snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 01 February 2008, 05:49 PM
AdmiralSirJohn

Frying Pan KFC's Secret Recipe was originally Minnie Pearl's

Here's one from my mother, who sears up and down that it's true.

Harlan Sanders didn't originate the KFC formula.

Here's how my mother tells it:

Quote:
A few years before Sanders opened his restaurant, he had dinner with an up-and-coming country music singer by the name of "Cousin" Minnie Pearl. After tasting her unique fried chicken, he embarked on a crusade of wining and dining to obtain the recipe, and, as soon as he did, he basically abandoned her and opened Kentucky Friend Chicken.
Can somebody definitively debunk this thing, please?
Old 02 February 2008, 04:10 AM

Chicken

By the time Minnie Pearl could have been considered an "up-and-coming country music singer" (i.e., when she first joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1940), Colonel Sanders was already selling chicken made with his "special recipe" in his own restaurant. He hadn't started the KFC chain yet, and the chicken recipe would change a bit before he did, but the basics were already in place.

- snopes
Old 02 February 2008, 03:19 PM

I thought it was the cooking PROCESS (pressure frying) he invented, not the recipe anyway..

How about this as a tag along...

I read in a "Secret recipe cook book" that the true formula doesn't have 11 herbs and spices at all.. and that is just a "trademark saying"...

The recipe is simply flour,salt,pepper,paprika and (at the time of the writing of the book) MSG.

The recipe in the cookbook did TASTE just like KFC, it just didn't look like it, mostly because it wasn't pressure fried..
Old 02 February 2008, 05:01 PM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
I read in a "Secret recipe cook book" that the true formula doesn't have 11 herbs and spices at all..
It does, but seven of them are salt ...

- snopes
Old 02 February 2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The recipe is simply flour,salt,pepper,paprika and (at the time of the writing of the book) MSG.
MSG was isolated in 1907 and rapidly became commercially available in Japan. It was not marketed in the US until 1947 - 7 years after the Colonel introduced what is know known as the original recipe in his only restaurant - when KFC was started in 1952 he kept the recipe.

However MSG is just a concentrated way of introducing the 'Umami' flavour, which is naturally found in many foodstuffs and spices, and probably the MSG is used in the recipe above as a cheap and consistant alternative to a mixture of spices
Old 02 February 2008, 06:49 PM
AdmiralSirJohn

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
By the time Minnie Pearl could have been considered an "up-and-coming country music singer" (i.e., when she first joined the Grand Ole Opry in 1940), Colonel Sanders was already selling chicken made with his "special recipe" in his own restaurant. He hadn't started the KFC chain yet, and the chicken recipe would change a bit before he did, but the basics were already in place.

- snopes
That's what I was looking for!

Thanks for the quick info.
Old 03 February 2008, 12:57 AM

Mouse

Quote:
I thought it was the cooking PROCESS (pressure frying) he invented, not the recipe anyway..

How about this as a tag along...

I read in a "Secret recipe cook book" that the true formula doesn't have 11 herbs and spices at all.. and that is just a "trademark saying"...

The recipe in the cookbook did TASTE just like KFC, it just didn't look like it, mostly because it wasn't pressure fried..
I worked at a restaurant that sold Kentucky Fried Chicken, while I was in high school. I breaded a whole lot of chicken. I don't know what was in the breading mix but we use to mix the package of herbs and spices with something like a 25 or 50 lb bag of flour. I can promise you that it was much more than salt, pepper, and paprika. What happened to the recipe after the Corporation took over, I wouldn't know. But, I believe it was, originally, at least 11 herbs and spices because I saw something that appeared to be that with my eyes, mixed it with my hands, smelled it with my nose.
Old 03 February 2008, 01:03 AM
AdmiralSirJohn

I've gotten my hands on the seasoning mix, as well, and just the ingredients list shows more than 11, even though some of them are simply labeled "spices".

Thanks to everyone for debunking this myth. Maybe now, I can convince my mother that she's been wrong all these years.
Old 03 February 2008, 02:09 AM
TomToad

This site claims to list the 11 herbs and spices.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...alan%20claver)
Old 03 February 2008, 08:17 AM

Icon27

• chicken
  • grease
  • salt

It's true, check the Gutenberg Bible
Old 03 February 2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSirJohn View Post
Thanks to everyone for debunking this myth. Maybe now, I can convince my mother that she's been wrong all these years.
Not a chance.
Old 03 February 2008, 11:18 PM
innocenteyes

Quote:
It does, but seven of them are salt ...

- snopes
LMAO. my friend says the same thing but she says the other 7 are fat
Old 04 February 2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSirJohn View Post
I doubt that will happen.
Old 06 February 2008, 06:43 PM
codymc

While not KFC -- it appears that Ms. Pearl was briefly selling fried chicken

http://www.franchisetimes.com/conten...?article=00401
Old 06 February 2008, 07:47 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Great story, codymc.

I guess that Arthur Treacher's Fish 'n' Chips and Mickey Mantle's chicken franchise followed different routes to disaster. Mickey's slogan was "The only way to get a better piece of chicken is to be rooster."

I particularly like the analogy of Pepsi copying Coke.

Ali "the real thing" Infree
Old 06 February 2008, 07:51 PM

According to List Universe, here is the "secret recipe" for KFC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by List Universe
4 chicken leg quarters
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 teaspoons MSG
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut chicken into 8 pieces(4 legs and 4 thighs).
3. In a zip lock bag mix all dry ingredients.
4. Moisten chicken.
5. Put one or two pieces of chicken at a time into the bag and shake well.
6. Then put chicken pieces on an oiled pan. Use Canola or Peanut oil so your chicken will not stick.
7. Bake approximately 40-50 minutes until chicken is done. Half way through baking spoon oil from pan on chicken to brown properly.

So much for the secrets herbs and spices!
Old 06 February 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
Thats the recipe!
Old 07 February 2008, 02:28 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
Leg quarters? Because even KFC doesn't use the whole chicken? And preheat the oven? They're cooking KFC in an oven now? *BUZZ!* Wrong answer! If the most basic elements of the method is wrong wrong wrong, how can you even consider the ingredients might be correct?
Old 07 February 2008, 03:03 AM

Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
Leg quarters? Because even KFC doesn't use the whole chicken? And preheat the oven? They're cooking KFC in an oven now? *BUZZ!* Wrong answer! If the most basic elements of the method is wrong wrong wrong, how can you even consider the ingredients might be correct?
The recipe is instructions for making chicken that tastes like KFC at home; it's not a literal explanation of how KFC itself prepares its chicken.

- snopes
Old 07 February 2008, 03:46 AM
Elsie

Quote:
The recipe is instructions for making chicken that tastes like KFC at home; it's not a literal explanation of how KFC itself prepares its chicken.

- snopes
Sure... But I thought that pressure cooking was just as big a contributor to the taste as the actual recipe, or if not taste then texture. I just don't think you can duplicate that in an oven, regardless of the chicken pieces that you use. But then, I think most "oven-fried" chicken is pretty worthless myself.