snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 04 April 2010, 10:31 AM

Sneeze H1N1 vaccine tax?

I recently talked to somebody who said that she had heard that "they" were going to tax or fine people who failed to get an H1N1 vaccine. She said she'd seen it on TV and she had proof "on [her] computer."

Can anyone guess as to the origin of this rumor? I haven't been able to find any news reports that might have provided the germ of truth for this idea.

Probably at some point taxes were mentioned in the same breath as H1N1, and some people connected the two.

Does anybody have any information on this?
Old 04 April 2010, 11:12 AM

I've found it. It's a Massachusetts emergency response bill that I think hasn't become law yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSOJo...eature=related
(text of bill: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/sena...02/st02028.htm )

I couldn't find it before because I was wrongly looking for something at the federal level. It's a bill passed by the Massachusetts senate for use in the case of a public health emergency, such as if H1N1 had turned out to be worse than it is. Fines do enter into it because there's fines for people who obstruct responses to a public health emergency. I'm not clear on whether the bill actually became law, though.

This is the MA legislative Web site's entry for the history of Senate bill 2028:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/186history/s02028.htm

I think this history indicates that the two houses of the MA legislature still haven't agreed on a version of the bill yet. Is that right?

Last edited by Mr. Billion; 04 April 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04 April 2010, 11:16 AM

I would chuck her a pen drive and ask her to copy this proof onto it for your review.

I wonder how "they" are going to police this. Do you get a certificate of vaccination if you get an H1N1 shot?

If so I suppose it might just work (though it is I am dubious given the larger population of the US that it's workable) that it could operate in the same way as our TV Licencing in which a database of every address that has a licence is kept, and periodically the computers spit out a list of every address that does not have one; an official then knocks on those doors and asks the householder to either produce the paper licence (sometimes a recently purchased licence doesn't show up on the database for a few days) or to demonstrate that they do not own a TV.

Other than the only other way I could fathom, which seems completely unfeasable for officials to knock on the door of every household and demand to see their certificate, and that of everyone in the house.

I suppose they could track where the vaccine supplies or ask doctors etc to supply details of how many vaccinations they have administered; then target areas with disproportionately low uptake to the population size.

ETA Never mind. While I was typing I see you torpedoed your friends rumour.