snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 16 June 2016, 05:00 PM

United Kingdom British politician Jo Cox in critical condition after attack in Birstall, police say

Quote:
London (CNN)British politician Jo Cox is in critical condition after being attacked Thursday in avillage in her constituency, according to West Yorkshire police and fellow MPs.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/europe...ked/index.html
Old 16 June 2016, 05:30 PM

No

West Yorkshire police have just announced that she has died. They have not given any motive, but a 52 year old man has been arrested. Weapons, including a firearm, have been recovered. During, or just after, the attack on Jo Cox the man attacked a 77 year-old man, but his injuries are not life threatening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304

I am totally shocked. I cannot remember anytime in the recent past when a British MP has been attacked and killed. Jo Cox was a member of the Labour party. David Cameron has abandoned a trip to Gibraltar and campaigning in the EU Referendum has been suspended.
Old 16 June 2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I am totally shocked. I cannot remember anytime in the recent past when a British MP has been attacked and killed. Jo Cox was a member of the Labour party. David Cameron has abandoned a trip to Gibraltar and campaigning in the EU Referendum has been suspended.
Per wiki it was 1991 when Donald Kaberry died from wounds recieved in an IRA bombing.

I was very surprised to read about her murder. Other countries sure but not the UK.
Old 16 June 2016, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the information f_r. I have been out all evening and I have just got in (it is now about 10:39 p.m.). Jo Cox was a prominent member of the Remain (in the European Union) campaign in the referendum next week. The subject of immigration is one of the most prominent issues and several witnesses have said that as she was attacked her attacker was screaming 'Britain first'. This is one of the slogans used by the Leave campaign.

The BBC is not suggesting this as a motive, but I am beginning to wonder if she has been murdered for her political views. This sort of thing does not happen in the UK. If a link with the Leave campaign is found I wonder if the referendum will now be postponed.

Added later: I have just found an interview with the man who heard the shouting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36552367
Old 16 June 2016, 10:52 PM

The attack was being reported as "breaking news" during the afternoon, but at the point I left work it was implied she was "stable" and it hadn't sounded necessarily life-threatening.

I just got back from the pub where everybody was watching football (which was not interrupted for this news) and found that she'd died from a comment in a thread here... shocking, definitely. How do people get this level of hatred, where they think killing is the right thing to do to make their point? The bloke who killed her apparently shouted "Britain First" during the attack, so it was definitely political and therefore counts as a terrorist act, but what did he think he was achieving? It's absolutely nonsensical.

And this sounds terribly inappropriate at a time like this, but I'm glad this isn't the USA and that he was relying on an apparently home-made or historical gun and a knife, and therefore couldn't make what he might have thought of as the kind of "wider point" that he could have made with more standard, modern weaponry.
Old 16 June 2016, 11:54 PM

I used to follow a fb page that was anti- Britain First before it got closed down (can a cabbage get more likes than Britain First) and was familiar with some of their nuttiness so in a way not something that I would automatically dismiss.
But still shocked one them may have gone that far.
Old 17 June 2016, 10:48 AM

I've seen FB posts by a group called Nottingham Casual Infidels praising this. That same group caused gridlock in the city centre last weekend with protests against immigration and Islam. I've never liked living here, but now I'm actually scared.
Old 19 June 2016, 08:23 AM

Icon07 Jo Cox murder suspect tells court his name is 'death to traitors, freedom for Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...h-of-mp-jo-cox
Quote:
Thomas Mair has given his name as "death to traitors, freedom for Britain" during his appearance in court charged with the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox.

Mair, 52, from Birstall, was formally charged at Westminster magistrates court on Saturday with the murder of Joanne Cox, grievous bodily harm, possession of a firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of an offensive weapon.
Brian
Old 19 June 2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Prosecutor David Cawthorne, from the counter-terrorism division of the Crown Prosecution Service, told the court that Cox had visited a primary school and care home on Thursday morning, before heading to the library with colleagues for a pre-arranged surgery with her constituents
Is the words in bold a spelling error or is it a British phrase that I am not familiar with?
Old 19 June 2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Is the words in bold a spelling error or is it a British phrase that I am not familiar with?
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...nglish/surgery
  • UK the regular period of time when a person can visit their Member of Parliament to ask advice:
    Our MP holds a weekly surgery on Friday mornings.
Old 19 June 2016, 05:30 PM

Indeed just about every MP hold regular surgeries in their consticuency. These are advertised well in advance in the local press as well as web-sites. They can be held in libraries, community centres, etc. Usually there are no security checks on people going to see their MP. Some MPs ask for appointments to be made, but most just go and see who turns up.
Old 20 June 2016, 04:36 PM

I am watching the tributes paid to Jo in the House of Commons today. Parliament was in recess until after the referendum, but it was recalled for today to enable Members of Parliament from all parties to pay her tributes. I am almost in tears hearing all the wonderful words said about that 'five foot bundle of energy'. She worked in some of the world's most dangerous places - Syria and other places in the Middle East - as she worked for Oxfam. To think that she then lost her life in a Yorkshire village, in an area where she grew up and was now its MP.

Just a few of the stories that especially moved me were:

A Conservative MP who served a different Yorkshire constituency said that they were appearing on a local television political programme. As soon as he walked into the make-up room she turned round and smiled and he knew they would get on. The programme's directors were disappointed at how well they got on!

A Labour whip said that she was one of the hardest MPs to whip (get to vote) for late evening votes. She would insist on being with her family - she has a husband, a son aged five and a daughter aged three. Their London home is a house boat on the Thames - no posh flat for them!

A few years ago, before becoming an MP, she was at a political meeting. One MP's wife was breast-feeding their daughter and feeling very self-conscious. Jo sat down next to her and began breast-feeding her son.

Soon after becoming an MP a new fish and chip shop was being opened in her constituency. She promised to give it her support, and sure enough on the day it opened she was there ordering fish and chips!

A Conservative MP said that he and she were the co-chairs of the all-party Friends of Syria committee. They 'invited themselves' to tea at the Russian ambassadors home. Within minutes this 'five foot bundle of energy' was berating the ambassador for what Russia was doing in Syria.

Her family are in the public gallery listening to all these tributes. One can only imagine how they must be feeling. The day before her murder she and her family had taken part in a flotilla down the Thames in support of the 'Remain' campaign. One of Jo's last tweets, made on the morning that she was killed, said that her children were asking her why they couldn't go on another flotilla. There was also a video of her in their inflatable boat with her family, clearly enjoying every moment.

The Labour MP who shares an office with her said that she often brought her family into the office. He would be given dinosaur pictures and have to read stories to the children.

All the MPs were wearing white roses - the symbol of Yorkshire. One seat was left empty. A white rose and a red rose, the symbol of the Labour party, was placed on it. The red rose is the symbol of Lancashire and the leader of the Liberal-Democrats, a Lancastrian, said it tells much of Jo that he was wearing a white rose!

The session ended with a round of applause - something I have never heard in the House of Commons. The MPs then processed to St. Margaret's church (next to Westminster Abbey) for a service of prayer and remembrance.

It was announced that on Wednesday - the day she would have turned 42 - there will be world-wide tributes to her - in London, New York, Berlin and in many other cities. Has any politician who has spent barely a year in her country's national Parliament and never held any 'important' office caused such reaction from around the world?

I never knew Jo, yet I feel I know her so well.

RIP.
Old 20 June 2016, 06:26 PM

I've just realised I was at college with her for a year (I didn't know her, though). She matriculated at Pembroke College, Cambridge in 1992, which means she'd have been in her second year when I was there as a graduate from 1993 - 1994. I have a vague memory of somebody of that name in the boat club...
Old 21 June 2016, 03:59 AM

Icon06

We watched the movie Suffragette on Saturday..

The final scene at Emily Davison's funeral really brought home to me and our daughters how much we haven't really evolved as a society when women are killed for being involved in politics
Old 21 June 2016, 09:24 PM

I am not sure if she was killed for being a woman, but it seems she was killed for her political views. I was going to say that this is worse, but being killed for either reason is just as bad. As Muir shot and stabbed Jo he was shouting things like 'Traitor. Put Britain first.' The latter statement is used by the 'Leave' campaign in the EU debate. Jo was a prominent campaigner for the 'Remain' camp.

Neither side is using her death for political gain - except that extreme right-winger, Nigel Farage. He has claimed that David Cameron has been making political capital out of her death. When questioned to give an example of this he just repeated his accusation.
Old 22 June 2016, 12:33 PM

And this delightful example of humanity
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7093441.html
Old 22 June 2016, 12:50 PM

Charming individual. Is 'tired and emotional' still an accepted euphemism for 'drunk'? Because it makes the apology sound even more insincere and a bit sarcastic.

I have seen several accusations of making political hay out of tragedy levelled at people suggesting that mental illness alone is not a satisfactory explanation. Apparently anything beyond 'he was just a random nutter' is political exploitation, regardless of the accused's links (which seem fairly well confirmed now) to neo-Nazi and pro-Apartheid causes.

There are some conspiracy whisperings too, along the same 'false flag' lines as theories contrived about recent US tragedies.
Old 22 June 2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl View Post
There are some conspiracy whisperings too, along the same 'false flag' lines as theories contrived about recent US tragedies.
Is it the one that involves a Swedish politician ( I forget her name atm) and how she was killed right before the referendum etc etc. It mentions Sweden having to switch to the Euro despite the fact they still use the Krona
Old 22 June 2016, 03:13 PM

I just read a mention of that one. The commenter claimed they weren't trying to argue anything, it was just 'interesting'.
Previously I'd seen some vague claims about a consistent Leave 'surge' in response to this and that, followed by a swing to Remain immediately after the attack and that the attacker was therefore some kind of plant.
Old 22 June 2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
A Conservative MP said that he and she were the co-chairs of the all-party Friends of Syria committee. They 'invited themselves' to tea at the Russian ambassadors home. Within minutes this 'five foot bundle of energy' was berating the ambassador for what Russia was doing in Syria.
Not to speak ill of the dead, but is this a good thing? Not too familiar with the ins and outs of UK politics, but isn't this the purview of the Foreign Secretary? While passion in politics can often be good, I'm not sure that this is a example of it that should be celebrated.