snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 17 August 2017, 08:42 PM

Default "Medical" Marijuana

OK, first, let me state, without going into detail, that I support legalizing marijuana for both medical and recreational use, full stop. Our current laws are stupid. (Even where it's legal there are many weird conditions and regulations that vary from place to place - not to mention that it's still all banned by Federal law.)

But, I've never used the stuff myself. Maybe I will someday, maybe I won't, I don't know.

Anyway: yesterday, on Facebook, I posted that I'd been having some unusual (for me) stress issues. Friends made various recommendations (e.g., cutting the caffeine and sugar), but included among these were several voices urging that I try pot. Even after I kind of politely said that, while I might try it these days under some circumstances - say, if offered some at a party -- it wasn't something I would go out looking for, some people kept urging it.

OK, yes, there are some legitimate medial uses -- and we might well find many more, if controlled, scientific research on the subject weren't practically impossible, at least in this country -- though to me, the medical marijuana industry has undermined its own case pretty thoroughly, by the laughably obvious way it markets to recreational users ("prescriptions in five minutes by phone!").

Still -- to me, it felt a lot like urging a known non-drinker to try having a cocktail to deal with stress. You just don't do that. (Not as a piece of quasi-medical advice, anyway.)

It's kind of funny, really. People talk about teenagers facing "peer pressure" to try drugs. That never really happened to me -- I hung around in nerdy circles, where the peer pressure was if anything in the other direction; and on the occasions I was at gatherings where marijuana was used, nobody ever tried to talk me into trying it after I'd politely passed. I mean ever.

Now that I'm a middle-aged guy....go figure.
Old 17 August 2017, 08:56 PM

I see your point about advertising the ease of getting a medical marijuana card. Here in Michigan, medical use has been legal for a few years. It is so easy to get a 'card' that many people see all medical users as recreational users who are just exploiting a loophole.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:12 AM

Yeah, that's why I'd rather just legalize it for recreational use and be open about it. If alcohol is legal, I can't see any rational reason for marijuana not to be.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:21 AM

Because marijuana doesn't have the lobbying power that Big Tobacco and Big Alcohol do.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:39 AM

California is in an especially weird place with it being legal but not yet legally obtainable for recreational use, so you still have to get a fake prescription.

What you said about peer pressure resonated with me too; I never experienced it as a kid/teen/20-something and was convinced the whole notion was some BS antidrug propaganda. But lately I've met people whose approach to drinking and smoking is like my mom's approach to sweaters--looking at me leaves them feeling cold, so I need to put/tie one on to make them feel better.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:58 PM

I was talking a friend (J) last night about adult peer pressure. She is in her 40's and is going out to visit a friend (T), who is going to take her to a local Burning Man type thing. T has made up a long list of various drugs she wants J to try. J doesn't do drugs. She barely drinks, but T is REALLY pushing her to do all these drugs since they are all SO great! I mean, sure, you might have suicidal thoughts after taking this one, and this one you can't really be sure what is in it, and this one SOMETIMES causes people to feel like they are having a heart attack, but they are are all SO great...and T really can't see why J wants none of it, and all of T's friends are so looking forward to introducing J to these drugs.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:17 PM

Dear J:

You should probably start avoiding T.

Yes, recreational drugs should be legal; some of them for many people do no harm, some of them for some people do some good, and while some of them certainly do harm to many people, the harm done by making them illegal outweighs the harm done by the drugs.

No, you should never* push anybody to put anything into their body that they don't want to put into their body.

*Exceptions for such things as vaccinating small children.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:47 PM

I smoked weed as a teen. Hey, I was a 70's chick. However, asthma put a stop to that, though I didn't know why I couldn't tolerate the stuff until years later. Anyway, I don't drink at all I haven't in years and years. I still get people who try to get me to drink. Nope. Not happening.
Old 18 August 2017, 02:06 PM

If this state was not so caught up in Paralysis by Analysis, we'd have dispensaries by now I'm sure.
Anyway, DH's cousin smokes it recreationally, and when we visited him last year, said cousin suggested that DH try it for his back pain. DH is leary because, in his opinion, marijuana use for any reason is still stigmatized. Like EQ, I support legalization and think the current laws are beyond ridiculous. I have some friends that use it occasionally (and guess what--they're functioning adults!!) so I can get some if DH changes his mind. Me, I've never smoked anything in my life, and I'm not going to start now. But I won't stop g-you from smoking if that is your choice and desire.
Besides I've heard that marijuana increases your appetite and the last thing I need is something that increases my appetite.
Old 18 August 2017, 02:35 PM

I know a lot of people do use it successfully for pain. There are wide variations in the effect on different people, though. I tried it (long before the statute of limitations ran out, thanks, any law enforcement reading) for menstrual cramps once. Everything was fine until I made the mistake of thinking about the cramps -- at which point I had some of the worst cramps I've ever had. I never dared take marijuana again if I was in pain.
Old 18 August 2017, 03:25 PM

Icon108

It seems like the only sort of anecdotes allowed to pass for data without raising a whole lot of eyebrows are the ones that involve claims like "Marijuana is the *perfect antidote for all your pains!"

*I know, I know, that's kind of a straw man. But only just kind of.

I'm all for controlled studies on the value of medicinal marijuana. I don't even really care if it's legalized: were a referendum held tomorrow I'd vote yes just because I'm tired of hearing about awesome it is and I figure after a year or two of legalization all the hype and fanboy/girl craze will go away and we'll be treating it like Tobacco and alcohol use: as in, it's okay if you do, but it's best if you don't (and probably causes... something). Inasmuch as there may have been some "uncritical criticism" (if that makes sense) of the drug, there seems like a lot of uncritical praise now.

Sooooo... cite please?

ETA: Oh, yeah, and the adult peer pressure thing. That's not cool. I get the same with alcohol (which I don't drink because I generally don't like the taste and, if it's an acquired taste, I see no need to go out of my way to acquire it).

I know it's shocking that I'm a sailor (I do curse like a sailor, though), an Iraq war vet, and seeing a psychologist regularly, but I just don't drink (and it's probably just as well given all three of those things). I think it actually makes some people uncomfortable (or at least they imply it, perhaps as part of a deliberate coercive technique) to think that someone could possibly say "no thanks" to their addiction, or even their social habit. "I mean, what makes you think you're so high and mighty not drinking (or smoking or toking or doping)?" is what they seem to want to say, but normally just sort of imply.

Last edited by ASL; 18 August 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 18 August 2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Sooooo... cite please?
Cite for what? That tl knows a lot of people that use it successfully for pain? Or that it has wide variations on its effect? The latter is technically something citeable, but do we really need a cite that drug effects widely vary between people?
Old 18 August 2017, 04:24 PM

Icon103

I guess that was mostly a reply to attitudes expressed outside this thread, certainly not by TL, and maybe I'm porting some feelings I have over this issue from another forum I participate in that is also discussing it. It seems to have taken on wonder drug status to some. It was meant as a general criticism not directed at anyone specifically in this thread (although perhaps a few of the people mentioned in this thread apply).

So... a comment more than a reply, if that clarifies it.
Old 18 August 2017, 05:55 PM

I think this thread is pretty much people complaining about the same attitude you're complaining about, ASL.
Old 18 August 2017, 07:32 PM

ASL, here is a recent study showing weak evidence that it treats pain or PTSD.
Old 18 August 2017, 08:38 PM

I know people who tout it because "you can't get addicted to it/it's nonaddictive."

What they mean is that it's not like nicotine where there's a physical, molecular component you become addicted to. Unfortunately, you can form a psychological addiction to anything.

m "has seen too many episodes of 'My Strange Addiction'" bravo

m "dried couch cushions?????? dirty diapers?????" bravo
Old 18 August 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Unfortunately, you can form a psychological addiction to anything.
. . . clicking on one more link . . . one more link . . . one more link . . .
Old 18 August 2017, 11:36 PM

Judging from all the Facebook memes I've seen that claim that "Marijuana cures EVERYTHING!!1!1 and the only reason it's illegal is it would put Big Pharma out of business,"...
Old 19 August 2017, 12:29 AM

I really hate that panacea claim. There are things it works for (nausea, pain, and some seizure disorders come to mind off the bat), things it doesn't work for, and things we might find it works for with further testing. Most people seem to get by with few side effects, but some people absolutely should not use it.

I support full recreational legalization. I do not support doctors suggesting it to patients without solid proof it works for the condition. A doctor's words carry the weight of authority. I don't think they should recommend anything without evidence, even if the risk is small. I wouldn't support a doctor suggesting vitamin C for a cold. Not likely to hurt, but not gonna help.