snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 17 July 2018, 02:34 AM

I don't plan to age that long.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:41 AM

I really don't understand why people age meat that long. There was some steakhouse I read about once that said that 2/3rds of the meat on their steaks got trimmed off due to how long they aged them. This was supposed to be a good thing.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:28 AM

Do you remember where you read that? My understanding is that steak houses would definitely not age "steaks." You age much larger cuts of meat, then trim and cut into steaks. And 2/3 waste sounds very surprising to me. But I only recently learned the details I know, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:29 AM

It was on the blog Why Evolution Is True in a post about a restaurant the blog owner, Jerry Coyne, was visiting. Keep in mind that this was a blog I stopped following years ago due to the owner's increasingly anti-LGBT stance, and the post came out at least a year before that, so it was probably some time around 2012 or 2013 when it was written. I may have gotten the exact ratio of meat lost wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was over 1/2 the cut. I remember at the time thinking about how wasteful it seemed.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:37 AM

Chef

It doesn’t go into proportions, but this wiki article discusses why some portions of the beef are cut off prior to serving dry-aged beef:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging
Old 17 July 2018, 02:11 PM

The majority of mom-and-pop butcher shops, when I was growing up in Canada, would dry age their beef on site in the large walk-in coolers. I remember when I was a kid, dad & I would do our yearly or bi-yearly pilgrimage to the butcher shop (it was about 15 miles away) and dad would pick which section of beef he wanted for T-bones (that was his favorite). The butcher would then put the section on his shoulder, bring it to the block, trim some of the external fat, then slice is to my dad's specs (dad's favorite was 3/4"). The butcher would then use a ring-scraper on each steak (apparently it's called a bone dust scraper and it's used to remove the bone dust from the meat after sawing), then package steaks as per my dad's request (2 or 4 per pack).

The local IGA also did the same but I'm not sure if they aged for as long as the mom-and-pop place.

OY
Old 17 July 2018, 02:33 PM

And before supermarkets, pretty much all meat was dry aged. Sides of beef would hang until it was time to break one down.

After watching a couple of videos about some of the extreme aging some places are playing with, I retract my questioning of the 2/3. 28 days is typical for a premium steak house, but one place I saw has 45 days as their least aged steak. They served the guy doing the video a steak that was at 430 -- it was an experiment "to see how far they could take it." It was reportedly not at all pleasant. But he did like one that was over 200 days.