snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 17 July 2018, 12:06 AM

Driver Ontario woman accidentally steals car for 2 weeks, mistaking it for a rental

Quote:
The saga began in late June when a woman rented a black Nissan Sentra from Enterprise Rent-A-Car company in Cornwall, Ont., about an hour west of Montreal.
After renting the car, MacKay said the woman drove three or four minutes to the local Walmart where she did some grocery shopping.
"Shortly thereafter she exited, walked over to the area where she had parked her vehicle, saw a shiny black vehicle, hopped in it and drove away," he said
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ntal-1.4740610
Old 17 July 2018, 01:19 PM

The owner of the stolen car seems to have taking it in stride. I don't think I'd be so happy.

For those wondering, the Infiniti in this case only use a proximity fob that doesn't need to be inserted into a hole as it is a push-button start. As long as the fob is inside the cab (roughly), the push button will start the car.

OY
Old 17 July 2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
The owner of the stolen car seems to have taking it in stride. I don't think I'd be so happy.OY
It is generally recommended that you don't leave your key in your car.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
It is generally recommended that you don't leave your key in your car.
Oh totally agreed. It's also generally recommended that you don't leave with someone else's property

OY
Old 18 July 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post

For those wondering, the Infiniti in this case only use a proximity fob that doesn't need to be inserted into a hole as it is a push-button start. As long as the fob is inside the cab (roughly), the push button will start the car.

OY
A few points that come to mind.

How did she lock the car with the rental company's key fob?

Perhaps she found the owner's kep fob, but it never occurred to her that she now had two key fobs for a vehicle?
Old 18 July 2018, 12:27 AM

She might have picked up the wrong fob without realizing she had the other one in her purse. If she's oblivious enough to mistake an Infiniti for a Nissan, she could easily lose track of her keys.
Old 18 July 2018, 12:30 AM

Maybe this is the kind of small town where people don't bother locking their cars? I mean, given how she was able to "steal" the car in the first place...

Or maybe she would just press the button on the rental's key fob as she walked away and didn't realize the vehicle wasn't locking.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHunter View Post
If she's oblivious enough to mistake an Infiniti for a Nissan...
Or for that matter, if she's oblivious enough that the fact that there were papers in the glove box and golf clubs in the trunk didn't clue her in.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:01 AM

I am struggling to remember the details but....

I was with my parents recently and they were house sitting and using the owners car*. We took the car to a shopping centre and came out. Mum pressed the button on the keys to unlock the car and we got into the car....but it wasn't "our" car. Same make and model etc. etc. but not our car....oops We got out pretty quick. Our car was next to it. But the they car did unlock when Mum pressed the button on the keys.

*It was Mum's cousin house and her husband own the car dealership. So my second cousin always has the latest model. Pretty much a new car every time they go there.
Old 18 July 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Maybe this is the kind of small town where people don't bother locking their cars? I mean, given how she was able to "steal" the car in the first place...

Or maybe she would just press the button on the rental's key fob as she walked away and didn't realize the vehicle wasn't locking.

ETA:

Or for that matter, if she's oblivious enough that the fact that there were papers in the glove box and golf clubs in the trunk didn't clue her in.
I can't answer about the obliviousness about the stuff...when I rent a car, I thoroughly examine it and note it on the form they give you. I would certainly notice golf clubs and ask that they be removed.

As far as how she got in, the car unlocks by proximity to the fob...no button pushing required. And also starts by push button as long as the fob is near enough. The owner left his fob in the car. So essentially as if he left it unlocked with the keys in the ignition.
Old 18 July 2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
How did she lock the car with the rental company's key fob?

Perhaps she found the owner's kep fob, but it never occurred to her that she now had two key fobs for a vehicle?
She possibly hit the lock button on her rental's fob and didn't think much of it, but it didn't lock because the "good" fob was inside the car, preventing the "good" fob from being locked in.

That's if she locked it at all. Cornwall is not that big of a town, and pretty safe too.

OY
Old 18 July 2018, 01:36 PM

Baseball

I rent vehicles all the time. As I travel a lot, I've been victim to the coming out of a mall/building and not remembering which car I had that week. I can see how she would have forgotten.

I do, however, inspect my cars beforehand. But I do know several people that place their trust in the national rental agencies to ensure the car is good to go. They do the "quick pickup" for their car.

I've also spent some considerable time in Cornwall, where the story takes place. Despite being on the 401, it is a quaint city where unlocked doors are probably the norm, rather than the exception.

All told, I find this story entirely too plausible. I chuckled when I read it the first time. I chuckled again when I heard her on the CBC talking about it.

https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/p...2-20180710.mp3

I'm glad that it is resolved too.
Old 18 July 2018, 01:50 PM

A couple years ago I was traveling in Florida with a friend who remembered our rental car was white, but nothing else. Every time we walked out to the car she would just walk to the first reasonably new white car and stand beside the passenger door.

My new (to me) car has a key fob like the one in the OP. I rarely take it out of my pocket. It also automatically unlocks the doors when I reach for the handle. If I left the fob in the car someone with a similar car could easily take mine accidentally.
Old 18 July 2018, 04:01 PM

The CarShare company I use used to have the keys tied in a string in the car. You would lock and unlock the car using your personal key fob, then start the car with the "hidden" ignition key. (Often it was just tucked in the drink holder.) I was super paranoid about locking the car when I left it, since I knew someone could just jump in and drive away with the car if I didn't. I even had the occasional nightmare where I came out into the parking lot to find my car missing!

They've now upgraded pretty much all of the cars so that you unlock the car at the beginning of your reservation with your fob, but there is now a key in the glove compartment that you can take with you until the end of your reservation. It's much better because A) It's much more difficult for someone to steal the car, B) The key has an automatic lock on it, so you can lock/ unlock the doors without going around to the front of the car (this becomes a huge hassle when you're making frequent stops and/ or carrying groceries, kids, etc.), and C) I don't have to carry around my giant keychain with both house keys, mail key, carshare fob, daycare fob, etc. every time I leave the car. They even have a special device that the car key lives in that won't let you "fob out" and end your reservation unless the car key is in its spot, so there's no chance of accidentally bringing the key with you when you drop it off.

Now I just have nightmares about accidentally keeping the car for hours after it was due back, or looking into the back seat and realizing I left my kids at home alone.
Old 18 July 2018, 04:52 PM

My father worked with a woman who had the same car that he did- make, model, color, etc... So similar if fact that even their keys would work in both cars.

I'm not sure which of them discovered it first, but over the number of years they both owned these cars each of them made the mistake a number of times of getting into the wrong vehicle in the parking lot and getting as far as starting the car (and sometimes backing out and starting to drive a bit) before noticing something being off about the car they thought was theirs.

I believe it was a 1995 red Chrysler LeBaron convertible. The year might be off...maybe a 91.
Old 18 July 2018, 05:24 PM

Several years ago I went out to lunch with some coworkers. We drove to the restaurant in my coworker's tan Honda CRV. When we were leaving the restaurant we all walked over to a tan Honda CRV parked in the same vicinity where we he had parked and piled in. The first clue that something was wrong was when the guy who was riding shotgun found a religious book sitting on his seat that wasn't there before. And then we were approached by an old woman asking what we were doing in her car. It was at that point we noticed his completely identical car parked about two spaces away. He didn't get to the point of trying to start it; I'm guessing that wouldn't have worked. It was old enough to use an actual key.