snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 June 2018, 02:33 AM

So far, having sex with multiple mistresses hasn't mattered. Most likely cheating on his taxes doesn't matter. He says shooting someone in the middle of NYC wouldn't matter and he's probably right about that. Maybe finding he has paid for multiple abortions of his many mistresses might make a difference.
Old 02 June 2018, 03:50 AM

Saying something nice about Obama?
Old 02 June 2018, 10:42 PM

Accepting Allah as the one true god, and Mohamad is his messenger!
Old 03 June 2018, 01:10 AM

Anything like that would be fake news, even if Trump himself said it.
Old 06 June 2018, 07:21 AM

United Kingdom Taking children into a pub in Scotland?

Dear British and especially Scottish snopsters,

I will be visiting Edinburgh in October with my family. Part of said family are two children, (then) aged 6 and 11.

Is it possible to take the children into a pub
  • during the day?
  • in the evening?
  • for a meal?
  • without consuming a meal?

The children will obviously be drinking softdrinks only, but the grown-ups might be consuming alcoholic beverages.

Does it depend on the type of pub? Is it a question of "lounge area" vs. "bar area" within the premesis?

And while I'm asking: Can you recommend any family-friendly sights or activities "off the beaten tracks" in Edinburgh? My SO and I have been there before, but the children haven't. We'll be there only for 2 1/2 days and have no car.

I was thinking of booking a German-language ghost tour here, can anybody comment on the company?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old 06 June 2018, 10:41 AM

It does depend on the type of pub or the individual pub to an extent, but it should be obvious which ones are "family friendly". Some have signs to say so, others might have signs saying "no children".

Most pubs won't have signs up, but generally if it has a garden and does food it will probably be OK for children. There are a lot of carvery-style places that specifically go for family business. Country pubs or pubs with a big garden will sometimes have children's playground equipment in there.

There used to be a law that children under 14 weren't allowed in the bar area, but I'm not sure if that still applies. Sometimes the "bar area" meant a specific room, and children were allowed in the "saloon" or these days the restaurant area. Other times, there was an actual area a few feet wide around the bar that children weren't meant to be in.

I don't know Edinburgh so I can't give any suggestions, and I suppose my tips about country pubs won't be very useful, but Wetherspoons (the pub chain) has a lot of pubs everywhere and those are OK for children during the day.

For your specific questions, it comes down to the pub, really. All of those things are legally allowed. Some pubs that are child-friendly during the day (Wetherspoons!) might get rowdier in the evenings and some may have a policy that cuts off children at any particular point. I don't think Wetherspoons does that as a general policy, though.

You should be OK just using common sense, really. If there are people smashing glasses over each other's heads at the bar (I've read Trainspotting - I know what Edinburgh's like) then you might want to avoid those places!
Old 06 June 2018, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Richard! You saying that "all of those things are legally allowed" answers my main question (while I understand that YANAL).

Given that we will stay in the touristy areas of Edinburgh, I doubt there will be people smashing glasses (apart maybe from my kids - but not over each others heads).
Old 06 June 2018, 03:46 PM

United Kingdom

We were in the UK last May and this February and we took our 2-year-old in to a variety of pubs (gastro pubs, locals, chains) for a variety of reasons (having a meal, just having a drink, etc.) and we never had any issues. I think some places will kick them out after a certain time though (say, 9pm?) Our guy was always in bed by this time, so I can't say for sure.
Old 06 June 2018, 04:29 PM

I just returned from the workplace vending machine. While I was getting some cookies, I noticed that a bag of Cheetos was sitting rather crookedly in its slot. [diagonally in relation to the coil] What are the chances of the Cheetos actually falling to the bottom should someone choose that number? I say slim and none.
Luckily, there is another row of Cheetos in the machine.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:28 PM

It seems like newer vending machines like the ones where I work have a way of detecting whether or not the product has fallen, and if it hasn't it will rotate the coil some more until it does. So I say the chances are pretty good if it's a relatively new machine.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:41 PM

Since the advent of keyless ignitions, have there been any cars with their Start/Stop buttons in quirky or otherwise unusual locations?
Old 06 June 2018, 05:51 PM

You mean like how Saab used to put the ignition down on the center console, by the gearshift, except involving buttons rather than keys?
Old 06 June 2018, 06:13 PM

I think it would be fun to have the start button on the outside, maybe somewhere near the passenger-side door handle.
Old 06 June 2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Thanks, Richard! You saying that "all of those things are legally allowed" answers my main question (while I understand that YANAL).
By coincidence I was reading this article called "The new rules of pub etiquette" and thought you might find it either helpful, or terrifying and totally off-putting:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...al-the-glasses

I'm not sure why it's called "new" - some of it could have been written by a slightly grumpy old man in the 1970s who resented "outsiders" coming in but was trying to be nice. Most of it's just common sense and basic humanity. Anyway... it mentions children, in the context of telling people to put up with them. That doesn't mean that everybody in the pub will resent your children, as the article (accidentally) implies...!

I wouldn't take it too seriously unless you're planning to hang around in packed bars towards closing time, myself...

Last edited by Richard W; 06 June 2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07 June 2018, 05:48 AM

Richard, we're reading the same newspaper (which is interesting, with us living i different countries)! I spottet that article yesterday when checking the Guardian website and quoted the bit about children to my wife. Thanks nonetheless!

With your and Beejtronic's assurance and the article, I'm pretty confident that we'll have no problems. Time to book a table at the "Conan Doyle", then!

Now I only need those secret tips from the locals about where to go and what to see. We used to have Scottish snopsters - where are they gone?
Old 07 June 2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
You mean like how Saab used to put the ignition down on the center console, by the gearshift, except involving buttons rather than keys?
Yes. Or how Porsche (still?) put the ignition on the left side of the steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I think it would be fun to have the start button on the outside, maybe somewhere near the passenger-side door handle.
The impetus for this question was the thought that Aston Martin should put the button under a flip-up cover on top of the shift lever, a la James Bond.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:53 PM

Continuing the vehicle theme, do all American semi trucks use vertical smokestacks for their exhaust? I just learned the other day that European trucks don't; they simply have a pipe that comes out the side, the same as a van or pickup truck. When I commented on how this differs from American trucks someone else questioned whether they all actually do have vertical smokestacks, and suggested that the ones that do have them were installed as aftermarket accessories by their owner-operators as opposed to being standard equipment. I had always thought they all had them. In fact I sort of assumed that there was some regulation that required them.
Old 07 June 2018, 04:40 PM

They aren't required by federal law. (This CFR (pdf) talks about vertical or horizontal exhaust stacks for trucks or truck trailers.) But it is probably easier to use vertical exhaust so you don't have to worry about the exhaust contaminating the load carried in the trailer.
Old 12 June 2018, 03:19 PM

My own Stupid Question:

If Evita spills a glass of milk, is it okay to cry?
Old 12 June 2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
My own Stupid Question:

If Evita spills a glass of milk, is it okay to cry?
It's always been OK for anyone to cry for Evita, except for Argentina, and I'm pretty sure that rule still holds.

However, I think that Evita had excepted herself from the original request, but the milk thing specifically exempts her from crying in that particular circumstance.