snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 08 August 2018, 03:07 PM

Glasses

I took the time to look at the Caddy today. It's a Brougham, early 90s. Looks a lot like this one (same color).

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I took the time to look at the Caddy today. It's a Brougham, early 90s. Looks a lot like this one (same color).

Seaboe
The car pictured there is early 1980s, not 90s. Was that a typo? And "Brougham" was a trim level/option package, not a model in and of itself. That's a Sedan de Ville. Lots of different makes offered a Brougham trim package in the 1970s and 80s, typically the most "luxurious" version of the car. A whole history of the Brougham here.
Old 08 August 2018, 07:23 PM

Glasses

Well, the actual car was more rounded (in a very subtle way) than the one in the picture. I'll take a look again tomorrow, if I have time (the owner clearly works at the facility where I park), and see if it says anything else.

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2018, 07:42 PM

Then maybe it was a Cadillac Fleetwood you saw then. IIRC that was the one model that maintained the more "traditional" big Cadillac look and didn't switch over to the much disliked downsized front wheel drive platform in the mid 1980s.

ETA: Ok, upon researching the Fleetwood, I learned that there actually was a car called the Cadillac Brougham. Apparently it was called "Fleetwood Brougham" pre-1987, then they dropped the Fleetwood name and the car was just called "Brougham" from 1987-92, then they changed the name back to Fleetwood for 1993-96. And for those last few years there was a Brougham option package available, so you could once again get a "Fleetwood Brougham".

Last edited by WildaBeast; 08 August 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:45 PM

Too late to edit again, but I just realized that several months ago I posted in the "odd things" thread that I had seen what at the time I thought was an early 1980s Sedan de Ville that someone had modified to have composite headlights, which I thought was an odd thing to do. I just realized that car was actually an early 1990s Cadillac Brougham, a car I didn't realize existed until today.

I believe we have just witnessed the Dunning-Kruger effect in action.
Old 09 August 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Another rally car, parked on the street outside the lot where the first is up on blocks. This one looks like an original, not a mock-up. It's a BMW of some sort, old enough to have collector plates. It says DirtFish on it, and has an old-style Shell sticker, and then also Castrol, Weber, Atc brakes, Getrag gietriebe, Bilstein, Pirelli, Hella, NGK, and Mellier (? I can't read that one very well). Yes, I took a picture so I could list the stickers.

Seaboe
Old 09 August 2018, 05:44 PM

That one I can help you with. DirtFish is a rally school near you. See www.dirtfish.com
Old 09 August 2018, 07:28 PM

Glasses

Yeah, I looked it up. Unfortunately, all the pictures of BMWs at DirtFish were much more modern. And the license plate is just a number, so it's difficult to look up, too (an added level of difficulty is that the number is also the zip code for some town down in California).

And since I know absolutely nothing about BMWs, I can't even make a guess as to how old the car is.

Seaboe
Old 10 August 2018, 02:07 AM

Is there a number on the car and either the logo/words of the sanctioning organization. That would be NASA Rally Sport or American Rally Association or Rally America or even SCCA.
Old 10 August 2018, 03:19 PM

Glasses

Not that I can read in either of my pictures. There's a sticker I missed that says NGK, with a picture of something that looks vaguely like a muffler. It also says either 2002 or 20.02 on the trunk in those metal numbers that are usually brand or model badges.

Seaboe
Old 10 August 2018, 03:37 PM

That is a BMW 2002. See https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, the car number I was referring to would be a big one on the side of the doors.

ETA: PM sent about possible car owner.

Last edited by RichardM; 10 August 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10 August 2018, 04:57 PM

I saw a white, well-preserved 1964 or '65 Ford Thunderbird. If I pass it again today, I may be able to tell which of the two based on minor styling changes. I know it's not a '66 because the taillights were still separate.

Looking up some of the differences, I learned there was a popular "town landau" version, which led me to looking up the exact meanings of landau and then, apropos to the thread, brougham. I knew they were carriages, but could not remember the exact meanings.

Landau is a kind of convertible carriage that can be fully enclosed, or partly covered by a soft top, or have the top folded down so it's fully open. On the Thunderbird, it designated a version with a vinyl hardtop with chrome S bars at the back of the roof. IOW, the car used styling cues associated with being convertible, but it was not a convertible. Those S bars have since come to symbolize a sort of generic sense of high trim/classy/traditional or something like that. Notably, they can be seen on hearses, which one would not particularly want to suggest are convertibles.

Brougham is also curious, in that it originally meant a kind of carriage, and then car, where the passenger compartment was fully enclosed, but the driver's seat was uncovered. I guess it would be strongly associated with being wealthy enough to have a driver. I guess it came to just be associated with a luxurious vehicle by the time it was used as a car model name.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:18 PM

Saw a couple vintage cars over the weekend, including a Cadillac Eldorado and an absolutely gorgeous first generation Mustang Mach 1.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:36 PM

Baseball

My brother, in Vancouver, was walking to work and passed a Volkswagen gathering in an old parking lot. There were dozens of vintage Volkswagens there. He took a bunch of photos and that was neat.

Then, as I was taking the recycling to the collection spot, I saw an ancient car pulling out of the gas station near my house. I am not great with old car recognition, but it looked like a Model T truck variant. I was driving so I could not get my camera out.

It was very similar to, but not exactly like, this:

Old 13 August 2018, 10:01 PM

Saw an Audi R8, a big Tesla and a BMW M6 in one trip taking the kids to school.
Old 14 August 2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
Saw an Audi R8, a big Tesla and a BMW M6 in one trip taking the kids to school.
I do like the M6. I quite fancy one of those.
Old 14 August 2018, 12:04 PM

There aren't many BMWs apart from the i series that even register with me (too busy avoiding annoying Lamborghinis round here...). I did see one the other day that looked unusual but it turned out to be one of the old 8 series with its pop-up headlights stuck up, even though it was parked. (Like one of the pictures in Wikipedia, in fact - maybe they're meant to do that!) That made it look odd from the front.

Those must have been some of the last cars sold here that still had pop-up headlights, though, and other than those it looks more recent stylistically than the headlights would suggest. So it's still a somewhat memorable car.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:13 AM

Saw a 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle at Whataburger on CR 220 in Fleming Island. Owner has had it for about 8 years. Had Florida antique plates and the four door model.

Nice paint job, and one small rust spot at the right wide of the rear window.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:17 AM

Was followed home by an old style (60's?) Mustang last night.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:39 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
Was followed home by an old style (60's?) Mustang last night.
Was it a green fastback???