snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 August 2018, 04:27 PM

Driver Things you've seen in the road

This morning, the local news station mentioned a poll they had on things people have encountered on the local roads. Of course retreads/tire remnants were number one, plus there were ladders, furniture, various trash etc. Here's the site:
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/08/...l-road-debris/

I've seen just about everything listed in the article.
The strangest thing I ever saw was clothes and suitcases spread out along the side of a state highway. I could just see some car making that left turn from a county road onto the state road and the poorly secured suitcase flying off the car and scattering its contents all over the roadside. I kind of felt sorry for the unknown motorist.
Old 28 August 2018, 05:41 PM

I was driving on I-89 in Vermont, went over a small hill and came face-to-face with a washing machine in the left lane (which I was in at the time). Nowhere to go on the right so I slammed the brakes, HARD... VERY HARD. I stopped about 5 feet from the machine and eventually was able to go around it from the right (the left was a seriously sloped berm).

I called 911 to report the event. They calmly replied "Yeah.. we know. We've dispatched someone." ... Not very pressed. (nor was I impressed).

I've seen numerous mattresses on the road/the side of the road. Avoid those like the plague, because your car won't be happy with running over one.

OY
Old 28 August 2018, 06:23 PM

The oddest thing I've seen in a road is a boat. Came off of the trailer in the middle of an intersection. Snarled up traffic all to hell. Had to be one pretty bummed out owner.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:45 AM

Over the years, I have picked up two pocket knives (one an official Boy Scout knife), a pair of channel lock pliers, a handful of sockets (random in both drive size as well as operating size), a few screwdrivers and a socket wrench off of various streets, roads and highways. I almost got a measuring wheel, but on closer examination, the measuring part was inoperable. The Boy Scout knife remains a particularly vivid memory, as it was an almost Hollywood scenario: I was a middle-school kid, riding in the front passenger seat of my father's car. I spotted it in the road ahead; it was a local highway with several signalled intersections, and it was at an intersection. Light turned red ahead of us, we stopped next to the knife, I literally just opened my door and reached down to pick it up. Doesn't get much sweeter than that!
Old 29 August 2018, 03:24 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
I was driving on I-89 in Vermont, went over a small hill and came face-to-face with a washing machine in the left lane (which I was in at the time).

I was driving into Montreal a few years ago when I hear a traffic report of a washing machine in the center lane of the T-Can (TransCanadian highway) during the end of the morning rush.I have no idea how long it had been there for but the SQ were en route.

eta other things I have heard of but not seen.. Pigs in the Lafontaine Tunnel which links the island of Montreal with the South Shore. The SQ had to shut the tunnel down following a live-stock truck shedding part of it's load.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:34 AM

Chicken

This...

IMG_8841 by mtwilda, on Flickr

...But why?
Old 29 August 2018, 04:02 PM

Canada

The oddest thing I have encountered was a weight lifting bench in the middle of my lane. I moved it out of the way.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:18 PM

Not so odd 'round here, but to others it might seem odd.

Alligator and a turtle. We'd had a bit of rain and both sides of the road were flooded.

I think the gator was just trying to grab some lunch while the turtle was trying to avoid being lunch.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:34 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Not so odd 'round here, but to others it might seem odd.

Alligator and a turtle. We'd had a bit of rain and both sides of the road were flooded.

I think the gator was just trying to grab some lunch while the turtle was trying to avoid being lunch.
Either that, or you got in the middle of filming a live-action Pogo movie - that was Albert and Churchy.

[hijack] My favorite bit of math-geek humor came from that strip. Churchy was panicking because he noticed he only had four fingers. "Oh no! I only have four finger bones. What am I going to do?" to which Howland replied "switch to base 8." [/hijack]
Old 29 August 2018, 05:38 PM

I don't know if this counts as humor but I like the tale that math/computer geeks get Christmas and Halloween confused because dec 25 = oct 31. [/ongoinghijack]
Old 29 August 2018, 05:54 PM

GenYus234:

YOMANK!

BW
Old 30 August 2018, 01:53 PM

Cow

Several years ago, DH and I were heading to Rehobeth Beach when we encountered a cow in the road. She didn't hang around, she just wanted to get to the other side.
Then there's the times I've seen (and been in) traffic that's stopped because a group of geese is crossing the road.
Old 30 August 2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Several years ago, DH and I were heading to Rehobeth Beach when we encountered a cow in the road. She didn't hang around, she just wanted to get to the other side.
Then there's the times I've seen (and been in) traffic that's stopped because a group of geese is crossing the road.
Cows and sheep are fairly common sights on the roads in rural areas. My last visit to Scotland, I drove on the back roads of Lockerbie (I drove by on the motorway and decided to take the back roads) and saw numerous sheep on the back roads.

OY
Old 30 August 2018, 03:26 PM

Glasses

I saw an elk (yes, just one) nibbling on a road sign while I was in Redwood State & National Parks, but I didn't think it was odd or unusual. That's their home. Elk are all over the place.

And I suppose, technically it wasn't in the road, just beside it.

Seaboe
Old 30 August 2018, 04:38 PM

Fright

Many years ago I was sitting at a light behind someone in a pickup truck. There was a large piece of plywood with a sink in(?) it. Unsecured, just sitting in the truck bed. Once the light changed, and I could safely do so, I changed lanes. Sure enough, once the driver increased his speed, the the sink/wood combo flew right off. Luckily everyone else had changed lanes as well, so no one was hurt. I don't think the driver even realized that the item had fallen off; I don't remember him stopping.
Old 30 August 2018, 08:01 PM

Glasses

In Washington, there's a law specifically about unsecured loads. I don't think that's particularly unusual, but ours makes (g)you criminally liable for an unsecured load.

I former coworker was badly injured by an unsecured ladder falling off a truck.

Seaboe
Old 30 August 2018, 08:20 PM

Baseball

I've seen plenty of wildlife. That's for sure.

But travelling through Alberta once, saw an Emu running all over the road. It was an escapee from the nearby emu farm and there were people trying to corral it. We had to stop and wait for quite a while.

About 30 minutes later on the same drive we came across a flaming vehicle on the right lane of the road.
Old 31 August 2018, 05:52 AM

Have also driven in rural Scotland, and encountered both sheep and chickens in the road.

The oddest animal was a horse, that due to the low fence, had his head actually over the one-lane road. I had to slow down and creep past him as there wasn't that much space to go around.
Old 31 August 2018, 01:37 PM

Walking to the train station yesterday, I saw a 6" crayfish walking down the middle of the road. The poor guy was obviously lost, because the nearest body of water was a good block and a half away, and that's a small pond. Either that, or he escaped from my neighbor's bait bucket.

ETA: yes, I logged in today specifically to add this to this thread. Seeing that crawdad just tickled me!