snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 13 December 2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
You would think, making sexist assumptions, men would pay less attention to a female voice....
Nah, you never know when the computer is going to offer to have sex with you.
Old 13 December 2017, 01:32 PM

Richard W., I think you may have answered, in part, why we tend to think of Siri and her voiced kindred as a person, or as a woman.

I think we by nature will tend to personify anything that is programmed to speak aloud to us. Long before any kind of personality was added, people were personifying their car navigation devices that included spoken directions. And regardless of whether voices were chosen based on pitch or gender stereotypes (or both) the effect of using women's voices is to make the personification female. I don't think many people could hear a female voice, or a voice speaking in generally the female range, that is speaking to them, and not perceive the speaker as in some sense a female personality.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:28 PM

Long before there were car navigation devices, people were personifying their cars. I think some people have been naming cars, patting them on the hood, etc. since, probably, about 20 minutes after cars were invented.

Humans personify things. It's just one of the things that we do.

I agree that if the thing has a female voice the personification is a lot more likely to be female.

-- There at least used to be an assumption by many that male voices were more authoritative.