snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 15 June 2016, 06:58 PM

Why did they remove it? For the same reason people use the hashtag AllLivesMatter. So they can move the conversation away from the fact that some groups face many more problems than others.

ETA: Why do I get the feeling that somewhere there is a board with:

All beliefs are tolerated, but some are tolerated more than others.
Old 16 June 2016, 04:20 AM

Watching certain commentators on TV try to express sorrow and outrage about the massacre while simultaneously ensuring they completely avoid making any statement that could be seen as being sympathetic to or empathetic with LGBT people is just blowing my mind.
Old 16 June 2016, 05:33 AM

"We have to find out who gave him this training? Who gave him these guns?!"
Oh, he trained to be a police officer. He bought his guns legally.
"Like I was saying, where he got the training and guns is irrelevant! He was with Them!"
Not really. He was an extremely confused person who claimed at different times to be affiliated with many different groups and was probably only looking for the name that would bring the most attention to his actions.
"No! No! That doesn't fit our narrative! Noooooo!"
ad nauseum
Old 16 June 2016, 05:51 AM

A commentator yesterday pointed out that the president responsible for letting the shooter's family into the country wasn't President Obama, as Trump insinuated, it was Republican darling Ronald Reagan.
Old 16 June 2016, 09:04 AM

The President who was responsible for letting the people in that started all the trouble was probably Chief Wahunsenacawh ("Powhatan") in Jamestown in 1607.

In other words, I always have difficulties to understand how any American of European, Asian or African descent can earnestly base an argumentation on "we have to keep the foreigners out".
Old 16 June 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I always have difficulties to understand how any American of European, Asian or African descent can earnestly base an argumentation on "we have to keep the foreigners out".
Not foreigners, just, ya know...them. Those ones.
Old 16 June 2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I always have difficulties to understand how any American of European, Asian or African descent can earnestly base an argumentation on "we have to keep the foreigners out".
'I'm the last one worth letting in, lock the door behind me!'

-- we've been having this argument for pretty much the whole history of the country. The group being snarled at changes. The argument doesn't.

FWIW, so far at least, the argument so far as any specific group is concerned has always concluded in favor of the group. I agree that it would be much better if some members of each such group didn't then turn around and snarl at the next one.
Old 16 June 2016, 02:55 PM

From what I heard this morning, most of the Hispanic people involved were Puerto Rican which means they're Americans anyway.
Old 16 June 2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
In other words, I always have difficulties to understand how any American of European, Asian or African descent can earnestly base an argumentation on "we have to keep the foreigners out".
Even native Americans can't make that argument. Nobody is "native" (in the bizarro sense being used here) to the Americas.
Old 16 June 2016, 09:26 PM

But the First Nations were the original colonizers who didn't come in and claim that they'd "found" a heavily inhabited land then subsequently launch an organized campaign of genocide against those inhabitants.
Old 16 June 2016, 10:03 PM

Mammoths and horses would probably disagree with much of that statement.
Old 16 June 2016, 10:13 PM

It was their fault for being delicious!
Old 16 June 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
From what I heard this morning, most of the Hispanic people involved were Puerto Rican which means they're Americans anyway.
I think, as far as this incident, most of the foreigner bashing and suggestions that we should close our borders are coming from the right concerning Muslims, and specifically the killer's family, and, you know, people like them. As you know Trump has said the border should be closed to Muslims and he has suggested that Obama is to blame for failing to do so, even though the killer was born in New York and his family has been here for decades.

I don't think we really know if the killer targeted the victims because they were Hispanic (though he was described by coworkers as racist) or because he thought they were foreigners (I haven't heard anything supporting that).
Old 16 June 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
He's a frequent topic of discussion on freejinger.org(he and his wife have their own sub-forum).
Old 17 June 2016, 01:43 AM

There's days I wished that I fully believed in a heaven and a hell just so I'd know certain "good Christians" like the pastors can get a huge surprise after they die.
Old 17 June 2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
There's days I wished that I fully believed in a heaven and a hell just so I'd know certain "good Christians" like the pastors can get a huge surprise after they die.
You and me both, firefighter_raven. So they die and God says "You think I wanted you to do WHAT?"

We have people making the same arguments here. I had parents of a friend who used to go on about "foreigners" Her parents weren't born here so you know . To be fair our friendship group was mixed race and they didn't have a problem with them. Sometimes I don't think they make the contnection.
Old 17 June 2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
So they die and God says "You think I wanted you to do WHAT?"
Personally, I think that if there is a God it would be a whole lot more use to say that while the people are still alive and screwing up other people.

Of course, that's one of the reasons I think there isn't one; or at least not one both capable of and willing to give instructions of that sort to humans.
Old 17 June 2016, 01:20 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

We have people making the same arguments here. I had parents of a friend who used to go on about "foreigners" Her parents weren't born here so you know . To be fair our friendship group was mixed race and they didn't have a problem with them. Sometimes I don't think they make the contnection.
I had a huge fight with my brother once when he was going on about immigration and foreigners flooding into the country and I pointed out that on our Dad's side we were only the second generation born in Canada. In other words our much loved grandparents were immigrants and foreigners not so long ago. He didn't want to come right out and say that it didn't count since they were white and from England but it was so obvious that that is exactly what he wanted to say. Sigh.
Old 17 June 2016, 02:35 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I had a huge fight with my brother once when he was going on about immigration and foreigners flooding into the country and I pointed out that on our Dad's side we were only the second generation born in Canada. In other words our much loved grandparents were immigrants and foreigners not so long ago. He didn't want to come right out and say that it didn't count since they were white and from England but it was so obvious that that is exactly what he wanted to say. Sigh.

I keep pointing that I'm an immigrant to Canada and ALWAYS get "But you're the type of immigrant we want!" in response.

And the fact I adapted so well to a culture which to all intents and purposes is almost identical to the one I left in the UK is more proof that I'm acceptable..
Old 17 June 2016, 11:03 PM

I read that the Santa Monica man caught with weapons claimed he and Orlando shooter were trained by CIA for false flag attacks.