing my yard of weedy trees and other botanical crud. I told them to just concentrate on one section at a time so they won't get over whelmed.
DOWN: It will cost a lot.
UP: I'm not doing it.
DOWN: I used to be able to stay on top of all it, but that was 10-20 years ago. It's called getting old, Dawn.
Old 23 July 2018, 07:35 PM

Down: My laptop is officially dead, so I now have the unexpected expense of buying a new one.
Up: I realized the credit card I used to pay for the now dead laptop offers a free extended warranty on items paid for using said card, and the laptop is likely covered by it even though the original manufacturer's warranty has expired. I already ordered a new one but I think I can get reimbursed the amount it would have cost to repair the old one.
Down: I have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to exercise that extended warranty, including digging up the original receipt and manufacturer's warranty, and getting a repair estimate for the old laptop.
Old 24 July 2018, 06:47 AM

Up: I got to leave my Work For The Dole job placement two hours early because my supervisor is nice!

Down: When I stepped off the bus there was a torrential downpour and I didn't have an umbrella so I got soaked running home.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:38 PM

Ambulance

DOWN: I've been diagnosed with two blood clots in my left leg.
UP: I didn't have to spend the night in the hospital because of a new blood thinner medicine.
DOWN: It's expensive!!!
UP: I would have had to pay the same price had I been admitted to the hospital and spent a few days there.
Old 27 July 2018, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Down: My BFF had to take one of her cats to the vet's unexpectedly (a 75 mile drive).
Up: He was dehydrated, but otherwise okay (he's old, and very picky about the water he drinks).
Down: She got home to discover that her front door was open*, and feared that another of her cats (who has proven to be able to open doors), was missing.
Up: She called me in a panic, but while she was on the line (shaking a dish of food and calling him), he appeared inside the house.

My guess? Patrick let himself out sometime while she was gone, but went back in before she arrived home. She just didn't need that, yesterday.

Seaboe

*Her front porch is not visible from the road, or even from the driveway; she is usually very good about locking it, but what with Riley (the other cat) collapsing, I suspect she was not her usual level-headed self when she left for the vet's.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Down: My laptop is officially dead, so I now have the unexpected expense of buying a new one.
Up: I realized the credit card I used to pay for the now dead laptop offers a free extended warranty on items paid for using said card, and the laptop is likely covered by it even though the original manufacturer's warranty has expired. I already ordered a new one but I think I can get reimbursed the amount it would have cost to repair the old one.
Down: I have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to exercise that extended warranty, including digging up the original receipt and manufacturer's warranty, and getting a repair estimate for the old laptop.
Neutral: I managed to find the receipt and mailed off all the paperwork for the extended warranty claim on Saturday.

Up. Today I got a check in the mail from the company that administers my credit card's benefits. Although I thought two days seemed awfully fast for them to have gotten the paperwork and sent out a check.

Down: I was right. The check was actually for a "price rewind" request I'd made earlier. Apparently I'd accidentally requested a check rather than a statement credit like I usually do with those things. So the check was two orders of magnitude less than I was hoping for. Fingers crossed that I eventually get the extend warranty payment.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:05 AM

Mouse

Down: I had to go on a road trip, which was irritating. because the radio stations in my area play every kind of music, Country and Western.

Up: I am currently in a place with tons of good rock stations.
Old 20 August 2018, 11:31 PM

Up: My cell phone actually gets reception while I'm at work now. I used to never be able a signal at my desk.
Down: Now my cell phone actually rings when I get a robo call while I'm at work. Before they would just show up as missed calls after I left the building.
Old 21 August 2018, 05:35 PM

Icon27

Down: seriously stormy weather is predicted for this area later on this afternoon. Sorry Pearl! No dog park today!
Up: after today, the weather is predicted to be fan-freaking-tastic as in lower humidity through the weekend.
Old 22 August 2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Down: seriously stormy weather is predicted for this area later on this afternoon. Sorry Pearl! No dog park today!
Up: after today, the weather is predicted to be fan-freaking-tastic as in lower humidity through the weekend.
The weather's been "Stormy" in Washington, DC.
that's resulted in some ups and downs in the lives of people too...

Old 22 August 2018, 02:12 PM

Frying Pan

@ Alarm: rimshot.
Old 22 August 2018, 03:06 PM

Down: My much loved mid-sized keyboard started acting up several months ago.
Up: My computer-handy friend was able to crack it open and fix it, earning me several more months of use from it.
Down: It finally broke for good the other day.
Up: I actually had a replacement on hand! I'd purchased a fairly nice set with a mouse & mouse pad, headset, and keyboard in it around the holidays. While everything else found a good home as gifts, the keyboard wound up tucked away in a closet.
Down: It's a more compact keyboard, and I keep hitting the wrong keys, as they're ever so slightly spaced differently. I feel like if it was more different it would be easier to hammer in new muscle memory movements, but as it stands, it's just close enough to make my fingers fall in all the wrong places. It really shouldn't be this frustrating, but it is.
Up: Learning to hang out on my new home row is more than worth not having to dip into my savings, which means I'm still on track for a new microwave next month. Huzzah for re-gifting something to myself!
Old 24 August 2018, 01:24 PM

Bonsai Kitten

DOWN: I got home after work to discover that my cat had thrown up on my bed

UP: She only threw up a tiny little bit!

DOWN: Even though it was only a tiny little bit she still managed to hit my winter doona, my bath robe and two pillows.

UP: It didn't soak through to the mattress!
Old 24 August 2018, 01:56 PM

Goat

DOWN: We've had a huge amount of rain, so I have not been able to mow my lawn for about 3 weeks, and the grass is over 10 inches (I dunno, maybe a meter for you foreigners..a half fathom?)

UP: It stopped raining so I could go mow!

DOWN: The mower wasn't working

UP: My mower guy stopped by the next day and replaced the fuel pump, and only charged me $45 (something like 30 pounds for you foreigners, or like 60 dollars Aussie/Canadian...or like 50 Euros?)

DOWN: I got about half the yard mowed and the mower stopped working again

UP: Mower guy stopped by again and fixed it, for free!

DOWN: The mower stopped working again. Maybe my wife is right and we need sheep.
Old 24 August 2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
DOWN: We've had a huge amount of rain, so I have not been able to mow my lawn for about 3 weeks, and the grass is over 10 inches (I dunno, maybe a meter for you foreigners..a half fathom?
I believe that is 4 rods, which is a knot short of a hectare, or 26.2 drams.
Old 26 August 2018, 01:15 PM

Up: I went for a walk last week from my "Great Walks of Brisbane" book.

Down: Brisbane is hilly, many of the walk have the note "many hilly sections that may prove difficult for people with low endurance" so did this one. I don't usually have a problem. But this one had really steep hills I found it really hard and didn't get to see as much of the Toowong cemetery as I would have liked.

Further Down: I was so tired I left my "Great Walks of Brisbane" book at the Toowong train station and even though I reported it to lost property it doesn't look like I will get it back.

Up: I wasn't sure if it was still in print but I went to a book shop and got "Walking Brisbane" it is by the same author and is "Revised and updated"

Down: It is missing many walks, quite a few that I had planed to do as well as my local one (I live half away long it) and I am not sure the maps are as good.

Up?:But a few of the buildings and cafes described in the last one were no longer the same so it obviously needed an update. Also not all the walks in the last one started at public transport and they all seem to in this one. And some of the directions weren't that clear...is this one better...time will tell.

Shrug: Also this book has 30 walks. I don't think the last one had that many so why are some missing? I am guessing they have combined "Great Brisbane Walks" and "More Great Brisbane Walks" (which I had planed to get) but I can't really see many new ones...this is going to bug me. I am going to have to see if the have they other books in the library and compare.

Last edited by Dasla; 26 August 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 27 August 2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
DOWN: We've had a huge amount of rain, so I have not been able to mow my lawn for about 3 weeks, and the grass is over 10 inches (I dunno, maybe a meter for you foreigners..a half fathom?)

UP: It stopped raining so I could go mow!

DOWN: The mower wasn't working

UP: My mower guy stopped by the next day and replaced the fuel pump, and only charged me $45 (something like 30 pounds for you foreigners, or like 60 dollars Aussie/Canadian...or like 50 Euros?)

DOWN: I got about half the yard mowed and the mower stopped working again

UP: Mower guy stopped by again and fixed it, for free!

DOWN: The mower stopped working again. Maybe my wife is right and we need sheep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I believe that is 4 rods, which is a knot short of a hectare, or 26.2 drams.
Well, half a yard is 50 centimeters, so that mower didn't go very far...