snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 09 February 2018, 07:37 PM

IIRC, my daughter said there was little or not scrutiny of her cat. I know it didn't take her long to pass security -- when she called to tell me she was at the gate, it was so soon after I dropped her off that I was afraid something had gone wrong and she wouldn't be able to fly.
Old 09 February 2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
When animals are brought through airport security, how are they screened? Do they have to be taken from their carriers? Would a dog with a vest go through the metal detector and then be patted down?
The article about the hamster in the emotional support peacock thread has a part about TSA. TSA said the hamster was welcome to pass through security. Its container would go through x-ray and it would be carried through a detector by the owner.

I'm not sure what they would do with an animal that the owner might not want to take out of its enclosure, like a cat. I would guess they would hand screen the kennel and cat combo.
Old 09 February 2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The BBC's got a little video up at the moment called "Why do the British drive on the left?" but I don't know if it will be visible to you non-license-payers outside the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...ve-on-the-left
Saw that this morning so it can be seen by some outside the UK. Of course, it may still not be visible to the rest of the US if BBC thinks like many, that New Mexico is not a part of the United States.

ETA: See One of Our 50 is Missing https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...ssing-2-87394/
Old 09 February 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not sure what they would do with an animal that the owner might not want to take out of its enclosure, like a cat.
Both times we flew with our cat, we had to take him out of the carrier and carry him through the metal detector while the carrier went through the x-ray machine. From what I've heard, it's pretty common for airports to require this.
Old 09 February 2018, 10:26 PM

That would be a good reason not to even consider flying with some cats. I've had some that would have reacted pretty strongly to being held in an environment like that.
Old 09 February 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
IIRC, my daughter said there was little or not scrutiny of her cat. I know it didn't take her long to pass security -- when she called to tell me she was at the gate, it was so soon after I dropped her off that I was afraid something had gone wrong and she wouldn't be able to fly.
We brought a cat on an international flight back to the United States and the pet screening at the origination point was minimal. The security team looked at the cage, looked at the cat through the cage and put a sticker on the container and then we went back to the check-in counter and checked the animal and cage.

When we arrived at Washington Dulles, we cleared immigrations and customs and put our luggage on the belt for reloading for our continuation flight, but before we left the area, we found our cat being held by TSA for screening. Well, this was a behind the scenes area and they asked me to hold the cat while they checked the cage.

What I thought was more interesting was that no one looked at any of the import/export and medical documentation on the cage.
Old 10 February 2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
That would be a good reason not to even consider flying with some cats. I've had some that would have reacted pretty strongly to being held in an environment like that.
You'd absolutely have to have the cat in a very good harness with leash attached, or the cat might become impossible to hang on to, and get loose and lost in the airport. And the person holding the cat, as well as anybody else within the cat's reach, could easily get badly scratched and/or bitten. Many cats would be utterly terrified, and some of them will lash out in panic.

I'm really glad that the one time I flew with cats was before there was anywhere near this sort of security.

And what about cats that are shipped as cargo? Do they have strangers taking the cats out of carriers in the luggage area? That sounds even more like asking for trouble.
Old 10 February 2018, 03:06 AM

I've owned several cats which went from docile to unmanageable when the wrong situation presented itself. We had an incident with my daughter's cat in the waiting room at the vet's which I couldn't imagine how badly it would have played out in security. And the cat was in a harness and held safely in my arms when it all started.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:30 AM

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
How is the set-up in other left-drivinh countries?
Usually on the left but not always. (Sometimes they move automatically so one has to pay attention to the signs.) The side to stand on, by the way, differs by place. Osaka is right, Tokyo left, everywhere else it's best to just do what everyone else is. (I was brought up to never stand on an escalator so I can't understand either. And, no, I do not believe this UL about subways in LA. Unless we're talking about sandwiches. That I believe.)
Old 10 February 2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I Germany, when there are two escalators next to each other, one going up, one going down, they are set up so that the one going in your direction is on the right. At least the is true for public transport, escalators in department stores are different.
On the tube (London Underground) the one going your way is always (or usually) on the left, I think. It had never occurred to me that there was a convention before, but now that you mention it, certainly the stations that I'm most familiar with and can picture without looking them up have the direction-of-travel on the left. I've never been to Glasgow so I don't know what theirs is like.

As you say, department stores are different - I don't think there's any convention there besides what the architect or store designer chose.
Old 10 February 2018, 02:24 PM

We recently bought a new car and, like most people I guess, we financed it. My stupid question - I noticed a lot of cars for sale that were 2016 and 2017 that were used. Do a lot of people trade in year old cars that are still under financing? Wouldn't you lose money doing that or is there something obvious going on that I'm missing since we drive our cars to death before we buy a new one?
Old 10 February 2018, 02:29 PM

They are probably either fleet cars or leases. There are people who lease a new car every year or two.
Old 10 February 2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
(I was brought up to never stand on an escalator so I can't understand either. And, no, I do not believe this UL about subways in LA.
It's my distinct impression that the original idea of escalators was specifically so that they did the work for you; and that people used to be told, years ago, not to walk on them (except of course to get on and off), but to stand still. It's possible that that last is a recollection of what I was taught as a small child, and that it might have been because I was a small child; but I'm still not sure I see the point. If everybody's going to walk anyway, why not just have stairs? Stairs don't break down, they're safer to walk on, they don't use power, and they've got to be a lot cheaper to build. Is it just a matter of thinking that everybody must be moving as fast as possible at all times?
Old 10 February 2018, 02:55 PM

Whalephant

Or rental cars. My last two cars have been former rental cars.
Old 10 February 2018, 05:01 PM

Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
We recently bought a new car and, like most people I guess, we financed it. My stupid question - I noticed a lot of cars for sale that were 2016 and 2017 that were used. Do a lot of people trade in year old cars that are still under financing? Wouldn't you lose money doing that or is there something obvious going on that I'm missing since we drive our cars to death before we buy a new one?
Maybe repossessions, too.
Old 10 February 2018, 05:51 PM

Baseball

I know a lot of people that lease cars and exchange them annually, or at least every 2 years.

And not all of these people are business people that get the benefit of claiming expenses.

ETA: spanked by Beachlife. That is what I get when I don't read all the responses to a question.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
and that people used to be told, years ago, not to walk on them (except of course to get on and off), but to stand still.
I don't think I've ever been told to only stand on an escalator, at least as an adult. If anything I've been told to make sure my shoes are tied more often than to stand still. As you say it might be something kids get told.
Old 10 February 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
If everybody's going to walk anyway, why not just have stairs?
IME, not everybody walks. People who want to ride, ride. People who want to walk, walk.

Quote:
Is it just a matter of thinking that everybody must be moving as fast as possible at all times?
No, I don't think it is. I think escalators are built for convenience. Some people use that convenience to save energy by riding; others use that convenience to make the trip more quickly than they could by walking up stairs.

I walk fast. That's my natural speed, and the one at which I'm comfortable (barring injury or illness). I respect other people's right to move at their own pace; I don't bully them or dog their heels. I wish people would stop assuming that I'm rushing just because I'm moving fast. I don't understand why anyone cares why I'm walking fast; I don't spend time thinking about why slower-walking people are walking slower. It's NOMB.

ETA: I do spend time wishing some of them would move to the right, instead of walking down the middle of the sidewalk, so I can get past them and continue walking at a pace that **I** find comfortable. :-)
Old 11 February 2018, 12:09 AM

So "flue" doesn't mean blue fur? Asking for a friend.
Old 11 February 2018, 03:31 AM

Lainie, I was responding mostly to ganzfeld's post, which read to me rather as if nobody ought to stand on escalators.