snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 08 June 2016, 02:28 PM

TGG got it already, but I'll confirm her answer on question one, which is as much an art/landmark question as a TV question, for the record. [Color="white]Portlandia[/color] is a statue above the entrance to the Portland building. (Which is also relatively famous as architectural works go).
Old 09 June 2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
1. What hit sketch comedy show is named for American's second largest hammered copper sculpture, which is located in front of its city's municipal services building?
30 rock

Quote:
2. What happened to U.S. park ranger Roy Sullivan a record seven times between 1942 and 1977?
struck by lightning

Quote:
3. In India, Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra are the names of the four what?
Castes

Quote:
4. In what city did the Atocha train bombings take place on March 11, 2004?
madrid

Quote:
5. As of 2010, what Lancashire-born singer had made only $12 in additional royalties from the Internet ubiquity of his big 1987 hit?
Rick Astley (sp?)

Quote:
6. What Swedish astronomer and physicist wrote the 1742 paper "Observations of Two Persistent Degrees on a Thermometer"?
Kelvin

Quote:
7. What unsual distinction is shared by all these trees, and no others? Cedar, cinchona, kapok, laurel, mahogany, maple, oak, olive, palm.
Old 14 June 2016, 10:46 AM

Hello, all. Let's get right at it with:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
1. What hit sketch comedy show is named for American's second largest hammered copper sculpture, which is located in front of its city's municipal services building?
This iconic Oregon sculpture, called Portlandia, is featured in the opening credits of every episode of the sketch show...Portlandia.

2. What happened to U.S. park ranger Roy Sullivan a record seven times between 1942 and 1977?
He has been struck by lightning more than any other human on record. (And probably off record too, if I had to guess.)

3. In India, Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra are the names of the four what?
The four castes (or "Varna") in their traditional social system. The Dalit, or untouchables, had no caste at all.

4. In what city did the Atocha train bombings take place on March 11, 2004?
Atocha is the largest railway station in Madrid, Spain.

5. As of 2010, what Lancashire-born singer had made only $12 in additional royalties from the Internet ubiquity of his big 1987 hit?
Because he only sang the song but did not write it, Rick Astley has only seen a pittance from the "rickrolling" phenomenon that made his song "Never Gonna Give You Up" one of the most popular Internet memes of all time.

6. What Swedish astronomer and physicist wrote the 1742 paper "Observations of Two Persistent Degrees on a Thermometer"?
Anders Celsius, or Anders Centigrade as I like to call him, was the temperature scale-obsessed Swede in questin.

7. What unsual distinction is shared by all these trees, and no others? Cedar, cinchona, kapok, laurel, mahogany, maple, oak, olive, palm.
Thesa are the trees that appear on world flags. I included flags that just had branches or leaves (hi, maple!) but apparently not seeds, since there's nutmeg on the flag of Grenada.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. On a regulation dartboard, what two colors are the spaces of the "double ring" and "triple ring"?

2. Of the 54 member nations of the African Union, Mauritius is the only one to have what religion as its predominant one?

3. What famous 1788 poem by Robert Burns takes its title from a Scottish idiom meaning "days gone by"?

4. Grazers are animals who feed on grass. What's the term for herbivores who eat bark, leaves, and stems?

5. Every March 25, Greece celebrates the 1821 start of its War of Independence against what nation?

6. A group of recruits called the "Sea Org," first formed as a naval force in 1967, still acts the leadership for what worldwide organization?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these hit Broadway musicals? The Book of Mormon, Bright Star, Hamilton, The Music Man, Newsies, Oklahoma!, On the Town, Pal Joey, Ragtime, Rent.

Enjoy!
Old 14 June 2016, 10:57 AM

1. On a regulation dartboard, what two colors are the spaces of the "double ring" and "triple ring"?

Black and white

2. Of the 54 member nations of the African Union, Mauritius is the only one to have what religion as its predominant one?

Hinduism

3. What famous 1788 poem by Robert Burns takes its title from a Scottish idiom meaning "days gone by"?

Auld lang syne, but I prefer An Ode to a Haggis

5. Every March 25, Greece celebrates the 1821 start of its War of Independence against what nation?

Turkey
Old 14 June 2016, 11:20 AM

Black and white, I believe.

Animism?

Auld lang sine

4. Grazers are animals who feed on grass. What's the term for herbivores who eat bark, leaves, and stems?

no idea.

Turkey or the Osman Empire

6. A group of recruits called the "Sea Org," first formed as a naval force in 1967, still acts the leadership for what worldwide organization?

Scientology
Old 14 June 2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these hit Broadway musicals? The Book of Mormon, Bright Star, Hamilton, The Music Man, Newsies, Oklahoma!, On the Town, Pal Joey, Ragtime, Rent.

Enjoy!
1. Can't recall, so I'll say green and red
2. Hindu?
3. Auld Lang Syne
4. Browsers
5. Turkey/Ottoman Empire
6. Greenpeace?
7. Betty White was in all of them!
Old 14 June 2016, 01:32 PM

1. Red and green.

2. Hinduism?

3. Auld Lang Syne.

4. Is it ruminants?

5. Turkey (or rather the Ottoman Empire).

6. Sounds like Greenpeace.

I don't know anything about musicals. I'm fairly sure they're not all performed naked or by puppets (or both) though...
Old 14 June 2016, 01:42 PM

The only one I know this week is #3.
Old 14 June 2016, 03:07 PM

Oh, go on TGG. Give us a clue.

I can take a punt on a few this week:

1. Red and Yellow?
2. Hindu?
3. Auld Lang Syne (Yes, one I know!)
4. Barkers?
5. Turkey/Ottoman Empire (Which is why Turkey will never become a member of the EU after many years of oppression - Greece will veto it.)
6. Greenpeace?
7. I can't even make an intelligent guess (so what's new?), so I'll say When the film of the musical was made the leading man/woman from the stage musical also played the lead in the film. (I've no idea if the modern ones have been made into films yet.)
Old 14 June 2016, 03:08 PM

New Zealand

Quote:

1. Black and white
2. Catholicism?
3. Auld Lang Syne
4. Browsing
5. Ottoman Empire
6. Scientologists
7. I don't know squat about musicals
Old 14 June 2016, 04:42 PM

#7: It doesn't say "only" these musicals, which increases the difficulty, perhaps . . . Many of them seem to have songs with cities in their titles:

The Book of Mormon = Sal Tlay Kacity (Salt Lake City)
Bright Star = no clue
Hamilton = The Battle of Yorktown
The Music Man = Right Here in River City
Newsies = who knowsies
Oklahoma! = (Everything's Up to Date in) Kansas City
On the Town = New York, New York (it's a helluva town)
Pal Joey = dunno
Ragtime = Something about coming to New York, right at the beginning?
Rent = Let's Open Up a Restaurant in Santa Fe
Old 15 June 2016, 06:31 AM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

don't know

Hinduism

Auld Lang Syne

don't know

Turkey

Church of Scientology

donīt know
Old 15 June 2016, 03:42 PM

pob14, you may be on to something:

The song you're thinking of in The Music Man is actually titled "Ya Got Trouble," but there is a song called "Gary, Indiana." Newsies has a song titled "Santa Fe." Pal Joey has "Chicago".Not sure about Ragtime, but I think there's a song that fits there, too.
Old 15 June 2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Good catch on Music Man. I know nothing of Pal Joey or Newsies so I'll take your word for those. I've been trying to come up with one for Ragtime without peeking, but I guess it's been too long since I've seen or heard it.
Old 16 June 2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Black and Red never played on a regulation dartboard so wild guess

Quote:
Quote:
Catholic
Quote:
Auld Lang Syne

Quote:
vegans. ok I got nothing

Quote:
Turkey

Quote:
Greenpeace

Quote:
Started off Broadway before popularity brought them there
Old 16 June 2016, 07:20 PM

firefighter_raven, your answer to no. 7 is far from being an unusual distinction - it applies to probably 99% of Broadway shows, as the pre-Broadway time is used to hone the script, staging and, if applicable, songs/music. There might be some one-person shows or other special circumstances, but otherwise it is almost unheard-of. It would be like an NFL player making the pro roster without having played in college.
Old 16 June 2016, 07:45 PM

what I know about Broadway plays (or most plays for that matter) would be a footnote in a program. What's really bad is I have an Aunt that was stage manager for the Omaha Playhouse, my wife was a stage manager for the school theater when she was in college and a cousin who went to school for theater and often worked as the stage manager. You think I would of learned something by now
Old 16 June 2016, 07:52 PM

Meh - my Dad worked on the Saturn V and the space shuttle programs, but that does not make me a rocket scientist!
Old 17 June 2016, 03:02 AM

Baseball

The only comment I'll be able to make this week, besides the gimme question number three, is that the dart board that hung in my room all my life (not that it ever got used) was blue and yellow. Whether that was regulation, I don't know.
Old 17 June 2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Can we go a bit further (I'm speculating here on limited knowledge) and say All have songs with cities in the titles where none of the action takes place in that city:

Music Man never is in Gary, Indiana.
Newsies is never in Santa Fe.
Oklahoma never goes to Kansas City.
Closed Thread