snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 16 December 2015, 06:38 PM

diddy,

I believe you inadvertently insulted male bovines. I suspect you meant to refer to a byproduct of male bovines.

BW
Old 16 December 2015, 07:12 PM

Cow

Yes, I was referring to said byproduct - I didn’t want to trigger the board curse trigger and was lazy. No insult to said bovines was intended.
Old 16 December 2015, 10:08 PM

Cow

For all the bovine manure he spews forth, he may as well shovel it!
Old 16 December 2015, 11:43 PM

This thread has become udder nonsense!
Old 17 December 2015, 12:57 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
For shame! Why would you lower a pig by comparing him to Donald Trump, Horse Chestnut???

Of course....
I join Diddy in being shocked and appalled. From what I've heard, a pig's intelligence is roughly on par with a dog's. Also, their reputation for filthiness is inaccurate: pigs generally have a part of their pen they make waste in and the rest of the time, they leave that part alone. Even baby pigs take care to use that part of the pen. And none of the pigs roll around in their own waste. The whole thing about them wallowing in mud is mostly because they don't have sweat glands so they have to cool off somehow.

Now do any of those pig factoids that I've just mentioned sound at all applicable to Donald Trump?
Old 17 December 2015, 01:02 AM

Pigs also have better hair.
Old 17 December 2015, 02:45 AM

Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
This thread has become udder nonsense!
Perhaps we should mooove (or better yet steer) back on task? I think we have chewed the cud on these jokes long enough...

I got it....
Old 02 May 2018, 02:52 PM

Exclusive: Bornstein claims Trump dictated the glowing health letter

I am shocked - shocked - to find out that Trump had a hand in writing that letter.
Old 02 May 2018, 03:07 PM

Aside from all else is doing something like this something that could cause a doctor to lose his licence to practice medicine?
Old 02 May 2018, 03:48 PM

Possible, but I would doubt it. Most of the reasons for having a license revoked are either things that could harm a patient, having felony convictions (especially drug or alcohol related), or for insurance fraud or falsifying medical records.

The last one might be the case for this, but as the letter was not an official part of Trump's medical record it might not count.
Old 02 May 2018, 05:37 PM

I saw a TV interview with the guy last night. I honestly think he might have been stoned.
Old 03 May 2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Aside from all else is doing something like this something that could cause a doctor to lose his licence to practice medicine?
I am not at all defending him*, and not condoning lying, but I don't think so. Pretty much what GenYus said.

Basically, even postulating that the guy lied, he did not lie to anyone at the same time that he lied to 320 million people. It was not an official anything.

If for example, he had written or signed this letter to defraud an insurance company, a government agency, or for an official job certification, disability claim, etc, he could face sanctions.

Any in those cases, probably not lose a license unless it was a pervasive and systematic thing. Just some sort of reprimand.

* I personally find his actions, and those of the would have been Sec of VA disgusting. Deplorable, if you will.

ETA: I suppose he could get in trouble for unprofessional conduct. It's obviously an unusual situation- if a doctor lies on behalf of a patient, it is usually not for a professional con artist running for president.

Last edited by Dr. Dave; 03 May 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03 May 2018, 05:33 PM

Sneeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I am shocked - shocked - to find out that Trump had a hand in writing that letter.
Yes, I know you and I had only positive* things to say about Trump before this.

Anyway, I doubt the guy could get in too much trouble if the letter - bizarre as it is - wasn't a flat out lie and wasn't used for fraudulent purposes.

----------------------------------------------
*In the "medical test was positive" sense.
Old 03 May 2018, 06:41 PM

Dr. Dave, some articles have mentioned that he wrote prescriptions for Trump under pseudonyms. I think this is fairly common for doctors of famous people, but at least one doctor recently was prosecuted for it. It seems like this could be a matter for discipline, right?

Another thing that was mentioned is that Trump was upset with him for revealing to the press that he prescribed Trump propecia for hair loss. Would that be a violation by revealing private medical information without permission?
Old 03 May 2018, 07:05 PM

Dr Bornstein says no:
Quote:
And it certainly was not a breach of medical trust to tell somebody they take Propecia to grow their hair.
So I'm going to play the safe bet and say that it is.
Old 03 May 2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Dr. Dave, some articles have mentioned that he wrote prescriptions for Trump under pseudonyms. I think this is fairly common for doctors of famous people, but at least one doctor recently was prosecuted for it. It seems like this could be a matter for discipline, right?
I am not familiar with the case you mention and TBH have not thought much about it, but my initial reaction is that it is potentially OK to use a pseudonym if it is solely to protect the anonymity of the patient in extraordinary circumstances (e.g. famous person, need to protect someones safety) and it is not for the purposes of defrauding insurance, misappropriating medication (especially controlled substances, but others as well) or evading government regulations (again, usually controlled substances). I might be wrong and it might run afoul of the law, but my opinion on the ethics is it is OK if it is a pseudonym, not a different real person, documented in the record under the real name, and meets the other criteria I listed.

Quote:
Another thing that was mentioned is that Trump was upset with him for revealing to the press that he prescribed Trump propecia for hair loss. Would that be a violation by revealing private medical information without permission?
Yes, it is a violation. Clearly Trump asked him to reveal some information, but that does not mean you can reveal everything to everyone. Having a celebrity patient does not mean you get to tell whatever you want to the press. It would depend on specifically Trump asked him to reveal and how.

My guess is that all Trump asked him to do was to sign a letter that was either dictated to or written for him.
Old 03 May 2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Clearly Trump asked him to reveal some information, but that does not mean you can reveal everything to everyone.
I had a fleeting mental image of his doctor sitting up, clapping his hands, and going, "OOooooo! Do I get to choose?"

~Psihala