snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherOf4 View Post

As parents we make lots of decisions, some of them are in hindsight dumb or even dangerous. How as a society do we decide which ones deserve punishment, and what an appropriate punishment is?
I can't speak to who deserves to be punished and what the punishment should be but I do think in many cases where a child is hurt or killed many of us react sympathetically to the parents when we perceive it as a "there but for the grace of God go I" kind of thing. That doesn't happen as much, if at all, when it's a case of leaving a loaded weapon where a child can access it. I suspect few of us are able to put ourselves in the shoes of someone who would do that.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:31 AM

I can't even think of a circumstance where a toddler gets ahold of a loaded, unlocked, gun that I would describe as merely "a mistake." That sets up a very powerful presumption. The circumstances I can think of off the top of my head range from ordinary negligence (not a crime) to recklessness, to intentionally malicious conduct. A person leaving a loaded, unlocked, gun unattended in a place where toddlers could possibly access it is not just a mistake.

It's a similar principle to the movement to have reporters say "crash," instead of "accident." Accident suggests a lack of culpability. It certainly rules out intentional criminal conduct.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:53 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
It's a similar principle to the movement to have reporters say "crash," instead of "accident." Accident suggests a lack of culpability. It certainly rules out intentional criminal conduct.
Have you been watching Hot Fuzz?
Old 24 May 2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I can't even think of a circumstance where a toddler gets ahold of a loaded, unlocked, gun that I would describe as merely "a mistake."
Especially in a daycare. WTH. To presume in this case that there was some circumstance under which it could have been merely a mistake is being unreasonable. To refer to my previous analogy, it's like after a fatal accident we see the drunken driver stumbling out of a vehicle with a bottle of vodka in hand and someone says, "Well, we don't know... let's wait and see. It depends on the circumstances." No. There aren't any circumstances under which a loaded handgun can walk itself into a daycare and put itself within reach of a child. They're just not that mobile on their own.
Old 24 May 2017, 02:31 AM

Mouse

Quote:
I can't even think of a circumstance where a toddler gets ahold of a loaded, unlocked, gun that I would describe as merely "a mistake." That sets up a very powerful presumption. The circumstances I can think of off the top of my head range from ordinary negligence (not a crime) to recklessness, to intentionally malicious conduct. A person leaving a loaded, unlocked, gun unattended in a place where toddlers could possibly access it is not just a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Especially in a daycare. WTH. To presume in this case that there was some circumstance under which it could have been merely a mistake is being unreasonable. To refer to my previous analogy, it's like after a fatal accident we see the drunken driver stumbling out of a vehicle with a bottle of vodka in hand and someone says, "Well, we don't know... let's wait and see. It depends on the circumstances." No. There aren't any circumstances under which a loaded handgun can walk itself into a daycare and put itself within reach of a child. They're just not that mobile on their own.
I wish I could say something more substantial than "This. So very This," because both of you are so on point. There are tons of ways these kind of tragedies can be prevented. Even if for some reason, the owners are opposed to gun safes and trigger locks, they could do something like, I don't know, keep the Nfbsking thing unloaded!
Old 24 May 2017, 01:30 PM

Gun storage should be like gun handling rules, multiple layers, each one sufficient by itself. That way, the inevitable slip up on one rule will be covered by another. Whenever I had to store a gun someplace a child might be, it was unloaded, trigger locked, placed up high and partially disassembled.
Old 27 May 2017, 03:50 AM

Do not ask your ex-girlfriend, who you broke up with a week ago, to borrow money to buy condoms to use with another girl. I mean, WTF?
Old 27 May 2017, 05:08 PM

You just feel down and seriously injured yourself yesterday. If you try to get up to do anything other than go to the bathroom today, I'm going to staple your clothes to that chair! The whole reason I'm here is to do things like clean up when your cat gets sick on the carpet. Don't get up to take care of it yourself. Tell me that she's done so so that I can actually do my freaking job!
Old 27 May 2017, 10:40 PM

Facebook

Those soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines/coast guardsmen you're saying RIP/rest easy/etc. to? They can't hear you. They also can't read your comments on Facebook. But I can. And I'm having a hard time parsing it. Maybe my comment would fit better under "[open] letters you wish you could send."

Last edited by ASL; 27 May 2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:41 PM

[Person] had her SSN stolen because they're a ditz who fell for an obvious scam. We already know this is true and not saying it doesn't make it less true. There's no need to explore "alternative" means that their SSN might have been stolen because we already know the exact sequence of events. It isn't "impolite" to point out that it was an extremely foolish action on their part.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:49 PM

Driver

But how do you know someone didn't coincidentally break into her employer's files and steal her SSN? It's at least worth looking into... As an "alternative."
Old 28 May 2017, 08:29 PM

Let's just say that it's part of a larger pattern of behavior on that person's part.
Old 28 May 2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Those soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines/coast guardsmen you're saying RIP/rest easy/etc. to? They can't hear you. They also can't read your comments on Facebook. But I can. And I'm having a hard time parsing it. Maybe my comment would fit better under "[open] letters you wish you could send."
Although I generally don't post similar comments in social media, I've always assumed that they were to be taken in the same style as comment books/cards often found at wakes and funerals: the messages aren't for the deceased, but for the surviving friends and family members. It seems as if commemorating a person's life with a story, a memory, or just a comment where their loved ones can see it should work just as well online as on paper as well as they're well-intended.
Old 28 May 2017, 09:42 PM

To me it's similar to why I attend a funeral. Of course the deceased person is unaware that I am there. I go to make my final goodbye or to show the family that I care. In terms of Remembrance Day or Memorial day or any other day when we are honouring our war dead I'd far rather see someone take the time to acknowledge why that day exists than to ignore it. I can remember when I was a child that Remembrance Day (using the Canadian example) wasn't really much of a deal, now there is a lot more attention paid to the day and what it means. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Old 28 May 2017, 11:13 PM

Saying "I like your hair" to a woman you don't know is okay. Going on to say "I love [that color/type of] hair" and "My wife [has that color/type of hair] and she drives me crazy" is not. It's creepy.

Apologizing for your inappropriate comments is good. Adding "I've been drinking wine all night" is not necessary or helpful.
Old 28 May 2017, 11:50 PM

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Although I generally don't post similar comments in social media, I've always assumed that they were to be taken in the same style as comment books/cards often found at wakes and funerals: the messages aren't for the deceased, but for the surviving friends and family members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
To me it's similar to why I attend a funeral. Of course the deceased person is unaware that I am there. I go to make my final goodbye or to show the family that I care.
What gets me is I am seeing it in places where I can't imagine family members going to read the comments. Like, say, message boards. Or the comments sections of (non-hometown) news articles. It's like... dead letters. We're not communicating, we're writing to the dead and we don't seem to even realize it as such. Most veterans seem troubled by the lack of a public show of mourning on Memorial Day (as in "how dare people go on about their lives in this great country of ours!"). I'm actually most troubled by the empty displays of mourning. It's like Memorial Day has become its own cenotaph. We don't even know who we're memorializing. At least backyard barbecues and weekends at the beach for the living sort of maybe stand for what they died for?

What some anti-BBQ/beach-types seem to want is more akin to... death worship. I guess I just sort of think that those of us who have someone to remember don't need to be reminded (I don't need a special day to think of them, it's pretty much a daily thing) and everyone else might as well just go on living.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:29 PM

No

It's over Tiger. You've been at the top of the heap for a good 20 years now, but it's over. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but quit trying to make a comeback and move onto something else such as announcing or mentoring up and coming golfers.
C'mon, you're 41 and take from anyone who has been there: your 40s in when things that you ignored in your 20s and 30s start creeping up on you, and your body has ways of letting you know that you're not so young anymore. Take responsibility for your actions, get help if needed and move on into something new before you completely embarrass yourself.
Old 30 May 2017, 01:44 PM

Whalephant

If you travel a lot but are always forgetting your only charger at home maybe you should start keeping an extra one in your luggage.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:20 AM

Shout

To Mayor Tom Wheeler: Hate speech is covered under the First Amendment whether you like it or not.

These scum suckers can have their rally, but no one is forced to attend it.
Old 31 May 2017, 07:38 PM

Multiple from the same incident. Writing this will help me let it go, so TYIA. Warning- many of you might think we're both nuts:

-Laughing at the absurdity of the convoluted "theory" you heard from Rush or whomever is not the same as dismissing you or your ideas. Don't take it personally.

-Accepting the premise the the DNC fixed the primaries for purpose of discussion: A simple explanation is that the leadership liked her better, thought she would be a better president, thought she would win in November and Bernie maybe not, for political reasons does not want their party in general to be associated as that left-wing, etc. A convoluted conspiracy involving they "owed her" for standing by Bill in 1998 and payed up in 2016 is laughable. Sorry. (When you started I thought it would be that they "owed her" for standing down at the end in 2008. That is at least on the same planet as plausible.)

-A moderate sometimes conservative type who when pushed or pulled into a discussion points out out that not everything Rush says is accurate (he's an entertainer for goodness sake) or that not everything the current president is the greatest ever is not necessarily a "brain-dead liberal," or a highly intelligent and functioning liberal for that matter.

-I don't need to "accept everything the liberal media says" to tell me the current president is a nut and unfit for the office. His own words and Tweets are more than enough.

-What do Obama, (Bill) Clinton, and JFK(!!!) have to do with the above?

-FTR, not that it matters, I did not vote for the first two, and the latter was elected almost a decade before I was born.

-Calling a moderate, sometimes conservativish person "Obamite" is at worst inaccurate, but it is not an insult.

-Calling a moderate, sometimes conservativish person "Bernie" is at worst laughably inaccurate, but it is not an insult.

-Saying "you insulted 'my president'" makes it sound like the cult it is becoming.

-Bottom line: I (maybe more than my liberal friends) accept that he was elected and is the president. It's time that you who are over the moon about it accept it too.
Closed Thread