snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 03 August 2016, 03:37 PM

Bang Head I need out of this house!

I am keeping this problem from my mother until it is solved*, but I need to rant or I will explode.

Since I first moved in, I knew this place was.... let's say below average housing standards. But it was mostly peaceful, so I tolerated the fact that when I moved in every wall had the drywall removed from one side, so the electricians could rewire the whole house. I tolerated having extension cords for power, and only cold water. I was ok with showering and cooking next door. The landlord put me in charge, and I kept rowdy or unpleasant people out.

Then the landlord started bringing in people and making it impossible for me to kick them out, giving me no effective lever to enforce rules. The house went downhill, with a bunch of meth heads hanging around stealing things.

Now, during all this beginning phase, the house next door had a minor drug problem*. Recently, that house was closed down. The landlord brought a couple of the biggest druggies over here, and with them came the others, the thieves, and a hooker**. One of the thief/ junkies stole 100$ from me not long ago. He put a gun in another tenant's face. I told the landlord I wanted him out, off the property. He hemmed and hated and said since he had moved one of the druggies out, he was sure the thief would lose interest in coming over. He agreed he did not want him there.

He came over one night, when the person he was trying to see was gone. I confronted him and told him to leave. He resisted, and was standing on the steps holding the metal outside door so I couldn't lock it. I kicked him hard in the chest, and he grabbed me and yanked me down the stairs. I have a picture of what it looked like that night, and two days later.
[IMG] photo 20160803_091047_zpsbds0gvoj.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20160726_001926_zpsbrjsvizg.jpg[/IMG]

North is this all the fun. People shoot up in my back porch, and leave used needles around on the ground. Things have been stolen from my room. The other night I was nearly shot, although admittedly that had nothing to do with the house. I was just sitting out front talking when someone got shot up the street. It was about half a block away, close enough to see muzzle flashes. What's more, stray bullets hit the house, about 10 to 15 horizontal feet from me. That means if the shooter had changed his aim just a tiny bit, maybe a quarter inch....

The house has never been legal to rent out. It is on a builders permit. But I was mostly ok with that, because we were so laid back. Now attention will be drawn to the house, so no one can live here.

I am trying to get into a new place. It is legal and empty, so automatically a huge step up. We have to convince the owner to rent it, and come up with moving fees. I am thinking about recording/taking pictures of the extension cords, needles, roaches, and the rest, and starting up a Gofundme to move. I cannot live here any more. I am done. I am losing weight, getting sick, getting angry and depressed, all because of the stress. There are screaming fights most nights, and I had to take a chain away from someone once. I can't keep doing this.

* In the same way that Keith Richards has a minor drug problem.

** Actually, the hooker was actually the one he moved in, with others attached. I think they must pray together... she certainly spends a lot of time on her knees with him.

*She can't do anything to help, and it would only make her worry.
Old 04 August 2016, 02:13 AM

Have you contacted any authorities or would doing so endanger you?
Old 04 August 2016, 02:58 AM

I've lived in some dodgy sharehouses but nothing that came anywhere near that.

The only reason you haven't ended up in ER or worse before now is just sheer luck, have you considered emergency accommodation? If you go couchsurfing at friends' houses for a month or two will that effect your chances of getting a new house? Putting all your furniture into storage for a few months might be a pain but it'd be less painful than bullets.
Old 04 August 2016, 03:22 AM

It sounds to me as if the landlord's expecting you to do the job of several police officers: with neither the authority, nor the training, nor the equipment, nor the backup.

This is not a remotely reasonable thing to expect. I would get yourself out of there as fast as possible. I agree with GM: do you know anyone who would take you in?
Old 04 August 2016, 04:30 AM

One possible friend who could help, but he currently has someone staying over. I went to the homeless liason officer for the police, and she had few ideas. There are shelters, but they don't take pets and are not always safe themselves. I have thought about squatting... it would be safer and have nearly as many amenities.

I didn't pay rent this month or last month. I feel guilty about it, but I also feel that I should not have to pay to live here.

The overloaded extention cords just tripped the breakers twice as I was writing this reply. This is ridiculous.
Old 04 August 2016, 04:33 AM

Oh, and TL, I am police, psychiatrist, food provider for the alcoholic who spends his money on drink instead (too southern to let anyone starve), general housekeeping, Internet technologies, and half a dozen other things. For this I get a whopping 20 bucks off my rent.
Old 04 August 2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I am thinking about recording/taking pictures of the extension cords, needles, roaches, and the rest
You should definitely do this, by the way. Having a record of the unlivable/illegal housing situation might come in REALLY handy if somehow any of this ends up in court, or you need to go before a claims court to get your bond back, or something happens in the house which gets the police involved. Also there's a better than average chance that your computer/phone/camera will be stolen at some point so don't forget to upload the photos to photobucket or a Facebook album only you can see!

Quote:
Oh, and TL, I am police, psychiatrist, food provider for the alcoholic who spends his money on drink instead (too southern to let anyone starve), general housekeeping, Internet technologies, and half a dozen other things. For this I get a whopping 20 bucks off my rent.
You probably don't need me to point out that you're enabling the situation but I'm gonna do it anyway.
Old 04 August 2016, 06:20 AM

Geminilee, I agree you need to get yourself somewhere safe. If you set up a gofundme and link it here, I will contribute.
Old 04 August 2016, 07:46 AM

GM, I have no deposit (this isn't that kind of place).

I know I am enabling, but from my point of view, someone had to do it and I knew no one else would. I wasn't willing to live in a house where that was just let slide. I did it to make my environment better.
I have never set up a Gofundme thing, but I think I can figure it out if I go to the library and use the computer there. Heck, I think I still have a PayPal account somewhere.

The only worry is that I will pretty much need to link it to Facebook to get exposure, and there goes keeping this from mom. Hopefully she won't take it bad, but I am pretty sure that is a false hope. I'd be freaked if she lived like this...
Old 04 August 2016, 11:41 AM

Geminilee, is there someone who could look after your pet(s) while you get your housing situation straightened out? Perhaps a fostering program through the local animal shelter, or a trusted friend?
Old 04 August 2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't pay rent this month or last month. I feel guilty about it.
And the landlord is providing you what? A roof? Clearly not electricity, or water, or safety.

Not only are you not being provided a safe place to live, you're being expected to deliberately put yourself in extra danger.

You are not the one who needs to feel guilty here. There are reasons -- good reasons -- why what your landlord is doing is illegal.
Old 05 August 2016, 07:01 AM

If the desire to shield Mom from your living situation is keeping you from soliciting help, there may be options. You can make any individual post on Facebook invisible to certain people, including your mom and anyone you think would tell your mom. That gray button below the space for you to type, that should say "Friends," because all your posts should by default be set to friends only, but that might say "Public" if you weren't paying attention last time you got Zuckerberged, has a drop-down menu you can use to customize the audience for the post.
Old 05 August 2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
And the landlord is providing you what? A roof? Clearly not electricity, or water, or safety.

Sounds like all the landlord is providing you with is a whole lotta stress!
I would start keeping a journal of everything that's been going on and contact the proper authorities. Get names/numbers etc. If none of that works, you can always go to the local media. If they interview you, you can ask that your face not be shown or your real name not given.
Old 15 August 2016, 04:20 AM

Are you OK? It's been a minute since we heard from you.
Old 15 August 2016, 08:09 AM

I am ok, sorry. No Internet for a couple weeks.

I am in the same situation still. Actually, I am not; the water is off.and has been for most of a.week. It is unlikely to be turned back on soon, due to the whole builder's permit thing. I am going to my doctors tomorrow, and someone told me they may be able to help me get a caseworker. If not another friend may. The house I was hoping to move into fell through, and I sort of lost momentum due to depression. I haven't been able to find a place I can afford, even if I can get help with the initial startup costs to move; everything is at least 100 over what I can realistically pay.

If I did not have the animals, I swear I would find a restaurant that would let me charge my chair, and move to the French Quarter. I wouldn't be much worse off, and no one would expect me to pay for the privilege.
Old 15 August 2016, 01:38 PM

If your doctor can't get you a caseworker, can you call Social Services?
Old 27 August 2016, 10:51 AM

I am afraid to write this, in case I jinx it.

I think I found a place! It is cheap enough, nearby, the other tenant is cool. I am alternating between giddy happiness that i am getting out, and near paralyzing fear that something will go wrong.
Old 27 August 2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I think I found a place!
Oh dang! I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you and everything else I can cross without doing myself an injury!
Old 27 August 2016, 06:57 PM

Hope! hope! hope! please come through for geminilee, hope!
Old 27 August 2016, 09:42 PM

Sending out new-apartment vibes!