snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 03 January 2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Funny. Lack of capitalization in the titles of other threads annoys me.
I don't know if it's an official rule (although I don't know if anyone really moderates this board anymore anyway), but snopes did once say that "headline" style titles with every word capitalized should only be used when posting news articles:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=64507

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes
Also, headline-style subject lines (i.e., ones in which the initial letter of every word is capitalized) should be reserved for the posting of news stories:

BAD: I'm Having Problems With My Youngest Daughter
GOOD: I'm having problems with my youngest daughter
GOOD: Wandering Goat in Missouri Gets Facebook Fan Page
Old 03 January 2018, 09:33 PM

On retail folks not understanding dates: we once tried to return a pair of pants at a store with a 90 day refund policy. The girl at the cash told us we couldn't return them, because it had been longer than 3 months. I said, "No, we bought them June 12th." And she said, "Exactly. June, July, August. Three months." (It was mid-August.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
1. My co-workers send OOTO calendar items with reminders on them. I don't need a reminder 15 minutes before Horatio leaves for his afternoon off.
Can't you decline them?
Old 04 January 2018, 01:49 AM

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I don't know if it's an official rule (although I don't know if anyone really moderates this board anymore anyway), but snopes did once say that "headline" style titles with every word capitalized should only be used when posting news articles:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=64507
Nice try. Everyone knows that the snopes is a mythical character like the snipe or the Marlon Brando. Why else do you think they named a web page about urban legends after it? I should know: I've been around.
Old 04 January 2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
On retail folks not understanding dates: we once tried to return a pair of pants at a store with a 90 day refund policy. The girl at the cash told us we couldn't return them, because it had been longer than 3 months. I said, "No, we bought them June 12th." And she said, "Exactly. June, July, August. Three months." (It was mid-August.) Can't you decline them?
Let me guess, the outcome was that you asked to see a manager, the manager correctly processed the return but the cashier was still convinced she was right and assumed the manager only agreed with you to be amenable.
Old 04 January 2018, 12:43 PM

I contacted my library about the reserve issue, and I'm very pleased with their response. They manually created both requests. I was the only requester for one, so it's ready for pickup. The other does have a queue, but because I was able to tell them the date and approximate time I submitted it (I posted about the book club on FB), they were able to place me in the queue based on that. And the guy who helped me has asked their help desk to research the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Can't you decline them?
Sure, but I want their absences to show up on my calendar -- I just don't want a reminder to pop up about them. I only want reminders for things I need to take action on. So I accept the notices, and then go in and take off the reminders.

We just converted to Outlook in 2016, and there are a lot of employees who've been at this employer for their whole careers, and so had only used Lotus Notes (ugh). Some of them still don't know Outlook very well, and may not know how to turn off reminders when they create meetings.
Old 04 January 2018, 02:24 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Depending on how strict you want to interpret things, no typical Christmas decoration is Christian. The standard Nativity scene with both shepherds and wise men does not match any biblical scripture and is countered by Matthew 2.
But I love the mantle top creche I ordered from Amazon. I wanted to keep it up longer, but certain cats kept eyeing it. Won't mention any names, Steely Dan! I swear, he did that to annoy me! Stinker!
Old 04 January 2018, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Lainie, you can turn off the reminders yourself (even on their postings). Open the appointment and then click "options". I use that all the time to change the default 15 minute reminder window.

Not the optimal solution, but at least A solution.

Seaboe
Old 04 January 2018, 02:33 PM

Yes, that's what I do. I think you missed a sentence of my last post.
Old 04 January 2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
But I love the mantle top creche I ordered from Amazon.
Nothing wrong with that, you can have a manger scene with Yoda and a DeLorean if you like. I was just making the point that very little of Christmas decorating is solely Christian in origin.
Old 04 January 2018, 04:21 PM

A friend of mine has a Halloween manger which she keeps on display all year round.
Old 04 January 2018, 05:28 PM

"And the angel of the Lord said unto them, 'Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.' "
Old 07 January 2018, 12:27 AM

Angie's List doesn't allow you to change you email address in your account details page. Their FAQ says to send a message to their support team if you need to update your email address. But their contact form doesn't allow the use of the @ symbol, so I can't actually type my email address in the form. I had to resort to typing (at) instead.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:24 AM

The title of this new thread has every word capitalized (Title Case?). This is different from the old thread, and doesn't fit the unspoken board convention of only capitalizing the first word of the title! It's jarring to see it in the list, and it annoys me!

On the other hand, I like things that are self-referential, so perhaps that makes up for it.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:59 AM

Baseball

I am travelling today. And I had breakfast at Toronto airport. A coffee and omelette cost $24. That is not the issue.

I had no tip flexibility. I was paying by debit. I inserted my card into the terminal. Accepted the $24 cost for breakfast. Next screen has 3 tip options: 20, 25 or 30%.

No option to vary that at all.

If service is poor, they are getting 20%. And that is the high end for typical Canadian tips.
Old 15 January 2018, 12:20 PM

I have a tipping annoyance as well. At the place where I get my hair cut you used to be able to add the tip if you used a debit or credit card. For some reason they've stopped doing that so I have to remember to have some cash on me when I go. I'm sure though what is a little annoyance for me is a big annoyance for the hairdressers who probably are missing out on tips because, let's face it, lots of people are like me nowadays and rarely have any "real" money on them.
Old 15 January 2018, 02:21 PM

A place where I once went to had a weird tipping calculator. You could do the percentage or put in your own amount, but if you were to do that, it would automatically calculate the total sum, instead of waiting for you to put in the tip amount and hitting enter.
As example, if your total (before tip) would be $46.78 and you would want to tip 13.22 to make it a nice even number, once you hit the 1 it would calculate a 1 cent tip, giving you a total of 46.79. Hitting the 3 it would recalculate for a 13 cent tip, giving you a total of 46.91 and so on. A tad confusing, in my opinion.
Old 15 January 2018, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I had no tip flexibility. I was paying by debit. I inserted my card into the terminal. Accepted the $24 cost for breakfast. Next screen has 3 tip options: 20, 25 or 30%.
So it's deliberately set up so that you can't refuse to tip via card?

I sometimes tip in cash, and write "in cash" or "on table" in the tip line of the receipt.

Seaboe
Old 15 January 2018, 08:22 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I am travelling today. And I had breakfast at Toronto airport. A coffee and omelette cost $24. That is not the issue.

No option to vary that at all.

If service is poor, they are getting 20%. And that is the high end for typical Canadian tips.
On most machines where I see that, I just hit the "OK" button and it moves me along to the next screen. Did they take that option away? That would suck.
Old 16 January 2018, 11:08 AM

When I had my internship, I woke up at the same time every day, did a full day of fulfilling, meaningful work, and came home pretty exhausted. The upside was I almost always had a good night's sleep- going to bed around the same time, waking up naturally before my alarm, and actually feeling rested in the morning.

Now that I'm just doing day-to-day temp work, my sleep hygiene is pretty poor and I've spent a lot of nights like last night feeling like I never make it all the way to a deeper part of a sleep cycle- as if the whole night is just bizarre and exhausting dreams punctuated by periods of rolling around and trying to fall back asleep. I'm usually physically rested but mentally tired still.

I hope most of this will go away once I get back to a daily routine with more regular work.
Old 16 January 2018, 01:55 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
On most machines where I see that, I just hit the "OK" button and it moves me along to the next screen. Did they take that option away? That would suck.
It was not an option on the screen, but might have been there.
Closed Thread