snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 09 May 2018, 05:20 AM

He was no one's first choice, but everyone's second choice?
Old 11 May 2018, 10:51 PM

This is a stupid question, I suppose, but needs some background... As I mentioned a while ago, I spilled something on my laptop keyboard which messed up the keyboard itself, so I've been using a separate wireless keyboard. The laptop works fine apart from that and I don't want to get a new one yet.

The behaviour of the laptop keys themselves has changed a bit since the spillage, as it's dried out or whatever dodgy connections had formed have broken again. Originally the top row of number keys and some of the letters were being detected as more than one key press (the number and the key below); then for a while it was as though the shift key was intermittently stuck down - which was annoying, as if the laptop thought shift was stuck down, it messed up the wireless keyboard too - and also kept asking if I wanted to turn on "sticky keys" because that's what holding down shift does, apparently. For a week or so it was hard to type anything at all, and especially passwords when I couldn't see what was going on. Hammering a few times on the shift keys or turning caps lock on and off seemed to help. But that's sorted itself out now. Now it just seems that the laptop's number keys and some of the letters on the top left don't work at all, but the wireless keyboard is fine.

But for some reason, this doesn't apply on the Windows lock screen, in particular the password box. I always have to type the password four or five times before it's accepted (I use shift in my passwords), even though I'm typing it in exactly the same way each time. Also the "sticky keys" dialogue sometimes appears on that screen as well, but never anywhere else. And I don't have this trouble with any passwords once I've managed to log in to Windows.

So the stupid question is, why? Is it possible for the shift key input to somehow be more sensitive on the Windows lock screen than it is anywhere else? In general, it no longer thinks shift is stuck down - I can type (using my wireless keyboard) with no problems here. But the password field on that one screen still behaves as if it's getting incorrect input three or four times out of five, and the only thing I can think of is that it detects a shift in the wrong places.

Is there anything else that might make Windows reject the right password three times in a row before accepting it? Until recently I'd just put it down to the dodgy keyboard, but it's persisted even though the other symptoms have gone away, which is starting to seem odd.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:27 PM

Glasses

I've had this exact problem, Richard W, except mine was coffee.

I had the same log-in screen password problem, too. It turns out that the touchpad isn't disabled until you're logged in and my typing on the plugged in keyboard was causing the touchscreen to mess up my password.

I got around it by using the "Ease of Access" button on the log in screen and turning on the on-screen keyboard. I used that application to log in. You might try that because even if it isn't the touchscreen, the onscreen keyboard would allow you to log in without either of your physical keyboards.

Good luck.

Morning
Old 11 May 2018, 11:54 PM

Ah, OK. Thanks. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with the touchpad (I don't generally use it) but if that's something that behaves differently before logging in, then it could easily be affecting the input, as you say. I'll try that next time I need to log in... thanks.
Old 12 May 2018, 07:50 AM

Ha ha, it turns out that whatever's messing up the input in the password box also makes the buttons you're talking about unresponsive to clicks - unless that's just that the computer is taking five minutes or so to wake up these days. Anyway, at least I can still get in eventually.

I wish Windows still came with simple diagnostic tools so that you could see where the physical inputs were coming from... I'm sure there used to be a little tool somewhere that showed you which keyboard, mouse buttons and so on it thought were being pressed at the time. At least they're freely available on-line:

http://www.keyboardtester.com/

(No mouse or trackpad input on that one though). According to that, there's no dubious input from the keyboard when I'm not pressing keys (which I knew since I can now type without it thinking shift is being held down), and the right shift on my laptop doesn't work at all.

And there's dxdiag on Windows, although that only checks the drivers and isn't reporting any problems. I'll keep looking...
Old 12 May 2018, 08:20 AM

Can you disable the keyboard and trackpad you aren't using? In device management
Old 12 May 2018, 08:38 AM

I'm not sure there's a way to disable the whole keyboard, but I just chose the option to disable the trackpad when another mouse / "pointing device" is plugged in, so I'll find out if that helps next time I need to log in, I suppose...
Old 12 May 2018, 10:07 AM

No

I'm sorry my suggestion didn't help, Richard W.

I ended up getting my whole keyboard replaced at a repair shop. I hope that you find a better and less costly solution!

M
Old 12 May 2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
From Windows 10 Settings, select Time & Language. From there choose Region & Language. If your Country or Region is set to something other than United States, this might be why the machine is stubbornly trying to force you to use German. Check the display language as well and make sure it says English (United States).

If that doesn't work... use the hammer.
I think I'll go with the hammer. I have the idea (I haven't checked my computer) that Country/Region is set to Switzerland, as U.S. forces the week to start on Sunday, and here the week starts on Monday.

And it could be I'm not allowed to change such things since our IT department has many things blocked. I talk to the IT department a lot, since I am the issue collector for a set of software tools. So I tend to suck it up for other things, because the German/English issue is just annoying. I don't depend on the spellcheck for English. I am certain I make mistakes but most of the time, I am typing in English and the receiver speaks English as a second, third (or even fourth language).
Old 12 May 2018, 11:58 PM

Glasses

Good choice, Die Capacitrix.

I'm starting to think that would be the best solution for Richard W, as well.

I tried to do some more research today to find out how to help him, but the closer I got to BIOS settings and BCDEdit.exe and other mystical and fantastical beasties, the more I come to the hammer.

The BIOS and boot loader settings would be the place to start if one had the knowledge, because if he could make the USB ports load before the on-board physical ports, then the rescue keyboard would take priority over the on-board keyboard.... maybe.

Or he could rip off the on-board keys that are causing the input issues with a sharpened screwdriver while screaming in pseudo-Klingon.... *

Good luck, y'all!

*Not really a suggestion!! Except maybe the yelling in Klingon.
Old 13 May 2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that would be the best solution for Richard W, as well.
Well it certainly would be, except I scoped out some prices for the spec I'd want as a replacement and it's 500 - 600 that I don't want to spend at the moment! A few weeks ago when I was having trouble with typing in general, I'd resigned myself to the cost, and would actually have bought one if it had been in stock on the day when I was looking, as I needed it for something the next day. (As it is, I'd have had to order it and it wouldn't have arrived in time for the thing I needed it for, so I had to try to get on with the one I had).

But now it's only the password screen that's causing problems I'm hoping to get away with this one for a bit longer...
Old 14 May 2018, 02:11 AM

I tried a number of solutions at one point to try to get the numlock key to be on by default on the login screen in Windows 10. It turned out to be inordinately complicated. One of the reasons is that quick boot affects what is loaded at the time you get to the login screen.

It may be worth trying to turn quick boot off and see if that helps. It may not help directly, but it may be necessary to do it for any other solution (like disabling the built-in keyboard) to work.
Old 17 May 2018, 03:46 PM

In the original Star Wars movie, which way is the Death Star's exhaust port facing - is it on the surface of the trench, facing upwards, or is it on a wall at the end of the trench, facing in the direction of the attacking fighters? The Death Star plans suggest it's on the trench floor... but they also infamously show the superlaser dish in the wrong place. The images from Red Leader's targeting computer suggest he's flying straight at his target. The one video game I'm aware of that depicts the Death Star attack (X-Wing) has the exhaust port on a wall... but that may have been due to gameplay or technical reasons. And the shots of the exhaust port itself in the movie give little in the way of context. Thoughts?
Old 17 May 2018, 04:18 PM

The shot that Luke takes that destroys the Death Star shows the torpedoes making a right angle turn down to enter the port. Since he was flying along the surface, that would mean the exhaust port faces out.

https://youtu.be/KuKqcfO31is?t=107

ETA: Presumably there was something above it, otherwise they could have just flown right at it instead of having to make the trench run.
Old 17 May 2018, 05:19 PM

Driver

I remember there was an arcade game some time ago that simulated the trench and port just like in the movie - port facing upward, not on a wall. I thought it was designed very well because it always seemed to work better if you relaxed in a "use the force" way before hitting the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Presumably there was something above it, otherwise they could have just flown right at it instead of having to make the trench run.
Or they had to do it this way because the (probably small but nonetheless present) gravitational pull of the Death Star would have made a straight-on attack suicide. Of course the Death Star has lots of nonsensical artificial gravity at right angles and could theoretically dampen the real gravity, and people did die on the mission, but that's probably overthinking the situation.
Old 17 May 2018, 05:38 PM

Stupid question: If I take two standard tea bags and put one in 8 ounces of water and the other in 12 ounces of water, assuming all other variables are equal (water temperature, steeping time, etc.), will both cups contain the same total amount of caffeine with the larger one just being more diluted than the smaller one?
Old 17 May 2018, 05:50 PM

I would think that the larger cup would have very slightly more caffeine because of saturation - the more saturated the liquid, the less of the solid can be absorbed. For all practical purposes, it would be the same.
Old 17 May 2018, 06:27 PM

I'm in agreement with the doctor.
Old 17 May 2018, 06:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
If this doesn't work, go to your Windows 10 Settings function, then select Devices. Click on Typing.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have turned off everything except highlighting misspelled words (because clearly, if I can't spell them, I'd like to know).

Seaboe
Old 17 May 2018, 07:32 PM

This guy disagrees:
https://www.quora.com/Tea-Will-the-a...nt-of-caffeine
Quote:
If you drink the full amount, you will, for the two examples listed, assuming same/similar brew times, receive the same amount of caffeine for a given blend of tea.

The tea weight (grams) to water (milliliters) ratio for the typical package instructions, one teabag (2.2g) in 180 ml (6oz cup) of hot/boiling water, is not generally sensitive to variations in volume.