snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 March 2018, 02:30 PM

Glasses

I came this close || to being part of a multi-car accident--at least, it felt that way to me.

I was on I-5 south, just past where the collector/distributor rejoins the freeway. This is a nasty spot because you have three lanes on the left (two traffic lanes and an express lane) being joined by two lanes on the right--one of which becomes an exit only lane. There's always a lot of weaving about, as cars from the main line try to get over to the exit lane by moving right, and cars that don't want to exit get out of that lane. Plus, there're all the cars that plod along in the left general traffic lane because they don't want to do either, but neither do they want to drive fast, and the people who can't change lanes without braking--all in all, it's always a mess.

Today, however, it was less of a mess than usual because traffic was actually moving at freeway speeds. Except for vehicles like the cement truck in the lane to my right, which was doing its best (both in terms of speed and trying to get out of the lanes going fast), and the pickup in front of me, which had just gotten out from behind the cement truck. Along comes a dark little car that zips past me on the right as if I were standing still (I was going 65), zips around both the cement truck and the pickup and flies another few hundred feet before being forced to brake because of general traffic speed.

That car was fine. The car that almost caused the accident was the white car who tried to do the same thing, even though there was much less room to change lanes between me and the cement truck without plowing into the back of the pickup. He made it by the skin of his teeth and once he made it past the cement truck, went right back into the right-hand, exit only lane--where he had to brake to below 50 mph (from something over 70) in order to exit. I really thought he was going to slam into the back of the pickup, or the cement truck.

Just shows to go. Some people have more luck than they deserve.

Seaboe
Old 05 March 2018, 03:01 PM

I think I remember that spot. Or at least one just like it. Nerve-wracking.

My daughter is back in Ohio (to stay), and has remarked how nice it is to drive at freeway speeds on the freeway.
Old 05 March 2018, 03:37 PM

MisterGrey, one of the things I like best about these boards is that I've seen people change their minds here (and, occasionally, have had my own mind changed.)

Hope your life goes well from here, and we'll miss you.

-- I hate, hate, hate heavy traffic moving at high speeds. I don't mind (reasonably) high speeds if the traffic is light, so that I can keep my distance from everybody except maybe one car overtaking me or that I'm passing. And I can deal with heavy traffic that's moving slowly. But heavy traffic moving fast is terrifying. One person doing the wrong thing -- or even one person doing the right thing except that they don't know something's about to go suddenly seriously wrong with their car -- can so easily crack up multiple cars all of which had been doing the best they could in the situation.
Old 05 March 2018, 04:04 PM

We had about a metre of snow fall over the past week. More up on higher ground in the next county where one of my sons and his wife live. It's melting now and life is coming back to normal.

We caught a glimpse of what it's like for people who have to live in these type of conditions all winter. It's not something that I would like to do again. Despite plenty of warnings that the storm was coming, we ran out of some essentials and my son having finally gotten out of his house is still not able to get out of his road and down to the nearest village.

Many people here grumble that our municipal authorities always fail to deal with heavy snowfalls and that the country grinds to a halt for the duration. Whilst this is true, most times all we ever get is a little dusting which melts within a day or two, so there's rarely any need for heavy duty equipment to be used once in a decade or so.
Old 05 March 2018, 07:42 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
We caught a glimpse of what it's like for people who have to live in these type of conditions all winter.
I would say that you got more than a glimpse.

Coming from the land that was once called "a few acres of snow" you got hit pretty hard.

We have infrastructure built to handle large snowfalls, yours isn't.
We have contingencies and equipment to handle lots of snow, you don't.
Every house here is equipped to move or displace snow (snowblowers, shovels, salt, teenagers etc), not every house in Ireland is.
Every car has tires for snow, a block heater where it gets real cold, and is used to driving on icy, snowy, gritted roads, and I'm certain, given every Irish army officer I've driven with, that the Irish do not know how to drive in snow, rain, ice, sun, wind, clear, fog or straight.
We are ingrained to be able to deal with snow, since we've dealt with it since childhood, you aren't.

But what you do have...

The ability to look at the snow, and do what you can to get Ireland moving again.
The vision that this will make one great, funny anecdote during the summer.
The knowledge that if you were really, really stuck, your neighbours and friends would do everything they could to help you out.
The thoughts that "thank goodness this is only temporary" that keep you going.

That makes you have had more than a glimpse of what it's like elsewhere.

Next winter, you are more than welcome to come my way to experience winter
Old 05 March 2018, 09:42 PM

After-work headaches. I'm not sure what's causing them. Eating and drinking water don't seem to alleviate them. It feels kind of like a caffeine withdrawal headache but my caffeine intake is the same whether I work or don't work (one cup of coffee, started around 7 or 8 and finished up by 9 or 10). My sleep habits don't seem to be linked. I exercise in the late afternoon or evening regardless of work so I don't think that's tied to it. The only thing i can think of is that it's stress related, like I come home and kind of implode?
Old 05 March 2018, 10:10 PM

mbravo, it might be stress related; but it's also possible there's something in the air at your workplace that doesn't bother most people but is bothering you.

Many modern building materials, furniture materials, drapes, etc. outgas various chemicals. Most people don't even notice. A few of us choke up feeling like we can't breathe, and/or notice a stink that apparently many people don't smell. I wouldn't be surprised if some people get headaches.
Old 06 March 2018, 12:22 AM

I hadn't thought of that. I'll try to keep track of whether it happens after being in certain buildings. That's another issue, it doesn't happen every day I work, but other than that I haven't kept track of a pattern.
Old 06 March 2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Every house here is equipped to move or displace snow (snowblowers, shovels, salt, teenagers etc), ...
That made me
Old 06 March 2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
On the topic of terrible business decisions: I used to work in a building next to a bar and grill. One morning I was walking into work and noticed a bunch of the bar and grill's employees standing in the parking lot, looking shocked. There was a "permanently closed" sign hanging in the bar's window. Apparently the owner hadn't given any of the employees any kind of advance notice that this was happening. He just posted the sign and vanished, leaving a lot of people suddenly out of a job.
My security's guard's wife was the store manager for a Carl's, Junior until about a month ago. The franchise owners showed up one night at 8 PM and said "the store is closed as of right now. We'll mail out your final checks. Bye already."

She spent the next two weeks interviewing with every fast food company before getting hired.

They had the nerve to offer her a transfer: seventy-five minutes away for literally (used correctly) have her salary.
Old 06 March 2018, 09:42 AM

Airplane

Today's project: a comically oversized "vintage" aviator's helmet

I knocked it together on my little sewing machine out of a handful of brown vinyl and some studs, buckles & eyelets. I made it to fit over a bicycle helmet so I can wear it while competing in the Moomba birdman rally this weekend.

The audience will be a long, long way away so there's next to no chance they'll see all those smaller details but they'll also be livecasting everything on a gigantic video screen so I need to look the best for my closeups.
Old 06 March 2018, 01:35 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
That made me
Glad to have given you a smile.
Old 06 March 2018, 01:37 PM

Background: Because the door to my front closet is wonky, and I rarely need all the seating in my living room, I've gotten in the habit of draping my coats over a chair.

This morning when I went out to the living room, my daughter's high-strung -- and recently relocated from Seattle -- tortie cat was lying on the coats. Well, okay, she's on the down coat, and it's not cold enough to need that today. I managed to pull the coat I did need out from lower in the pile without too greatly disturbing the cat.

Then, in an attempt to endear myself to her, I gave her a couple treats, then held out my hand for her to sniff. She sniffed it intently, then hissed and swatted at me.

Only after that did I realize that I needed my gloves and earmuffs -- which were in the pocket of the down coat. I got the gloves out, but the pocket with the earmuffs was unreachable without moving the cat. So I wore my backup earband.
Old 06 March 2018, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
...for literally (used correctly) have her salary.
Literally is used correctly, but have is not--you mean half, I assume.

My question is--did they actually mail out the final checks they promised?

Back in October, my BFF sent me home with a huge bag of candy. It took me until the end of February to eat it all. Yesterday, a package arrived. I knew it was coming, because she called me when she found all this dog food on sale ($0.31 for packets of soft food that usually cost between $1.30 and $1.60 each). What I didn't expect was that the package would be 1/2 full of dog food and 1/2 full of candy. I'm almost back to square one on the candy front.

Seaboe
Old 06 March 2018, 04:16 PM

So my daughter got married today. She's been in a long term relationship with an Ecuadoran. The marriage was a necessary step so they can move to another country together. The way it worked out, I had twelve hours notice, but I'm happy that she called me to let me know it was happening in advance. Her husband may have been named after a famous dictator.
Old 06 March 2018, 04:21 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
We have infrastructure built to handle large snowfalls, yours isn't.
We have contingencies and equipment to handle lots of snow, you don't.
Every house here is equipped to move or displace snow (snowblowers, shovels, salt, teenagers etc), not every house in Ireland is.
Every car has tires for snow, a block heater where it gets real cold, and is used to driving on icy, snowy, gritted roads, and I'm certain, given every Irish army officer I've driven with, that the Irish do not know how to drive in snow, rain, ice, sun, wind, clear, fog or straight.
We are ingrained to be able to deal with snow, since we've dealt with it since childhood, you aren't.
I read an article a few months ago about snow clearing in Canada and it was very insightful, how snow clearing is such a big industry here in north North America.

Quote:
Whether or not the Inuit really have 52 words for snow as an anthropologist once claimed, there is no question that Canadians have far more than 52 types of snow shovel.

8 shovels, none perfect

A search of my household turned up eight, each with its imperfection.
But keep in mind that not everyone in the Great White North is equally prepared to handle a "dump" of one meter of snow. Everyone here remembers the time that Torontah had to call in the army to help clear the streets...
Old 06 March 2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
So my daughter got married today. She's been in a long term relationship with an Ecuadoran. The marriage was a necessary step so they can move to another country together. The way it worked out, I had twelve hours notice, but I'm happy that she called me to let me know it was happening in advance. Her husband may have been named after a famous dictator.
Congratulations, Beachlife's daughter and spouse!

-- and we will hope he doesn't behave like a dictator, famous or otherwise.
Old 06 March 2018, 05:51 PM

Beachlife, congratulations to your daughter and Adolph. Mao?
Old 06 March 2018, 06:02 PM

I now introduce for the first time, Mr and Mrs Juan Perón.
Old 06 March 2018, 06:40 PM

Glasses

Don't Cry for Me, Argentina. The truth is, I never left you.

Actually, the name that came to my mind was Manuel Noriega.

Seaboe