snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 01 May 2010, 08:16 PM

Default Did people shout bigoted epithets at congressmen in March?

There was a kerfluffle over some tea party demonstrators shouting "wetbacK" at Ciro Rodriguez, "faggot" at Barney Frank and "nigger" at James Clyburn and John Lewis on or around March 20th.

But conservatives have countered that there's no recordings of those events, so there's no way to prove that they happened and maybe the radical liberal left made the whole thing up.

It's unlikely that those congressmen would make up such a thing, but aside from what they say, how can we know that they happened?
Old 01 May 2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
It's unlikely that they would make up such a thing, but how can one know for sure?
No one can know for sure, but I will take these men at their collective word(s). They are, after all, collectively a pretty distinguished group. The ones making the opposite claim? Not so much. Really, less than 50 years ago for the most part such an event couldn't be "proven" by remote recording.

The right just want to be apologists for the frothing rabble they continue to encourage.

P&LL, Syl
Old 01 May 2010, 09:41 PM

I wasn't there, so I heard nothing. I do find it interesting, however, that given that you couldn't toss a stick in the air without hitting a camera during those days, that nothing was found on tape. I would bet real money that every tape produced there has been gone over meticulously.

Distinguished people or no, they still had an agenda, as did their opposition. Does this mean no nutbag has ever thrown slurs at congressmen? Obviously not. The street opposition is hardly known for their polite discourse. But do I think there's no chance that congressmen might have heard what they wanted to hear? No.

Wonko
Old 01 May 2010, 11:29 PM

I seriously doubt that the Congressmen wanted to be called names.

I don't know if there were slurs called out then, either. However, if there were and were caught on tape, they were most likely caught by the very people who would stand to lose credibility if those slurs were reported, other protesters within the vicinity of those throwing slurs. I can definitely see how these protesters wouldn't come forward with evidence that other people protesting their same cause might be racist and homophobic.

Last edited by Ellestar; 01 May 2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01 May 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
I seriously doubt that the Congressmen wanted to be called names.
Yes, I can just imagine Clyburn and Lewis being nostalgic for the good ole' days when they were called that every day with a few beatings sprinkled in for good measure. I bet Frank and Rodriguez love having epithets screamed at them that when it doesn't happen they are disappointed and have to imagine it did.

Again, I'll have to go with the more believable source on this one.

P&LL, Syl
Old 02 May 2010, 03:17 AM

The spitting incident was caught on tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wYt9jee2U

About 1:23 in. There are a couple of points where it sure sounds like someone is yelling "nigger", but it's pretty loud and it's hard to tell.
Old 02 May 2010, 07:29 AM

The spitting seems like it was accidental. The guy wasn't at all sorry about having spit on him, though.