snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 06 December 2007, 03:13 PM

Goat

Certainly not surprising, the state GOP here(West Virginia) decided to hold a convention on February 5 (Tsunami Tuesday) to allocate about 40% of the state's Republican delegates to their national convention. Their thought is that convention will be over by mid-afternoon and could be a late boost to the winner in the ongoing primaries. A interesting plan from people who show little ability to do that kind of thing, especially at election time.

That said, among the delegates who have declared their allegiance, the top three candidates are:

Mitt Romney: 191 delegates
Ron Paul: 177 delegates
Fred Thompson: 157 delegates

About 1400 delegates will attend, with uncommitted delegates amounting to more than 1/3.

Still the Libertarian factor is interesting to see. And we won't even get a super highway.

Ali "one continent, one road" Infree
Old 21 January 2008, 03:38 AM
Two2two

Read This!

A silly thought on this nafta toll road business. Did anyone realize it is unconstitutional to put a toll on those Mexican trucks?

Take a look.

Article 1 sec. 9 paragraph 5.
No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state.

Article 1 sec. 10 paragraph 2.
No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.

Nearest I can figure those Mexican trucks would be immune to those tolls because the tolls are a state tax. And products going in or out of the US would be immune to state taxes.
Old 27 January 2010, 06:37 AM

Default Lawmaker's bill would make I-69 work a crime

An East Tennessee lawmaker has filed a bill to make it a criminal act for the state to contract for any work on any portion of Interstate 69 or any other highway project designed to link Canada, the United States and Mexico.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ould-be-crime/
Old 27 January 2010, 10:14 AM

Why does he hate international trade?

(Also why do so many whackjobs get elected to state legislatures?)
Old 27 January 2010, 06:13 PM

Psst! Don't tell him that I69 ends in Indianapolis, and wouldn't come anywhere close to Mexico even if it were expanded.
Old 27 January 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Psst! Don't tell him that I69 ends in Indianapolis, and wouldn't come anywhere close to Mexico even if it were expanded.
Actually it would:
Quote:
It will extend from three border crossings, at Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville, along US 59, US 281, and US 77 towards Victoria.
But he's an idiot anyway, largely because he's stupid.
Old 27 January 2010, 08:51 PM

The first part of the leg from here to Indy is done! I've driven on it! All two miles of it. But it's a start. I'm more concerned with having a faster route to Bloomington and Indy than I am invasion forces though.
Gibbie
Old 29 January 2010, 05:24 PM

Icon86

I stand corrected! Silly me! Looking at the map, I don't see where this extension is necessary. There are enough north / south expressways already in that neck of the woods.

Oh, by the way, I5 and I15 already go directly from Mexico to Canada, and you could easily go from East Texas to Detroit using nothing but expressways, so I don't know why this person is all up in arms about being able to do it on a road with a single number.