snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 August 2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
One mattress that changes density in the middle can't be much more comfortable than two different mattresses side by side with a single cushioned top and sheet.
I was thinking more of the practical issues of having a split down the middle of the bed -- beyond surface comfort, if either mattress slips to the side, there's gap down the middle of the bed. This isn't a problem with the split box springs used for many king-size beds, because the bedframe holds the box springs units in place. I've never seen a bedframe that extends high enough to hold two mattresses together.

ETA: And a fitted sheet that was tight enough to hold them in place would be hard to put on, IMO.
Old 14 August 2017, 05:15 PM

It would be a waste of mattress money for me as I just don't care. But I've always wondered, I share a bed with someone who thinks a good division of the space is 60-40 (and that's if I'm lucky). I'm assuming the idea is you get to "Select Comfort" 50% of the mattress? I wonder what it would feel like to do that but be taking up more space. Would you notice if one leg was stuck in a different comfort zone?
Old 14 August 2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Why invent a whole new thing with a primary difference that isn't necessary?

Because they can sell it.

A great deal of the modern economy seems to be based on selling such things.

(Whether the beds are actually more comfortable I have no idea; I've never used one.)

-- Lainie, the advantage of a fitted sheet tight enough to be somewhat hard to put on is that, once it's on, it stays there, nice and tight and unwrinkled; even if the weather's way too hot and you toss and turn all night. Unfortunately they've gotten very hard to find, probably because there are now so many different mattress sizes.

(That won't work if the sheet's way too tight, because in that case it's not possible to get the corners properly into the pockets. But one that's moderately tight stays put much better than a loose one.)
Old 14 August 2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the point of a Sleep Number bed? If we all have our own best number (as some of the ads imply) why not just get a regular mattress that matches that number? I can see its purpose in hotels, if you're a strange sort that wants your bed soft today and firm tomorrow, or if you're a VERY accommodating host furnishing your guest room, but for most of us - why?
In addition to the other reasons, logistics. It would take 21 conventional beds to equal the number of settings on a Sleep Number bed (they go from 0 to 100 by 5). Stocking a mattress store with that many beds would take up a lot of floor space and/or warehouse space.

And one of the ads talks about how you can adjust the bed on the fly to accommodate different needs. I think the example given was if you've been doing a lot of work and your back is bothering you, you can firm up the mattress to help.
Old 15 August 2017, 01:23 PM

Baseball

The models at the store around here are also adjustable insofar as being able to lift the knees and/or back to make it comfortable to watch television or read.

Those might be higher end versions, I don't know.
Old 15 August 2017, 03:27 PM

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Maybe winter hair? Our Shetland ponies lived outside and got very, very wooly in the winter. And mangy looking in the spring when they shed. The local birds loved it. Any bird's nest you would find had a lot of pony hair in it.
Thanks Sooeygun. I guess the horses I've known have all been in relatively heated barns.
Old 15 August 2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Lainie, the advantage of a fitted sheet tight enough to be somewhat hard to put on is that, once it's on, it stays there, nice and tight and unwrinkled; even if the weather's way too hot and you toss and turn all night. Unfortunately they've gotten very hard to find, probably because there are now so many different mattress sizes.
I have been trying, and failing, to find some old-fashioned, crisp percale sheets for under $100. Not microfiber, not jersey, not sateen: percale. It doesn't help that the reviews tend to be skewed by people who weren't satisfied because the sheets aren't soft enough.

Years ago I had the most amazing set: thick and crisp, but not rough. I think they were triple hand-me-downs: I got them from my mom, who got them from one of my brothers, who I think got them from a friend who no longer needed them. I tried to find sheets from the same brand, but apparently it had been discontinued/gone out of business.
Old 15 August 2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have been trying, and failing, to find some old-fashioned, crisp percale sheets for under $100.
You might try these, though depending on your bed size they might or might not be under your price ceiling.

The ones I linked to are for modern mattresses, but they also come in "slender", for a nice tight fit on older mattresses. I've got some.

They might not be as "thick" as you're describing, I'm not sure; but they're definitely percale, and so far they're holding up well.
Old 15 August 2017, 04:03 PM

Thank you! Those are among the ones I'm considering. I'd prefer a brighter color or a print, but if they feel right, I can live with the pastel.

I'm also considering these, which are similar in price. A few dollars more, but brighter colors, too. And so far I haven't seen any reviews mentioning wrinkles.

I don't iron my clothes, I'm certainly not going to iron sheets.
Old 15 August 2017, 05:26 PM

Get it together. Those sheets look like they've been slept in.
Old 16 August 2017, 03:17 AM

My wife and I have a mid-range queen-sized Sleep Number mattress - it's by far the most comfortable mattress we've owned. We didn't spring for the specially made base; we just put a sheet of plywood on top of our regular box spring and it works just fine. We do use slightly different numbers; I prefer a firmer setting than she does. The "density change" isn't really an issue; you can tell there's a difference in support when moving from one side to the other, but it isn't particularly noticeable if one limb happens to stray to the other side. (And in those instances when we're sharing space more completely, neither of us have as yet complained about differences in mattress firmness.)

I suppose it might be different if our "Sleep Numbers" were separated by a wider margin - we're both in the mid-firm range. (We also both use WAY firmer settings that what were recommended to us by the in-store testing. I can't imagine sleeping on such a soft cushion without having agonizing back pain the next day.)
Old 19 August 2017, 12:17 AM

Computer

I just got a Windows 10 laptop. In my previous Windows 7 laptop that died to a cup of coffee w/ cream I was able select a setting that locates the cursor. You could right click and the cursor would briefly look as if it were targeted by a sniper with a flickering, circular display. I've made a temporary solution by enlarging the cursor and making them darkly black, but would really like my target back. I've tried in the Windows Ease of Access settings as well as in the standard mouse settings. Any hints?

ETA: Found it!! Mouse control, Additional options, Pointer options, Show Location of Pointer when I use the Ctrl key.

I have to say I am very slowly getting used to W10. I'd still be using XP if I could.

Last edited by Morning; 19 August 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 19 August 2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post

I have to say I am very slowly getting used to W10. I'd still be using XP if I could.
Ditto.

My "stolen from spouse" laptop is Windows 7 and close enough to XP that I have no problems, but the new desktop is Windows 10 and it has a learning curve.
Old 20 August 2017, 01:47 PM

There are so many Trump related threads but I wasn't sure where to ask this. I don't know if it's a stupid question or not either but anyway here goes: a friend of mine expressed the opinion that (paraphrased) "Women who are working for the Trump White House are like Jews who supported Hitler". I get what she was trying to say but I'm not sure I agree with her. Or at least I'm not sure if the comparison is particularly appropriate given that I don't think there were any Jews who supported Hitler, certainly not openly and willingly or because they agreed with him and wanted him to prevail. But still the comment made me wonder why, aside from a paycheque, would any woman want to work for Donald Trump.
Old 20 August 2017, 02:14 PM

There were a few, at least at first.

I don't think the current situation is comparable, though.
Old 20 August 2017, 02:18 PM

Oh interesting! Thank you for that link, Latiam. Hmm, perhaps my friend was more on the mark than I thought she was. In which case going with the "at first" aspect of this comparison "we ain't seen nothing yet" .
Old 21 August 2017, 07:54 AM

I guess they don't see him as sexist. I'm still wondering why, as low as his favourability is, there are still millions who say they are "proud" of him. During the campaign I could kind of get an idea but even his supporters are far less loudmouthed than they used to be, leaving us to guess why they support him even after all of this. Presumably they just don't believe anything the media says about him. Or, as in the case of at least one supporter I've known my whole life, wanted him to be a troll from the start. That couple is now silent on the subject but I suppose they still do want a troll. They seemed to think it was funny any time he would do or say something terrible. Anyway, of those millions, I'm sure there are still plenty who would work for him, in addition to those who would like the pay check.
Old 21 August 2017, 12:32 PM

Some of them probably think just about everybody is sexist, so it's no big deal that Trump is; that's just what the world is like. (Or, to fine-tune it a bit, that talking about sex isn't sexist, and they lump all talking-about-sex in one box and aren't seeing the distinction created by the word "grab".)

And some of them weren't/aren't so much Trump supporters as Hillary haters; or Democrat-in-general or liberal-in-general despisers. Or business-as-usual despisers, for that matter. Whatever else Trump is, he's not business-as-usual -- or, at any rate, he wasn't. The longer he stays in office, the more he becomes business-as-usual by default, especially to people not paying attention to the details. It gets harder to run against the government when you're running it.

And as far as working for the White House -- for one thing, that's probably a pretty good paycheck. For another, people may expect it to look good on their resumé -- though that factor, I suspect, is becoming less and less so as time goes on. For a third, some people may think that once in there they can influence things in a direction they want those things to go in (which might not be a direction I want, of course; but might not be one of the entirely insane ones) -- though I get the impression that some are giving up on that one, also. In the corners where less attention is being paid, however, I don't know whether that technique might be working, or appear to be working, for some of those working there.