snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 27 June 2018, 02:08 PM

Reading Question: What Book or Article Would You Make Required Reading for Everyone on Earth?

This is from The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-earth/561761/

There are so many important books and articles; I would not know where to begin!

I was thinking (at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law) of Mein Kamf. An evil madman's version of a 'perfect' world. Read, beware and stay vigilant, the last one being Freedom's true price.
I personally have never read the book, so maybe I should recommend one that I've actually read. Maybe Fahrenheit 451.
Old 27 June 2018, 03:00 PM

I don't think there's a whole lot, if any, of books or articles that will make sense if people are only going to read that one thing. Everything written, and very nearly everything said, needs the context of a whole lot of other stuff.

Having said that, here's something I wish a lot of people would include in their reading:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/LeftHandMillsCollege.html
Old 27 June 2018, 03:34 PM

Glasses

Maybe someday, in the far future, the world will really be one society and I will feel comfortable requiring everyone in the world to read a piece of Western literature, philosophy, or thought (which is pretty much all I've read myself). Right now, I can't think of anything that's suitable.

Not to mention that I have a hard time with the idea of making people read anything.

Seaboe
Old 27 June 2018, 05:10 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Not to mention that I have a hard time with the idea of making people read anything.

Seaboe
You do have a point there! I don't know of anyone who likes forced reading. Maybe the article I cited should change its approach.

Thorny Locust, you're right as well.
Old 27 June 2018, 05:47 PM

And to complete this circle of agreement I'll add that I agree that Seaboe is correct, on both points of the post.