snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 08 June 2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
I'm somewhat familiar with Discourse as a platform, and it's not a bad one or anything. I just wouldn't count on anything we currently have transferring like we were able to do with the phpBB move.
I don't know which move thorny locust was referring to, but the change between the two different UBB-style boards wasn't the "big one" for those of us who have been here longest.

When I started posting, there was a completely different system - I don't know what it's called but you don't see it often these days. You didn't need to log in, and you could post under whatever user name you liked, a different one for each post if you wanted. The posts were all listed on a page as links, with replies as links underneath in a tree structure, so if a thread got very long it started to mess up the format of the page and all the reply links ended up squashed at one edge.

Obviously that wouldn't have been at all workable for a bigger community, so snopes switched it to something that (looked like) this one, in February 2000 I think*. Nothing carried over from that, and that marked the start of needing accounts and user names to sign in with. Then a few years later there was a switch from one UBB-style board to a different one, and I think the forum structure, user list and possibly active threads did manage to carry over.

For a while when it first switched to UBB there was a "shared" user, Edith D. Bunker, whose password we all knew, which was supposed to be used to post links to snopes pages if somebody brought up a legend that had already got its own page, because people used to do this using that name on the "old old" boards. Obviously that didn't last either...!

*(eta) 19th February 2000, I guess! Originally my join date was a couple of days after the new board was created, because it took me a day or two to make an account. I'd thought I might have gained a day or two after the switch to the second UBB board when some data was lost and recreated. But I just checked snopes's join date and it's 18th February 2000 so that's probably the exact switch date. I'm not sure if I gained some days, or if I just signed up more quickly than I'd remembered.
Old 08 June 2018, 12:14 PM

Richard W, I must be remembering the second switch. I never saw the oldest boards; I didn't have a computer/net access until 2002.
Old 08 June 2018, 01:26 PM

Default Done a bit of Discourse

I've used Discourse once or twice.

It can be a very wild, wild, west, nearly everything goes kind of place. But it is pretty easy to control one's own channel as long as the moderators do their jobs well.

A nice feature for me, is that it has a robust mobile app version that ties into the same channels as the web version so the forum is more accessible to phones and tablets.

It also has voice chat and users can create tools and add ons to the platform.

Could be interesting, but will definitely be different, very very different.
Old 08 June 2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
When I started posting, there was a completely different system - I don't know what it's called but you don't see it often these days. You didn't need to log in, and you could post under whatever user name you liked, a different one for each post if you wanted. The posts were all listed on a page as links, with replies as links underneath in a tree structure, so if a thread got very long it started to mess up the format of the page and all the reply links ended up squashed at one edge.
I (vaguely) remember those boards. UBB was a HUGE upgrade.

Quote:
For a while when it first switched to UBB there was a "shared" user, Edith D. Bunker, whose password we all knew, which was supposed to be used to post links to snopes pages if somebody brought up a legend that had already got its own page, because people used to do this using that name on the "old old" boards. Obviously that didn't last either...!
Ah, Edith and Archie. I remember them well. For you younguns and ferriners, they were named after the lead characters from the 1970s American sitcom All In the Family (that was stolen from a British sitcom).
Old 08 June 2018, 04:43 PM

Alf Garnett is the British equivalent of Archie Bunker. I can't remember what his wife was called - Else, apparently. But Else D. Garnett doesn't really work as a pun...
Old 08 June 2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know which move thorny locust was referring to, but the change between the two different UBB-style boards wasn't the "big one" for those of us who have been here longest.

Oh wow, I had forgotten about that. I remember I used to browse it but never posted, and I saw Edith D. Bunker but it took me forever to figure out what was going on with that account
I just realized I screwed up part of that - I meant UBB, not phpBB. I think that's what we were on before vBulletin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I've used Discourse once or twice.

It can be a very wild, wild, west, nearly everything goes kind of place. But it is pretty easy to control one's own channel as long as the moderators do their jobs well.

A nice feature for me, is that it has a robust mobile app version that ties into the same channels as the web version so the forum is more accessible to phones and tablets.

It also has voice chat and users can create tools and add ons to the platform.

Could be interesting, but will definitely be different, very very different.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Discord, not Discourse. Discourse is forum software, like what we're using now, in a little different format. Discord is a voice/text chat client that functions as you describe. I wouldn't say it's ideal for the kind of asynchronous, lengthy discussions that this community leans toward.
Old 10 June 2018, 08:57 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
Wow..I missed all of that. Sounds unpleasant.
GOMI posters followed it- they have some saved posts. It was just crazy.
Old 10 June 2018, 12:53 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
GOMI posters followed it- they have some saved posts. It was just crazy.

I spent a couple of hours reading over there...Crazy it was.
Old 11 June 2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Discord, not Discourse.
You are correct, I did not notice the difference. That does make a bit more sense.