snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 August 2018, 02:42 PM

Sorry Gutter Monkey and Alarm, neither of those happened.
Old 02 August 2018, 03:52 PM

Icon18

Well, actually... for Gutter Monkey at least it sort of has.
Old 02 August 2018, 05:30 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Ugh, such a missed opportunity. NO STARS
Old 02 August 2018, 05:39 PM

TISHTTM: Stop looking at the emails and brochures from the sailing companies. You can't afford a sailing trip and the pretty, pretty boats and vistas just make you have the sads.
Old 02 August 2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:

*slap*
Old 02 August 2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
TISHTTM: Stop looking at the emails and brochures from the sailing companies. You can't afford a sailing trip and the pretty, pretty boats and vistas just make you have the sads.
I get swoony looking at the cruise brochure ads, but I'm pretty sure my claustrophobia would make it difficult to actually enjoy a cruise
Old 02 August 2018, 11:08 PM

How severe is your claustrophobia? Plenty of modern cruise ships are quite spacious, especially if you're not on one of the cheapo cruises (tip: never go on the cheapo cruises).
Old 03 August 2018, 12:55 PM

You know, now you've got me thinking. It seems like it only kicks in if I'm in a cramped space where things are too close to my face (i.e. back seat of a car and the person in front of me has their seat back) or if I'm immobilized in a crowd. My two worst incidents were- 1. on a field trip in high school we were in a large-ish gazebo with dozens, maybe a hundred other people, during a thunderstorm, where I had to squat down and breathe the air near the ground... 2. waiting in line to go inside the audience room for a live television show, we were in a pretty spacious hallway but half of it was cordoned off to contain us on one side and allow other groups out. The crowd kept crunching forward and people woudl sometimes be allowed out of the cordoned area to use the bathroom, but then everyone would push forward to fill the space and then not pull back once the person returned. I was next to the rope and 7-8 feet of open space was next to me but maybe we'd just been standing too long, I collapsed and my SO was luckily there to catch me. Didn't "pass out" all the way but I was well into the other physical warning signs and it was pretty embarassing.
I took a plane trip a few months ago and was fine on there (once the plane had left the runway anyhow- but that's just launch jitters)

Lol. Maybe I can reevaluate my cruise phobia if I'm ever financially comfortable enough to actually pursue it after all
Old 03 August 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I get swoony looking at the cruise brochure ads, but I'm pretty sure my claustrophobia would make it difficult to actually enjoy a cruise
My wife and I went on a cruise this past May for our 30th wedding anniversary along with two other couples. It was the Holland America liner Veendam, which is nowhere near the size of the behemoth ships of Royal Caribbean and the like - a mere 1300 passengers, versus well over 6000 for the big ships. It still felt pretty spacious, even the "close quarters" room we had. At the time, my wife was in a leg brace and using either a wheelchair or crutches to get around, and aside from issues with the elevators, the corridors and rooms felt sufficiently spacious. In addition, the wife of one of the other couples has a serious phobia about boats and ships and open water, but she felt secure enough that she had a very good time on the cruise. Now, obviously, phobias are what they are, and YMMV, but I would say that it would be likely that a modern cruise vessel wouldn't necessarily trigger a case of claustrophobia. Possibly agoraphobia or enochlophobia, the big liners can be pretty crowded.
Old 03 August 2018, 05:26 PM

Icon401

I suspect that whatever the size of the cruise ship or liner, unless they’ve brought back steerage, you will find you have at least as much *room as you would in a sedan with the seats pulled out and more overhead too—and that’s just at night. During the day, I would imagine there would be all manner of more spacious areas of the ship to spend your time.

Now do time in berthing aboard a Navy ship... honestly, I’m not even sure I could handle that again after the events of last summer.

*ETA: By which I mean floor space.

Last edited by ASL; 03 August 2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03 August 2018, 07:47 PM

When my grandparents took me on a cruise around the North Sea after I graduated high school, our cabin was comparable to that of a typical motel room, but with much nicer furnishings.

Of course, that was on a small cruise ship with less than 1000 passengers. Don't know what it would be like on a larger ship.
Old 04 August 2018, 02:34 AM

I was on a ship of about 3000 last year. The room was comparable to that of a small hotel room, with space for the 4 of us. The rest of the ship had a LOT of room on it. I can't think of any spaces that would cause claustrophobia, since even the elevators were at least 10' x 10'.
Old 08 August 2018, 03:50 PM

Icon401

Dawn, you signed up for the planning team (for a series of upcoming meetings) because you think you should go outside of your comfort zone if only a little bit. Besides, it might be interesting and you don't know who you might meet.
Relax.
Old 08 August 2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post

Lol. Maybe I can reevaluate my cruise phobia if I'm ever financially comfortable enough to actually pursue it after all
Just chiming in to say that my mother is very claustrophobic but she used to love going on cruises. For years that was the vacation of choice for my parents. Trust me when I say if there was any issue of being in a small enclosed space there is no way she'd have gone - certainly not twice! Now the financial side, that's another story. I've always said I'd love to go on a cruise but I don't want a stateroom in the bowels of the ship so I need to wait for my financial ship to come in before I book myself on a cruise - I want the rooms the movies stars get .
Old 09 August 2018, 01:22 PM

I don't know what your vacation budget is, but cruises don't have to be that expensive, even non-steerage. It's not too hard to find outside cabins for $100-200 per day. Keep in mind that includes lodging and meals. Of course, you have to be careful about the nickel and diming--beverages cost extra, which can add up, and of course shore excursions are extra and can be a lot.
Old 11 August 2018, 05:10 PM

When you say that you want to have a conversation about why I was offended by something you said to me (which was fat-shaming regardless of what you try to claim), do not try to turn around and blame things me.
Old 11 August 2018, 06:20 PM

If you chop up onions and put them in a pan with oil, they won't start cooking unless you actually turn on the hob under them.
Old 13 August 2018, 02:12 PM

Japan

It's midnight. You've got work tomorrow as well as the following two days (and possibly another 2 days after that). You really need to go to bed. Watching another episode of My Hero Academia is a terrible idea.
Old 02 September 2018, 10:55 PM

We loaned money to a family member a few months ago and despite their promise to pay us back they so far haven't done so. I finally emailed them about it asking if they could please pay back at least some part of the loan and set up a plan to repay a small amount each month. They reacted like I was a mob boss threatening to break their knees . Lesson learned, well, lesson I already knew but had chosen to ignore but plan not to ignore in future. Not everyone who asks for a loan means loan, they actually mean gift me some money.

Last edited by Sue; 02 September 2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03 September 2018, 09:15 PM

deleted and extra characters