snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 11 September 2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
WildaBeast, if it were here, I'd call or go talk to my local post office. This is a small town, though; I don't know whether that'll help where you are.

-- I don't know for sure whether it would fix the problem here, either. But I expect they'd try.

I emailed their customer service and got what looks to be a canned response they send everyone who complains about that error: "If you used this shipping method, use this tracking number, etc..." Which doesn't help me since I don't have a tracking number. Although it makes me wonder if I was supposed to get some additional paperwork besides the receipt when I bought the insurance. But the receipt was all the kiosk gave me besides the shipping label. I was hoping to avoid having to make a trip down to the Post Office, but I guess that's my next option.
Old 11 September 2018, 07:57 PM

Glasses

UPS was supposed to go to a location, pick something up, slap a label on it and ship it to me. I paid extra so they would do this. I even have a tracking number--which indicates that the package has not yet shipped.

I sent quite a rude message to them last night asking where my package was, since it was supposed to arrive on 8/28.

Seaboe (maybe I should've driven the 360 miles round trip to pick it up myself).
Old 11 September 2018, 08:29 PM

Baseball

Dog walkers who block the whole multi-purpose pathway.

I did a very long bike ride on Sunday. And about 1/4 of it is on multi-purpose pathways through Fredericton. I have no problem sharing the pathway.

It is wide enough for easy passing, even for people who rollerblade.

Except dog walkers. And only specific ones. I mean the ones who stick to one side of the path and let their dog take the extension lead well across the path so that there is no way to pass.

Most dogs and walkers will stick to one side of the path and if the dog moves across, the owner does too. But there is that one subset that won't, forcing other users to walk/ride off the path into the grass/gravel to avoid getting tangled in a leash.

That is what annoyed me this weekend.
Old 11 September 2018, 11:53 PM

Tantrum

Hotels that have their "temperature guard" shower faucets (The ones that are supposed to protect you from being scalded by hot water.) turned down so low, that at best, you get a lukewarm shower.
Old 12 September 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Except dog walkers. And only specific ones. I mean the ones who stick to one side of the path and let their dog take the extension lead well across the path so that there is no way to pass.

Most dogs and walkers will stick to one side of the path and if the dog moves across, the owner does too. But there is that one subset that won't, forcing other users to walk/ride off the path into the grass/gravel to avoid getting tangled in a leash.

That is what annoyed me this weekend.

My similar annoyance is dog walkers who stop to take a cell phone call and don't pay attention to what their dog is doing while they're on the phone. They'll stand off to one side, and while they're talking the dog wanders over to the other side, stretching the leash across the and creating a roadblock for everyone.
Old 12 September 2018, 03:15 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
They'll stand off to one side, and while they're talking the dog wanders over to the other side, stretching the leash across the and creating a roadblock for everyone.
Exactly. You share my frustration.
Old 12 September 2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Hotels that have their "temperature guard" shower faucets (The ones that are supposed to protect you from being scalded by hot water.) turned down so low, that at best, you get a lukewarm shower.
In addition
Hotels that have Tub Showers that require the fan be turned on for the tub to drain properly but do not provide instructions on how to turn the fan on...

So not only are you taking a lukewarm shower, your taking a lukewarm footbath at the same time.
Old 12 September 2018, 02:46 PM

The fan has to be on for the drain to work? Never heard of that. Can't really figure out how that would work without specialty equipment. Never saw it in any hotel I designed. Most of the hotels do seem to close the drain when the tub is cleaned though.
Old 12 September 2018, 02:49 PM

RichardM: I presume it would be an air pressure thing. The fan would increase the air pressure in the bathroom which would help the drain work more efficiently as there would be more of a differential. But, I've never thought of this before so I have no idea of the validity of this concept.

ETA: But, I've never designed a hotel, just wondering at the possible physics of such a thing.
Old 12 September 2018, 10:44 PM

There would have to be an electrical or mechanical valve in the drain line. I hadn't considered air pressure but a change in air pressure to lift a valve in the drain line would have to be strong enough to also suck water out of the drain back into the tub.

The reason I say to lift the valve and suck the water back up is because the exhaust fan pulls air out of the room thus lowering the pressure in the room although not by much.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:07 PM

I didn't look at the question is something mechanically changing in the drain. But rather the efficiency of the drain and whether the water drains out faster or slower then the amount of water coming in from the shower. I hypothesized that maybe a fan in the bathroom may change the air pressure just enough to affect this balance and cross the threshold in some cases.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:16 PM

The fans in the bathrooms are exhaust fans. I would think that turning them on would lower the air pressure although it would take very sensitive instruments to measure the change. I'm trying to think of how the fan in the bath could affect the efficiency of the drains. But I'm an electrical engineer so drains aren't exactly in my expertise.

ETA: I have noticed that the amount of water coming from the spigot into the tub is much greater than that which comes out of the shower head.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:27 PM

I have been in two hotels where this was the case...
In both cases, with the fan off, the drainage in the tub was almost non-existent. Once the fan turned on, there was a noticeable increase in drainage.

The hotel I went to a few weeks ago, however, did not have a sign instructing people that the fan HAD to be on for the drain to function (unlike the first time I encountered this). In fact the fan was so weak that I thought at first the switch did nothing at all (almost no sound).
Old 13 September 2018, 04:32 PM

I wonder whether there's a second drain stopper deliberately wired to the fan switch, in order to make people turn the fan on and thereby discourage moisture from building up in the room?

I can't imagine any other way it would work. A difference in air pressure drastic enough to keep all the water in the tub would have other symptoms, wouldn't it? possibly including people passing out on the john due to lack of oxygen because the room was sealed so tightly.

I'm bothered by the sound of many bathroom fans, and don't turn them on if I can help it. Maybe there's a lot of other people who don't turn them on if they can help it; and maybe the air circulation otherwise in hotel bathrooms is bad enough for this to cause problems -- I generally leave the bathroom door open when not in there, but maybe other people don't.
Old 13 September 2018, 04:48 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to wire the fan and the bathroom light on the same switch, rather than linking a drain stopper to the fan switch? Issues of mixing water and 110V aside, having an electrical component that could fail buried somewhere in the wall/floor where it might be hard to get to would be a maintenance headache.
Old 13 September 2018, 05:48 PM

The control for the second stopper wouldn't need to be in or near the tub; it could move something mechanical that was in the wall next to the tub, if necessary behind an access panel.

However, it does seem easier to wire the fan to the light switch, and I have known it to be done that way -- that comes under the category of 'bathrooms in which I have to turn on the fan, even though it makes a noise that drives me crazy'. So I don't know why they'd bother connecting it to the tub drain instead. But it makes no sense at all to me that the lack of a running fan prevents tub drainage by affecting the air pressure. Wouldn't you need an entirely airtight room? And wouldn't it be a chronic, and well known, problem in modern houses and apartments, if it really does work that way?
Old 13 September 2018, 05:54 PM

I wonder if it has to do with the venting of the tub drain. Maybe the pipe vents into the ceiling plenum and the fan, when turned on, opens up a path to the outside.
Old 13 September 2018, 06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure every plumbing code requires that the plumbing have unblocked vents. Especially since the tub drain and toilet drain probably share the same vent pipe.
Closed Thread