snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 22 June 2017, 08:43 PM

I don't think that actually puts it to rest, whatever NBC thinks. A tweet is hardly testimony under oath, and I don't know that I'd believe Trump under oath, either.

What I think we can safely conclude is that either there are no tapes, or, if there are, they back Comey and not Trump.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:08 AM

Agree. Anyone who thinks that comment "puts the matter to rest" hasn't been paying any attention for the past year.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:35 AM

The way that some of the leaks seem to be driven by Trump scaring even his supporters, it would be very risky to lie about it if there really are tapes. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't lie about it.
Old 23 June 2017, 01:01 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I don't know the story arc of that series after the first book, but it's a real problem in the world that very religious people think every bad thing that happens is just part of God's plan, and the world is going to end in their lifetimes no matter what they do. So if they really believe that way, then it makes sense for them to be complacent and let the world burn rather than doing anything tangible to try to make it better. Left Behind is a representation of how tens of millions of American Christian voters actually perceive the world.
Actually Fred Clark writes that many Evangelicals learned this behavior because they read the books.

His columns on the books are extremely informative and entertaining.
Old 24 June 2017, 11:14 PM

Mouse

I know it's only tangentially related, but I feel a need to share this article with you all. If I'm going to be perpetually headdesking until 2020 at the earliest, I feel I shouldn't do it alone. How can you still doubt Trump's intelligence?

Apparently the fact that Trump doesn't actually have tapes of conversations with James Comey cancels out all the truly damning stuff James Comey has already said. Heck, maybe it magically cancels out all the stuff Donald Trump has actually said. Most criminals can't keep their stories straight for at least five minutes.
Old 24 June 2017, 11:52 PM

So what has Kathleen Parker been smoking?
Old 25 June 2017, 12:28 AM

How so? I didn't see anything in the article that would suggest that she's far off-base.
Old 25 June 2017, 12:58 AM

She's ascribing Trump's behavior as being some sort of highly cunning plan, when Trump has yet to demonstrate that he actually understands the concept of a plan and is doing anything other than flailing wildly and saying everything that pops into his head while projecting all his personal faults onto whomever he's currently mad at.
Old 25 June 2017, 11:57 AM

At the end of the article, however, she says "or maybe he's just as confused as he hopes everyone else is." I don't think (based on the whole tone) that she's actually praising his intelligence.
Old 25 June 2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The way that some of the leaks seem to be driven by Trump scaring even his supporters, it would be very risky to lie about it if there really are tapes. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't lie about it.
Trump is a pathological liar and as such he likely believes that other are the same way he is - just lying. This explains his propensity to deny facts and decry anything critical of him as fake news or as liars. He doesn’t care about bluffing about tapes or lack thereof or the implications of what bluffing (and being called on it) does for him. He just thinks that lying is part of the game and that its bluster that matters. He knows there are no tapes and never were. He just wanted to out bluster Comey to get something favorable to him. It didn’t work so Trump falls back on lying about what is out there to frame the narrative around him. That plays into his other trait, narcissism.

Trouble is, bluster and bluffing only get you so far in politics and Trump already has proven that its easy to call his bluff. Why would any hostile foreign leader take anything Trump says seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
She's ascribing Trump's behavior as being some sort of highly cunning plan, when Trump has yet to demonstrate that he actually understands the concept of a plan and is doing anything other than flailing wildly and saying everything that pops into his head while projecting all his personal faults onto whomever he's currently mad at.
Trump thinks he is playing chess but he isn’t. His lack of experience and due to the fact that I think he is also an idiot that uses posture and bluster to intimidate others means that unless you believe in him unequivocally without fault, you can see how obvious that he is playing tiddlywinks and every other adult in the room is seeing it for what it is. Some, like Russia and fellow Republicans love it because they can exploit him. Our allies and other countries see him as an embarrassment and that reflects badly on us.

Last edited by diddy; 25 June 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 25 June 2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Trouble is, bluster and bluffing only get you so far in politics
It got Trump elected POTUS.

I can, unfortunately, see why he thinks that it works.
Old 25 June 2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It got Trump elected POTUS.

I can, unfortunately, see why he thinks that it works.
Well I was thinking about the effect once you get elected but yea.