snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 September 2018, 12:16 PM

Yesterday I saw a parked van with a little figure on the top. Turned out it was a local locksmith. I wish I could have gotten a better look at it, but the light had changed.
Old 05 September 2018, 07:04 PM

I saw another Maserati this morning. This one had two doors and was more sporty looking, so I guess it must have been a GranTurismo. While it's not a bad looking car by any means, it's not all that distinctive looking as high end sports cars go. Honestly if it weren't for the big Maserati emblem in the middle of the grille I would have mistaken it for a Jaguar F-Type, which is what I thought it was at first before I noticed the emblem.
Old 05 September 2018, 09:41 PM

Saw a beautifully restored early 50s Chevrolet 3100 pickup. It looked all original but not sure as I did not have time to talk to the owner.
Old 06 September 2018, 03:12 PM

Glasses

I spent yesterday looking through old company newspapers from the 1950s, and I saw a lot of cool cars (none of which were identified, of course, since they were just everyday average cars at the time the pictures were taken).

Seaboe
Old 06 September 2018, 10:19 PM

Went to the “Over The Road” stalls at the Goodwood Revival today (which is sort of cheating) but saw a plethora of gobsmacking cars including a nest of Cobras!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFb6nfcZNkoGVYr86

Can’t get the links to work! try the above URL for a shared album.

Last edited by Hans Off; 06 September 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06 September 2018, 11:49 PM

I am immensely jealous of you now.
Old 07 September 2018, 09:28 AM

I've got to get to one of those events at Goodwood myself one of these years. I've been wanting to go to the Festival of Speed almost since it started up in the mid-90s but have never managed it!

(eta) I think I did go to a car show there once as a child - or possibly it was another event with a small car show attached. I remember being in the Ferrari tent with my mum and they had a 250 GTO and something like a P4, which weren't the ones I wanted to see at the time (although the P4 is pretty impressive, if that's what it was) but looking back, must have been one of the more expensive rooms full of cars I've ever been in. I think that was at Goodwood House but before Lord March started doing these regular events.
Old 07 September 2018, 02:43 PM

It is superb. I think there are a few tickets left for Sunday.

Were off tomorrow for the main event, Ill be dressing up in tweed with BRIGHT RED TROUSERS and Mrs Hans is going as an SOE operative complete with home made gas mask box!

If you look on the Bonhams website there is an auction there wich includes a proper original AC Cobra that has an estimate of 1.2 to 1.5 Million!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24878/lot/223/

We are actually interested in this 1945 Willis Jeep that is listed there but it will go for stupid money!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24878/lot/203/
Old 07 September 2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
... a proper original AC Cobra that has an estimate of 1.2 to 1.5 Million!
At least it goes into detail as to what's meant by that!

Quote:
The car offered here, chassis number 'CSX 2430', is a one of the rarest of all Cobras: a 'Factory-Prepared Competition Car', the latter being the designation of cars prepared to full-race specification by Shelby for the use of favoured privateers, in this case 'Gentleman' Tom Payne. Taken together with the ultimate 'Cobra Factory Team Cars' raced by Shelby American, only 32 of these ultra-desirable works specials were made.
I doubt the one I saw in Selsey would have been worth that much...
Old 07 September 2018, 02:57 PM

Our 1946 Willys CJ2 will never be worth that much money.
Old 11 September 2018, 11:35 PM

Saw a 65/66 Corvair convertible in traffic this afternoon. Looked a good daily driver, not a show car.
Old 11 September 2018, 11:57 PM

Visited the Pontiac/Oakland museum while in Pontiac, Illinois last Friday. If you're ever in the area, it's worth a visit. A very nice museum. Your typical county seat, with a county courthouse in the middle, surrounded by various stores and such that all face it.
Old 12 September 2018, 11:43 AM

I forgot to look up the number plate to confirm the make of the car I saw on Monday, but it was something American, probably from the 1970s and unusual here. It was cream-coloured, fairly low to the ground but long and rectangular and convertible. (The sort that you could imagine being turned into a lowrider if it was in the right place, but probably not in the UK - this one wasn't, anyway). It might have been a Buick. (eta) It was the sort with the big round chrome protuberance with the badge on it on the back - I should know what that means but can't remember at the moment.

(The guy who owns one of our local tattoo parlours used to have an old Buick I think; I used to know what it was when I worked in town and it was always parked outside his shop, but I've forgotten. His was grey and hard-topped, though, and not the same model as the other I saw, even if it was the same make).
Old 12 September 2018, 02:35 PM

Thought I posted this yesterday. Any way, I saw a 65/66 Corvair convertible in traffic. It looked like a nice daily driver, not a show car.
Old 12 September 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

RichardM, you did! post #291.

RichardW, The two most famous brands of American cars with shields (coats of arms type) are Buick and Cadillac.

I haven't been looking at cars lately as traffic has been good. I'm taking a road trip on Saturday so maybe that will change.

Seaboe
Old 12 September 2018, 04:17 PM

It wasn't a Cadillac - I think I'd have recognised one of those.

(eta) Or at least, I don't think it was... some of the 1970s models do look a bit more like it, but this didn't look as much like a luxury model as I'd have expected from a Cadillac. But the Buicks I've found pictures of don't have the round thing on the back. The Cadillacs don't either really, but they do at least have a round badge.

I should know what make of car it is that has this round thing as I've seen them before on other models; it's chrome and on the back of the boot / trunk and sticks out quite a long way, in the position where you'd expect the keyhole or catch on a car that age. (It might incorporate them). But it's mostly decorative and has some sort of badge on it too, I think.

(another eta) Even some of the Chryslers that age have a similar round badge, but none of them quite match what I'm thinking of.

Last edited by Richard W; 12 September 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12 September 2018, 08:01 PM

Glasses

Aha! I think you might be seeing a Lincoln, Richard. Is the shape of the chrome thing sort of like the dark thing on the back of this one?

That's a Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

Seaboe
Old 12 September 2018, 10:05 PM

Hmm, nice try, and it's the right shape in general but it wasn't one of them! The round thing that I'm failing to describe well is quite small (eta - well, smaller than that, not the size of a spare wheel) and metallic. I think it was possibly styled to play off the chrome and styling on the tail lights (which I want to say were also round, but I'm not sure) - it looked a bit like a third light in the middle. The car wasn't old enough to have fins though, and it was the same general style as that Lincoln continental so probably about the same age.
Old 12 September 2018, 10:26 PM

An Imperial, perhaps? Often erroneously called a "Chrysler Imperial", Imperial was technically marketed as separate make from Chrysler from the mid-1950s to the early-1980s. It was supposed to be their luxury make to compete with Cadillac and Lincoln. Their mid to late 1960s cars had a "round thing" that sounds kind of like what you describe.

ETA: From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1961, Chrysler scored a coup by hiring Engel away from Ford, where he had designed the 1961 Lincoln Continental.
So it's not all that surprising that the Imperial and the Continental have similar styling cues.

ETA2: And given the preoccupation with space and rockets in the 1960s, I think the round thing was intended to evoke the image of a jet exhaust.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 12 September 2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:44 AM

Saw a Bentley Continental. And not long after a Mini Moke. Talk about opposites