snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 November 2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I think the first of those is still ambiguous.
Maybe, but if someone were to say that to me, the lack of reference to another person would lead me to assume that they meant my right.

Quote:
The second, of course, relies on the person you're saying it to knowing which person in the picture is Lynn; at least, if both of them are in the middle of a larger group.
I guess I didn't think it necessary to explain this, but if I thought they didn't know who Lynn was, I wouldn't try to explain who someone else was by using that person's position relative to Lynn. :-) Nor would I recommend doing so.

ETA: And I was offering examples. I didn't meant to suggest that I had come up with the ultimate solution to the problem in question.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:16 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I don't like coffee, but I love the smell of it...go fig.
Coffee, oranges and cigars are the three things I have discovered have considerably different scents when compared to the taste. I like all three smells, but only the taste of two.
Old 30 November 2017, 09:55 PM

Which don't you like the taste of, out of interest?

I do quite like a decent cigar, both the smell and the taste, although I've not had one for some time. (Liking cigars is a minor confession in itself...) Cheaper ones tend to be nasty, and even the more expensive ones make me smell and cough the next day, and I have the impression they're probably not terribly good for me, so it's a couple of years since I've smoked one.

I don't actively dislike coffee... and I agree that it often smells better than it tastes.

For me, I suppose of the three things you mention, oranges would be the one that I would like least on an average day (and in an ideal world where none of them are bad for you). But I like the taste better than the smell, in that case. I used to be mildly allergic to the smell of oranges and they'd bring me out in a sweat - either that has passed, or oranges have become milder.

And having said that, a good breakfast would probably still include orange juice and a cup of coffee - and not a cigar. Actually, an ideal breakfast would have the orange juice mixed with champagne. I would save the cigar until afterwards. Maybe I was Winston Churchill in a previous life, or something.
Old 30 November 2017, 11:17 PM

Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I do quite like a decent cigar, both the smell and the taste
I tried a Cuban cigar once, supposedly a good one according to others in the group who claimed to be cigar lovers, just because that's what one does in Cuba. My minor confession is that I really didn't see what the big deal is about them. To me it just tasted like, well, smoke. I do like the smell, though.
Old 01 December 2017, 12:11 AM

Baseball

I don't like the taste of cigar. No sir.

As for another minor confession...

My favourite luncheon meat is bologna (followed quickly by macaroni and cheese loaf). I love it in sandwiches, but specifically, I love bologna steak. My favourite part is when it is cooking and it does the shapeshifting only it can do. Then I flip it and it tries to shape shift the other way. It's always a thrill.

I can't get enough of it. But in our modern, avoiding processed foods environment, bologna steak is not something admits to liking in mixed company.
Old 01 December 2017, 12:16 AM

I like the smell of certain stinkbugs.
Old 01 December 2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
My minor confession is that I really didn't see what the big deal is about them. To me it just tasted like, well, smoke. I do like the smell, though.
For me it depends on the strength. I like the milder ones.

A few years ago I bought a small selection of different strengths to try out; the stronger ones were too much for me at the time, but I think it may be the sort of thing where after a while you become numb to some of the flavours and need an ever-increasing intensity to recapture the enjoyment. Like foods with chilli, perhaps.

And cheap cigars that I've had tend to be dry and rather harsh.

I do understand why people enjoy smoking good-quality tobacco, though. Which, as I said, is not something one is supposed to admit to these days, and so counts as a confession.
Old 01 December 2017, 01:39 PM

I use Amazon's list of shipping addresses as my address book.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Coffee, oranges and cigars are the three things I have discovered have considerably different scents when compared to the taste. I like all three smells, but only the taste of two.
I used to love unpacking the cigarette order at the store where I worked. Especially, when there was pipe tobacco in it. Only time they smell nice.

Also love the smell of orange, but not in an enclosed space (don't like eating them, but will eat as an ingredient or fresh juice). The enclosed space comes from school. Small elementary school, no cafeteria. In the afternoon, the classroom inevitably smelled like oranges from the peels in the garbage. Brother and sister went to the same school and have the same dislike.

Like the smell of coffee, hate the taste.
Old 01 December 2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I don't like the taste of cigar. No sir.

As for another minor confession...

My favourite luncheon meat is bologna (followed quickly by macaroni and cheese loaf). I love it in sandwiches, but specifically, I love bologna steak. My favourite part is when it is cooking and it does the shapeshifting only it can do. Then I flip it and it tries to shape shift the other way. It's always a thrill.

I can't get enough of it. But in our modern, avoiding processed foods environment, bologna steak is not something admits to liking in mixed company.
I like bologna steak too, nice and thick, and slathered in mustard...
Old 01 December 2017, 06:18 PM

Baseball

Mustard is good. Honey mustard is better. Heinz 57 BBQ sauce is king. Especially when fried in it. mmmmmmmmmm
Old 01 December 2017, 07:22 PM

Glasses

I think that you two, UEL and Alarm, would both have liked it the way my father made it -- he fried the bologna with onions and served the slab (convex side up) on toast. I added mayonnaise. My mother liked hers with sauerkraut.

minor confession: now I want a fried bologna sandwich.
Old 01 December 2017, 07:50 PM

Two childhood comfort foods: 1) Fried bologna and 2) Gravy bread.

BW
Old 01 December 2017, 07:59 PM

Mmmmm, gravy bread. One of the three best parts of Thanksgiving (the others being pumpkin pie and turkey sandwiches (hot or cold) ).
Old 01 December 2017, 09:45 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I think that you two, UEL and Alarm, would both have liked it the way my father made it -- he fried the bologna with onions and served the slab (convex side up) on toast. I added mayonnaise. My mother liked hers with sauerkraut.
Sounds delicious. I'd ask for the recipe, but fried bologna with onions, served convex side up on toast is the recipe.

I am travelling for business for the next week, but the weekend of the 9th, lookout... I'm buying bologna!
Old 01 December 2017, 09:49 PM

What happens if you serve it concave side up?
Old 01 December 2017, 10:30 PM

Glasses

The onions and onion juice concentrate at the bottom of the concavity and you don't get the yumminess spread evenly.

One can cut a slash into the bologna and make it look like a proto-PacMan to keep it flat.... but that's no fun.
Old 01 December 2017, 11:44 PM

Cigarettes and dope and mustard and bologna, liquor and whooooooores
Old 02 December 2017, 12:47 AM

Mouse

Whenever my period is slow to arrive, I start to wonder if Iím pregnant, even though itís very unlikely that Iíd be chosen to serve as a new vessel for a virgin birth.
Old 02 December 2017, 02:00 AM

It's funny; I used to be so paranoid about pregnancy--until I actually got pregnant. Granted, my abortion was no day at the spa, but it turns out nothing is so awful as the amorphous fear that had a grip on me all those years. I still don't want to get pregnant, and I take reasonable precautions to avoid it, but I no longer worry about it.