snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 October 2018, 01:52 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This morning I saw an early 1980s Oldsmobile 88 coupe, in basically like-new condition (at least cosmetically), similar to the one featured in this blog post. I've probably mentioned it before, but it seems like cars from the 1980s are now beginning to be viewed as "classics". I do have to admit that big, two-door cars like that are definitely a thing of the past.
They've also become popular for use in demolition derbies.

Today, I pulled into the Superamerica station I normally use, and saw someone fueling a Bently. Seemed a bit incongruous to me, but hey, if you need gas, you need gas.
Old 10 October 2018, 05:56 PM

This morning while driving my usual route through my neighborhood out to the main arterial street, I noticed something that isn't normally there -- the unmistakable tail fins of a 1957 Chevy Bel Air peeking out from next to another car in someone's driveway. I'm guessing it's usually hidden away in a garage but was out this morning for some reason.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've probably mentioned it before, but it seems like cars from the 1980s are now beginning to be viewed as "classics". I do have to admit that big, two-door cars like that are definitely a thing of the past.
The pony car segment is still alive (i.e. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) but I'd agree the truly big muscle cars are either extinct or they've morphed into sporty four door sedans.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:24 AM

Speaking of 80s muscle cars, I saw a Grand National in a parking lot today.
Old 11 October 2018, 03:17 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
The pony car segment is still alive (i.e. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) but I'd agree the truly big muscle cars are either extinct or they've morphed into sporty four door sedans.
The Dodge Charger, with the right options, could be considered a big muscle car. For a time, Chevy made the SS, a high performance sedan based on a platform originally done by Holden in Australia, but they ended production a couple of years ago. As you noted, both were 4 door sedans.

Ford had/has nothing that's comparable. They're putting all of their high performance eggs into the Mustang basket.

All of the big three do offer pickups that, again with the right options, have a lot of grunt. They also devour gasoline at a shocking rate.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:25 PM

A lime-green original Beetle. (Again, I realised I don't see them much any more).
Old 11 October 2018, 03:15 PM

There are several cars that I see on an almost daily basis so I don't think of them as unusual. These are a couple of late 40s pickups, 2 air cooled Beatles circa 1965 and an early 80s Porsche Carrera. All are used daily by people living in my section of town.
Old 11 October 2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
The Dodge Charger, with the right options, could be considered a big muscle car. For a time, Chevy made the SS, a high performance sedan based on a platform originally done by Holden in Australia, but they ended production a couple of years ago. As you noted, both were 4 door sedans.
I did think of the Charger in particular while writing that post. Also the Impala SS, which the Chevy SS replaced. Hmm... there was the revived GTO (another re-badged Holden) that was 2 doors, but it only sold for 3 years.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:27 PM

Perhaps not unusual in the US but a (I think) Seventh Generation Ford F150 pickup pulled up along side me today. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series

I donít think I have ever seen one outside of hollywood movies before!

It was delightfully shabby and rattly and the huge engine was burbling away in it drinking fuel like it was going out of fashion!

Old 11 October 2018, 11:43 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Perhaps not unusual in the US but a (I think) Seventh Generation Ford F150 pickup pulled up along side me today.
My BIL owns one of those. He inherited it from his late Dad. It's in relatively good shape, and runs well.
Old 12 October 2018, 06:13 PM

I drive one, well, it's an F350 (1 ton version versus the 1/2 ton F150). It's a 1993 model I bought new.
Old 12 October 2018, 10:15 PM

Do trailers count? Saw an Airstream not too long ago.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:26 AM

Last night I saw a Lamborghini convertible about half a mile from my house. It looked fairly new and I'm not that knowledgeable about their current models, so all I can saw is that it was a Lamborghini, because I saw the nameplate.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:59 AM

France

A silver Chevrolet SSR parked in a street nearby :

We don't see a lot of them in France.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:33 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
Do trailers count? Saw an Airstream not too long ago.
The trouble with Airstream is that you can't tell how old they are, and they are still in production. Certainly if they're uncommon where you are, they're worth commenting on.

Seaboe
Old 15 October 2018, 04:41 PM

Went to a car show this weekend and saw a vehicle I want. Probably can't afford it now but still want it. It is a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon. I have always wanted a vehicle from the year of my birth but either I think they are ugly or way too expensive.
Old 18 October 2018, 01:38 AM

Driver

Spotted a Tesla Model S today on my way to work. They're still rare enough up here for me to notice them.
Old 18 October 2018, 03:35 PM

Based on the front, I saw a 1966 Chevrolet Corvette like this one on the way to work. Same color, but it didn't have the GT stripe down the center.
Old 18 October 2018, 05:29 PM

I saw a Renault Medallion on the way to work today. The Medallion was a version of the Renault 21 that was sold through AMC dealerships in the US just prior to AMC's merger with Chrysler, at which point it was renamed the Eagle Medallion, until Chrysler dropped the model just two years later. Most likely Chrysler only continued offering the model as long as they did due to contractual obligations with Renault.

I was honestly way, way more excited about seeing this Renault than I am about seeing exotic supercars or classic muscle cars or what have you. I wouldn't be surprised if this car was actually more rare in the US than those latter categories. It was, I think, only sold here under the Renault brand for a single year (the one I saw had Renault badges, not Eagle), I don't think they sold all that well when they were new, and they're not really the sort of car people tend to preserve. I don't think I've ever actually seen another one on the road before.
Old 18 October 2018, 07:06 PM

I saw a pretty blue Porsche Carrera.