snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 12 November 2015, 06:50 PM

Judge Christy Natsis gets 5-year sentence for impaired, dangerous driving in 2011 crash

A Pembroke, Ont., dentist has been sentenced to five years in prison for impaired and dangerous driving causing death after a 2011 crash killed an Ottawa father.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...rash-1.3315363

After managing to drag the trial out for years she has finally been sentenced. What I don't understand though is how the judge could put her in prison for 5 years and impose a 4 year driving ban that is going to run concurrently with her sentence. Do prisoners get the chance to do much driving nowadays? Frankly despite giving her jail time doing that gives the message that our judicial system is still not taking drunk driving as seriously as it ought to be.
Old 12 November 2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
What I don't understand though is how the judge could put her in prison for 5 years and impose a 4 year driving ban that is going to run concurrently with her sentence. Do prisoners get the chance to do much driving nowadays? Frankly despite giving her jail time doing that gives the message that our judicial system is still not taking drunk driving as seriously as it ought to be.
Not that I'm agreeing with it and IANAL, but she'll be eligible for parole before the 5 years is up (and is there any pre-trial time in jail to apply?), so she won't be able to drive when she gets out. After 2/3 of the sentence she could be out.
Old 13 November 2015, 05:10 AM

Baseball

Depending upon the institution, she could be out in as little as 1 year, 8 months without taking into consideration her pre-trial custody as Sooeygun mentions.

Further, things like day parole etc could have her in the community too. She could also be released pending appeal (she can only appeal the detention, not the ban on driving).

But mostly, in Ontario, there are some serious mandatory sentences for DUI. And the judge was likely held with his/her hands tied when making that pronouncement. License ban comes from one piece of legislation (provincial) and the detention from another piece of legislation (federal). So, given that challenge, the ban and the detention would not synch nicely in all provinces.
Old 13 November 2015, 05:49 AM

My first question regarding this story is: "Why on Earth hasn't she changed her last name? Natsis? Seriously, what was she thinking?!?!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
What I don't understand though is how the judge could put her in prison for 5 years and impose a 4 year driving ban that is going to run concurrently with her sentence.
It makes it harder for her to escape, as shou would have to escape on foot.
Old 13 November 2015, 03:01 PM

I'm just glad she got more time than what the defence wanted.

Individuals do have the right to defend against charges, but the way her defence team went at it did not sit well with me, and the fact that she went out and broke her parole, buying booze after being charged with driving under the influence, just made her seem callous to me.

Old 13 November 2015, 03:12 PM

As Kelly Egan (a local reporter) put it she tried everything except admitting her guilt.
Old 23 November 2015, 06:00 AM

I don't know about US law, but here, if you lose your driver's license due to alcohol/drugs, you don't get it back automatically when the time is up. You'll have to do the test again.

So, if that applies in the US as well, she'd still have to re-take the test when she gets out.
Old 10 May 2018, 05:49 PM

Pembroke dentist Christy Natsis began serving her five-year prison term Monday, more than seven years after she killed a father of three while driving drunk.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-driving-death

Within the article it is pointed out that Natsis will be eligible for parole after serving a 1/3 of her sentence. So she managed to delay her day of reckoning for 7 years, got a 5 year sentence and will in all likelihood be out of jail within the next 2 years.